Extreme lag. RAM management tips?

GabrielC97

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been running really really low on ram lately, and I have no idea what to do to keep the usage low. I believe I have 1gb. Minus the system reserve, that's about 780mb. When I check the usage, it says I have about 16mb left. Im running the official release of the Carbon Mod. On Android 4.3.1 I've gone through the performance settings and adjusted a few ram settings that are supposed to make it better, but nothing changed.

In the usage menu, there are tons of apps that are running, but there isn't an option to close them.

What can I do to keep usage low?
Should I change ROMs?

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been running really really low on ram lately, and I have no idea what to do to keep the usage low. I believe I have 1gb. Minus the system reserve, that's about 780mb. When I check the usage, it says I have about 16mb left. Im running the official release of the Carbon Mod. On Android 4.3.1 I've gone through the performance settings and adjusted a few ram settings that are supposed to make it better, but nothing changed.

In the usage menu, there are tons of apps that are running, but there isn't an option to close them.

Should I change ROMs?

Welcome to the forums.
You actually don't want RAM to be empty in Android. Android prefers the RAM to be full.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Should I change ROMs?

I believe you mean "carbon Rom" and yeah it is one of the most stable stock roms but I had some of the same issues when I tried it. It is it affecting your real world use?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

GabrielC97

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Its really affecting my real world use because the phone lags everytime I enter the multitasking screen, when I switch apps, when I open apps, and it sometimes force closes everything. It also takes about 3 seconds for everything to load on the home screen after I push the home button.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Its really affecting my real world use because the phone lags everytime I enter the multitasking screen, when I switch apps, when I open apps, and it sometimes force closes everything. It also takes about 3 seconds for everything to load on the home screen after I push the home button.

Do you know what apps are running in the background?