Native photo editing

Epwhamilton

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Bit of a noob question here.... How do I ensure I can edit with the phone software before it uploads to Google Photos? I find the Mate 20s editing software a lot easier to use (and more powerful) Do I need to upload manually after I have done all my editing? Or do the originals update themselves in Google Photos? If they don't, editing with the phone software seems a bit of a waste of time.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Does the editing app give you the option to save to a different location than the original photo? If so, set it to the new or existing folder of your choice.

In Google Photos, go to settings, then backup and sync, then device folders. De-select the folder where your camera app saves the photos, and make sure the folder with the edited photos is selected (it may see this the first time you save an edit and prompt you to turn it on in the notification bar).

Basically you are telling Photos to ignore the unedited folder, but backup the edited folder. There's not a way to delay uploads until photos are edited, which is why you need to use separate folders.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are edited photos saved to a different folder? I had no idea!
I have used that app specifically, but any other editing app I've used has an option somewhere in the settings to set the saved location. If that isn't possible in your app, then you'd have to use a third party editor to pull this off. If you aren't willing to do that, then I don't think you'll be able to do what you want.

If you need editor suggestions, Snapseed is one of the most popular. Photoshop Express is another one I use. Both are pretty user friendly and handle raw files (if you're in to that kind of editing). For more detailed work or text entry, I also use this, but it doesn't have RAW support.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38