Wow, this forum is a ghost town! :-(

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
HTC was always one of the brands widely seen even in stores back when smartphones were nascent.

People would have seen their logo in many places back then, so how can it be said that HTC "is not a known brand"?

I don't get people.

I think the times have changed since then. Pretty much if it isn't an Apple or Samsung it is an unknown (relatively speaking) brand and would get little to no attention/consideration from the average consumer. That appears to be what the smartphone market has been reduced to. I think HTC is definitely an obscure brand in the big picture nowadays. Just my 0.02 of course.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the times have changed since then. Pretty much if it isn't an Apple or Samsung it is an unknown (relatively speaking) brand and would get little to no attention/consideration from the average consumer. That appears to be what the smartphone market has been reduced to. I think HTC is definitely an obscure brand in the big picture nowadays. Just my 0.02 of course.

I do think you have a point.

I think it also has to do with the fact that many phone consumers do not know the other brands out there; and go to phone stores/kiosks and sales reps (who get commission on the most expensive phones - Apple, Samsung) push the "most popular/expensive" and influence their purchasing choice.

I'm not saying these purchasing choices are wrong - my brother and my in-laws use iPhones and my mom has a Samsung phone - but I am saying that a lot of people just want something that "works" and is well-known; and don't always do the research to see the other great options out there. It's kind of a mixed bag. Then there are those of us who do hours and weeks of research and get different phones from different brands.

I love HTC and really wanted an HTC U11. I also remember being fascinated by the M7/8. It's too bad that this is happening to HTC.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
The general consumer is a sheep and pays no attention to anything other than what their friends have.

Is there a new flagship from HTC this year or are they dead officially?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The general consumer is a sheep and pays no attention to anything other than what their friends have.

Is there a new flagship from HTC this year or are they dead officially?

I've been waiting for any kind of information on an upcoming HTC flagship; but I've seen nothing as of yet! Hopefully we hear something soon!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well it's about to get a little smaller. Just ordered an S10+. I'm worried about not having Sense anymore, it'll be the first time in 12 years, and I'm a little concerned about some of the things I've heard about One UI, but I needed a new phone on my plan and couldn't see why not to take the plunge. It was great it was fun but the end really fizzled.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Well it's about to get a little smaller. Just ordered an S10+. I'm worried about not having Sense anymore, it'll be the first time in 12 years, and I'm a little concerned about some of the things I've heard about One UI, but I needed a new phone on my plan and couldn't see why not to take the plunge. It was great it was fun but the end really fizzled.
I currently have the S8 and I'll be getting the S10 Friday. For the first time in two years of owning this device, I'm giving Samsung's two year old Samsung Experience a try. If it's any indication (as it relates to One UI) it's actually pretty good. I'm on day three and it's kinda great. And One UI kind of looks like a updated version of the Samsung Experience so I'm hopeful. I'm sure I'll go back to Nova at some point, but it's a great change of pace.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I've got a S10+ on preorder too. I'll keep my U12+ as well, but we'll see which one I rely on more.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

How are you enjoying your S10+? For the first time ever, I'm considering a Samsung phone as my next device (S10e). I hear the battery life on the Plus/regular 10 is killer!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh the battery is beyond belief compared to every HTC I've ever had including the two I bought battery cases for but I'll tell you the initial transition is rough. The menus are so categorized and segmented in, what feels like, odd ways. Initially I couldn't find anything. The really odd thing about is when you go into a menu there are suggestions for other things that you might be looking for. If that's the intuitive spot then why isn't it there? Besides the learning curve the phone is beautiful, the screen is super but the curved edges take some getting used to. My biggest thing about the screen is trying to decide whether to do the dome glass thing. I want a better screen protector, I mean the pre installed one is ok but it's not really offering any protection, real protection, but glueing something to my screen doesn't seem right either, so I'm still on the fence. Having come from a line of phones that don't have a notch I really don't notice the punch hole that much. I've never been a camera guy so it takes decent pics for me. The sound is pretty good too but I mostly play audio thru Bluetooth. I don't like the themes as much as I liked the HTC themes, which brings up Samsung. They act like Apple, everything costs. Want a wallpaper $.99 want a theme $1.99 want some icons $.70, I just don't want to pay for something i'm probably going to change in a week or two, maybe a day or two. They also want to be like Google and get you to share all your info with them. They have an app that does your passwords, a browser, a pay app, the Samsung experience app... I've been reluctant but again this is one of those leaning curve things that I'll probably buy into the longer I'm with them. It's like being thrown into the deep end of the pool unexpectedly. Yeah you know how to swim but you have to learn to swim our way. Lol. One UI is nothing like Sense.

Morty2264

Last edited:

EMostafa

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
My first smartphone is the HTC U1. I dare say that there are few people have used it. The design was very trendy, running the Windows Mobile system, but the os very snail. I remember it was a nightmare for me. I quickly gave up on it, but it's happened 10 years ago. HTC is the absolute pioneer of smartphones. We must respect them.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to think it's because everyone is enjoying their great phone.

That is my reason... the U12+ has been great! I think AC did their ENTIRE review on just the buttons because there was no other problem with the phone. The battery life is not quite as good as the U11 (probably related to needing a more powerful LED array for the backlight due to the length), but it's better than the S10. I just finished two and a half days on one charge, and my average screen on time is five and a half hours.

gargamel314

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I for one am going to be sad the day I have to upgrade phones. I absolutely love my U12+. HTC does not really seem reliable anymore, does it? It's July 2019, Android Pie has been out close to a year now, and the patch is just now rolling out to the U12+ (still waiting). I'm also frustrated by AT&T not supporting it like it does its other phones. I amazingly have VoLTE, but no wi-fi calling or HD calling (HD calling provides a lot of other cool features like visual voice mail, robo-call filtering, etc). I don't think I'd buy another HTC phone because of the lack of support for their phones.

I took a 2-year vacation from HTC with the Galaxy S7, when my wife wanted one, and AT&T was offering a BOGO. I actually tried very hard to bring my M8 over from Verizon, but it wasn't compatible. Yeah, Samsung makes incredible phones, but they ruin them with terrible bloatware, a single cheap sounding speaker, and Apple-like control over everything. And their buttons are backwards from everyone else. I was so happy to have an HTC again, but now HTC suddenly sucks as a company.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I replace my U12+, can't go back to Samsung, and HTC probably won't make anything in 2020. I am hoping this patch gives my phone a little more functionality.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what I'm going to do when I replace my U12+, can't go back to Samsung, and HTC probably won't make anything in 2020. I am hoping this patch gives my phone a little more functionality.

Well I felt the same way especially since I'd never had anything other than HTC. Then I needed to replace a phone on my plan so I upgraded and got the S10+. I miss the finger print scanner on the back but actually after a few months with it I think I like it more. As for the buttons being backwards you can, at least on the S10, change them to the "right" configuration. Lol. The menus were the hardest part for me. HTC seemed simple and kinda straight forward while Samsung seems all over the place and maybe too detailed... IDK but when you open a setting menu and at the bottom it asks if you're looking for this other thing, that says to me that it isn't in the right spot. Oh and one other beef I have is the side to side paging in the app drawer. If you want to add an app to a folder or something you can scroll but just going thru the apps you have to page. Speaking of the app drawer, they list the folders you've created in there, ok not such a bad idea, until you realize that apps in folders don't show up in the app drawer. That's kinda irritating. But overall it's a good phone and I really like it, the better I get with it, and I don't miss the ridiculous side touch but sense would be nice.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
...they just better get more carriers on board if they're going to save their business.

Losing Verizon really hurt them I'm sure. Not sure why they pulled back from them because several years, some back to back, HTC had the phone off the year or the phone to beat. I don't think they'll stop making phones tho. They might focus on other international markets and offer the US whatever users in the know might want but that's just speculation on my part.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I was kinda disappointed that they didn't release a flagship in 2019. They changed Cher's position and have a new guy in charge, and he says they will be refocusing on their flagships. So hopefully, they decided to put all their efforts into 2020, rather than release a stop-gap flagship in 2019. Here it is 2020, and the updated U12 Plus still outperforms pretty much everything except the Note 10+, so it's not like HTC was desperate to get another device out there.

So, I'm keeping my hopes up for HTC to release something wonderful, with the simple announcement of "We're back".

realtor007

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
I was kinda disappointed that they didn't release a flagship in 2019. They changed Cher's position and have a new guy in charge, and he says they will be refocusing on their flagships. So hopefully, they decided to put all their efforts into 2020, rather than release a stop-gap flagship in 2019. Here it is 2020, and the updated U12 Plus still outperforms pretty much everything except the Note 10+, so it's not like HTC was desperate to get another device out there.

So, I'm keeping my hopes up for HTC to release something wonderful, with the simple announcement of "We're back".

Agreed that the U12+ is still great v the new phones, and I love mine. They can't be purchased from HTC anymore. Sharing the hope that HTC has another release wonderful.