HTC U12+ emitting chemical smell

Andy2D

Nov 23, 2019
Visit site
I've had my U12+ since August 2018 (been a constant HTC owner since the Desire HD in 2010) and over the past few weeks I've noticed a strange chemical-type smell coming out the top around where the microphone is. It smells kind of like a Sharpie or permanent marker and is most noticable when the phone is on but is also there when it's charging. I charge my phone overnight by the bed and have been waking up with a headache because of it. I hadn't noticed anything at all until maybe two weeks ago, but it seems to be getting worse. The phone has never been dropped or damaged, and I like to think I take good care of my tech. Has anyone else experienced this?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would contact HTC , and wouldn't charge overnight anymore just in case it's the battery giving off that smell.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

I have a U12+, but haven't noticed any odd smells. To be fair though, I don't use it as my daily driver, and haven't powered it on in a few days. Tomorrow I'll power it up, and keep an eye on it for a few days to see if I notice anything. I'll report back if I notice the same as you.

As @mustang7757 suggested, I'd contact HTC, and keep an eye out while charging just in case.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had my U12+ since August 2018 (been a constant HTC owner since the Desire HD in 2010) and over the past few weeks I've noticed a strange chemical-type smell coming out the top around where the microphone is. It smells kind of like a Sharpie or permanent marker and is most noticable when the phone is on but is also there when it's charging. I charge my phone overnight by the bed and have been waking up with a headache because of it. I hadn't noticed anything at all until maybe two weeks ago, but it seems to be getting worse. The phone has never been dropped or damaged, and I like to think I take good care of my tech. Has anyone else experienced this?

Have you had any other issues? Did you contact HTC? I pulled my U12+ out and haven't noticed the chemical smell. Also I forgot how much I like the size/weight ratio of this phone.

Andy2D

Nov 23, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I haven't contacted HTC about it yet - that's probably a good idea. I've noticed sometimes I have to wait a few seconds after pressing the power button for the phone to wake up which I never used to, but that only happens rarely. It is a recent thing though. It's possible the battery is draining quicker lately as well, but that might just be my usage too. I haven't had any other issues, except with the touchy volume buttons at times (has a tendency for the volume to turn itself right up when I'm holding the phone, but aren't touching the button), which I believe is a known issue and has been like that ever since I first got the phone. I don't use a case or screen protector either. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything from HTC. What's the best way to contact them, through their website?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would contact them via their website. Also, it may be a good idea to always be in the room when you are charging your phone - but in case the battery is indeed giving off that smell, I would recommend not having your head near that odour.

Please keep us posted!

Andy2D

Nov 23, 2019
Visit site
I got in contact with HTC through their website (did a live chat). They were very polite and asked for the IMEI number, a copy of the purchase reciept and some pictures of the phone. This is when I noticed some dark kind of leaking stuff through part of the transparent back cover. They advised me not to use the phone anymore because it might be dangerous. The warranty was not valid anymore as I bought the phone online and it wasn't a locally manufactured unit (I'm in Australia and apparently the phone was shipped from Hong Kong), was outside the 12 month warranty limit, etc, etc. They wanted to charge me an upfront $65 USD Global Warranty Service Fee (for shipping of parts for overseas variants) and a $49.50 AUD Diagnostic Fee (Assessment Fee and Freight charges back and forth) excluding the possible additional quotation for the parts that would need replacement (which would have cost who knows how much).

Needless to say I've decided to ditch the HTC U12+ and I've gone out and bought a Samsung S10+, which I'm still getting used to but like a lot. Luckily I copied all my data from the U12+ last weekend, because just tonight I've noticed it's suffered a catastrophic failure. What I assume is the battery has expanded and delaminated the back cover completely off the phone in the top corner, across the top edge and down the side opposite the one with the buttons, and it doesn't turn on anymore. I watched the screen flicker and die.

I still have no idea what caused this failure, but it definitely appears to be battery related. I've been using mobile phones since 1998 (exclusively HTC smartphones since 2010) and this is the first phone I've had destroy itself on me for unknown reasons. For a phone only about 15 months old it's pretty dissapointing.

Anyway, the S10+ seems like a pretty good one - I only hope it lasts longer than the U12+ did!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeesh, that's a lousy situation.:-\ You did all the right things, but it's unfortunate that it happened outside of the warranty period. Enjoy the S10+!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I got in contact with HTC through their website (did a live chat). They were very polite and asked for the IMEI number, a copy of the purchase reciept and some pictures of the phone. This is when I noticed some dark kind of leaking stuff through part of the transparent back cover. They advised me not to use the phone anymore because it might be dangerous. The warranty was not valid anymore as I bought the phone online and it wasn't a locally manufactured unit (I'm in Australia and apparently the phone was shipped from Hong Kong), was outside the 12 month warranty limit, etc, etc. They wanted to charge me an upfront $65 USD Global Warranty Service Fee (for shipping of parts for overseas variants) and a $49.50 AUD Diagnostic Fee (Assessment Fee and Freight charges back and forth) excluding the possible additional quotation for the parts that would need replacement (which would have cost who knows how much).

Needless to say I've decided to ditch the HTC U12+ and I've gone out and bought a Samsung S10+, which I'm still getting used to but like a lot. Luckily I copied all my data from the U12+ last weekend, because just tonight I've noticed it's suffered a catastrophic failure. What I assume is the battery has expanded and delaminated the back cover completely off the phone in the top corner, across the top edge and down the side opposite the one with the buttons, and it doesn't turn on anymore. I watched the screen flicker and die.

I still have no idea what caused this failure, but it definitely appears to be battery related. I've been using mobile phones since 1998 (exclusively HTC smartphones since 2010) and this is the first phone I've had destroy itself on me for unknown reasons. For a phone only about 15 months old it's pretty dissapointing.

Anyway, the S10+ seems like a pretty good one - I only hope it lasts longer than the U12+ did!
S10 is a great Device , sorry your phone was out of warranty .

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
That definitely sounds like the battery failed. I'd ask to buy the remains for parts, but if it had a catastrophic failure, then chemicals from the battery may have leaked into the electronics and ruined the internals.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
In warranty or out, before this thread was reduced to 3 threads most of the talk was about how horrible HTC customer care and repairs have become. Posts saying that phones have been sent in for diagnosis and not being heard from for weeks or months. HTC almost refusing to make repairs even when the customer has agreed to pay for them. I know I keep mentioning this, but like you I've owned HTCs since the Incredible, and they were good phones. Well up until the U12+. I don't know, I never really liked it. Not like I've liked other phones. There was not thrill or excitement to it, at least for me. I never felt this way about a device and I felt that way since day one with this one.

The S10+ on the other hand, was excitement right out of the box. It took me forever it felt like to get used to their layout and menus. I still kind of hate the app drawer but it gives me that old feeling of actually enjoying a device. Again throwbacks to an era, I miss Sense and would rather have that than Bixby. Even though I was disappointed with the U12+ there were a lot of good times with HTC.

realtor007

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
In warranty or out, before this thread was reduced to 3 threads most of the talk was about how horrible HTC customer care and repairs have become. Posts saying that phones have been sent in for diagnosis and not being heard from for weeks or months. HTC almost refusing to make repairs even when the customer has agreed to pay for them. I know I keep mentioning this, but like you I've owned HTCs since the Incredible, and they were good phones. Well up until the U12+. I don't know, I never really liked it. Not like I've liked other phones. There was not thrill or excitement to it, at least for me. I never felt this way about a device and I felt that way since day one with this one.

The S10+ on the other hand, was excitement right out of the box. It took me forever it felt like to get used to their layout and menus. I still kind of hate the app drawer but it gives me that old feeling of actually enjoying a device. Again throwbacks to an era, I miss Sense and would rather have that than Bixby. Even though I was disappointed with the U12+ there were a lot of good times with HTC.

I've been using HTC since the EVO 3D, and now the U12+. Mine works great for me. I've gotten a good year out of it, and it's still classy. I hope HTC comes out with a 5G, but I've got my eye elsewhere for the next one. The buttons work fine most of the time for me. Rare to have an issue. I never charge overnight though. Off the charger as soon as the green shows up.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been using HTC since the EVO 3D, and now the U12+. Mine works great for me. I've gotten a good year out of it, and it's still classy. I hope HTC comes out with a 5G, but I've got my eye elsewhere for the next one. The buttons work fine most of the time for me. Rare to have an issue. I never charge overnight though. Off the charger as soon as the green shows up.
Oh mine worked. I didn't have a lot of the trouble many had mentioned with the fake buttons or haptic feedback. It was pretty and everyone who knew anything about phones would comment on it. For me it wasn't the hardware, I don't believe, it was the software. It just didn't mimic my previous HTC experiences and overall it just never felt right. It looked like HTC scrolling through it but it didn't feel like an HTC. In my opinion. I can't explain it any other way. My son loved it so maybe it was just me. I have to say my S10+ gives me all the warm and tingliesi got from every phone except the U12+.

realtor007

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
Oh mine worked. I didn't have a lot of the trouble many had mentioned with the fake buttons or haptic feedback. It was pretty and everyone who knew anything about phones would comment on it. For me it wasn't the hardware, I don't believe, it was the software. It just didn't mimic my previous HTC experiences and overall it just never felt right. It looked like HTC scrolling through it but it didn't feel like an HTC. In my opinion. I can't explain it any other way. My son loved it so maybe it was just me. I have to say my S10+ gives me all the warm and tingliesi got from every phone except the U12+.

Agreed, software is my biggest worry and annoyance. Long periods with no updates and less special stuff. It works, but it's not engaged like others were. I want that excitement, too! are you listening HTC? I know they are not. I even joined elevate some years ago, but didn't post enough to stay. Sigh. Samsung is fantastic hardware and attentive software. Sammy does not feel right to me, but it can work. Love the oneplus mclaren in stores. It's so fast and smooth and cool orange accents abound. The pop up single selfie camera is toy like, and the back camera is not as good as HTC. It makes me feel warm like a new HTC did. Not water tight like the 12+ for the times I get caught in the rain on a long bike ride, or on the lake. Wondering if the 12 is the last flagship before HTC disappears.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, software is my biggest worry and annoyance. Long periods with no updates and less special stuff. It works, but it's not engaged like others were. I want that excitement, too! are you listening HTC? I know they are not. I even joined elevate some years ago, but didn't post enough to stay. Sigh. Samsung is fantastic hardware and attentive software. Sammy does not feel right to me, but it can work. Love the oneplus mclaren in stores. It's so fast and smooth and cool orange accents abound. The pop up single selfie camera is toy like, and the back camera is not as good as HTC. It makes me feel warm like a new HTC did. Not water tight like the 12+ for the times I get caught in the rain on a long bike ride, or on the lake. Wondering if the 12 is the last flagship before HTC disappears.

The new CEO said they were still planning on releasing a flagship in 2020. What it's gonna be, who knows at this point. My biggest issue with my U12+ has nothing to do with hardware. The hardware is pretty great all in all. But the lack of security updates, taking almost until Android 10 until Pie was released, and Sense not being updated in so many years is why I'm no longer using mine as my DD.

realtor007

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
It's been months now where HTC is no longer selling phones. Nothing new announced. They may have quit without saying anything. Happy to have a working 12+ for now, but with no software updates in a while I think I'll move on this year. I thought they would triumph and return to selling the great handsets in volume needed. Advertising and marketing failed terrific hardware and very good software. Trolls piled on to create lots of doubt for cool new features and make acceptance stumble. I thought brilliance would prevail. Good bye HTC.