I've had my U12+ since August 2018 (been a constant HTC owner since the Desire HD in 2010) and over the past few weeks I've noticed a strange chemical-type smell coming out the top around where the microphone is. It smells kind of like a Sharpie or permanent marker and is most noticable when the phone is on but is also there when it's charging. I charge my phone overnight by the bed and have been waking up with a headache because of it. I hadn't noticed anything at all until maybe two weeks ago, but it seems to be getting worse. The phone has never been dropped or damaged, and I like to think I take good care of my tech. Has anyone else experienced this?
    11-23-2019 06:14 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a case or screen protector on?
    Andy2D likes this.
    11-23-2019 09:05 PM
    I would contact HTC , and wouldn't charge overnight anymore just in case it's the battery giving off that smell.
    B. Diddy, msm0511 and Andy2D like this.
    11-23-2019 10:27 PM
    Welcome to Android Central.

I have a U12+, but haven't noticed any odd smells. To be fair though, I don't use it as my daily driver, and haven't powered it on in a few days. Tomorrow I'll power it up, and keep an eye on it for a few days to see if I notice anything. I'll report back if I notice the same as you.

As @mustang7757 suggested, I'd contact HTC, and keep an eye out while charging just in case.
    mustang7757 and Andy2D like this.
    11-24-2019 11:09 PM
    I've had my U12+ since August 2018 (been a constant HTC owner since the Desire HD in 2010) and over the past few weeks I've noticed a strange chemical-type smell coming out the top around where the microphone is. It smells kind of like a Sharpie or permanent marker and is most noticable when the phone is on but is also there when it's charging. I charge my phone overnight by the bed and have been waking up with a headache because of it. I hadn't noticed anything at all until maybe two weeks ago, but it seems to be getting worse. The phone has never been dropped or damaged, and I like to think I take good care of my tech. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Have you had any other issues? Did you contact HTC? I pulled my U12+ out and haven't noticed the chemical smell. Also I forgot how much I like the size/weight ratio of this phone.
    Andy2D likes this.
    12-03-2019 06:48 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't contacted HTC about it yet - that's probably a good idea. I've noticed sometimes I have to wait a few seconds after pressing the power button for the phone to wake up which I never used to, but that only happens rarely. It is a recent thing though. It's possible the battery is draining quicker lately as well, but that might just be my usage too. I haven't had any other issues, except with the touchy volume buttons at times (has a tendency for the volume to turn itself right up when I'm holding the phone, but aren't touching the button), which I believe is a known issue and has been like that ever since I first got the phone. I don't use a case or screen protector either. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything from HTC. What's the best way to contact them, through their website?
    12-04-2019 07:11 AM
    I would contact them via their website. Also, it may be a good idea to always be in the room when you are charging your phone - but in case the battery is indeed giving off that smell, I would recommend not having your head near that odour.

Please keep us posted!
    12-04-2019 08:37 AM