Found a fast charging power bank (battery) at a low cost for the Mate 9

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This is it. After reading and searching, I found a low priced power bank that does fast charging on the Mate 9. I bought it. I tried it. I'm taking it across the world this month.

Tronsmart Presto 10000mAh Ultra-Compact Portable External Battery Power Bank Battery Pack With Huawei FCP Fast Charging Technology
https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-10...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5835870

That's as big as it get but with some airlines, like BA, lowering their maximum allowed size down to 20,000 mHa, this will work.

If it fails, I'll be sure to come back and post that.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
That was me who asked. Then, as I continued to search for a product, I saw this video where a guy who appears to work for Tronsmart explained and demonstrated. So - I ordered - it works. I am kind of in a desperate situation given the type of travel I'm going to be doing.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
One thing I didn't know or just didn't understand is that it appears I can fast charge using a cable with USB-A on one end and USB-C into your phone. I always thought it had to be C on both ends.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
This is it. After reading and searching, I found a low priced power bank that does fast charging on the Mate 9. I bought it. I tried it. I'm taking it across the world this month.

Tronsmart Presto 10000mAh Ultra-Compact Portable External Battery Power Bank Battery Pack With Huawei FCP Fast Charging Technology
https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-10...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5888186

That's as big as it get but with some airlines, like BA, lowering their maximum allowed size down to 20,000 mHa, this will work.

If it fails, I'll be sure to come back and post that.

OMG thank you for finding this!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Back from my latest trip - Africa. This battery provided my Mate with two solid, fast charges from about 20%. I also had to charge a camera battery once and it handled that. Basically, you can trust it will give you two but probably go even further.

Biggest drawback I found is, ironically, it's slow to recharge. Quick to charge, slow to recharge.

I emailed the company and suggested they make a larger one.

FYI - I have sold my Mate 9 and moved on. I miss the lightning fast fingerprint reader. This battery also supports QC3 so I'll still use it.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Back from my latest trip - Africa. This battery provided my Mate with two solid, fast charges from about 20%. I also had to charge a camera battery once and it handled that. Basically, you can trust it will give you two but probably go even further.

Biggest drawback I found is, ironically, it's slow to recharge. Quick to charge, slow to recharge.

FYI - I have sold my Mate 9 and moved on. I miss the lightning fast fingerprint reader. This battery also supports QC3 so I'll still use it.

Funny story, I sold by mate 9 in Feb only to pick it up again in May haha. I also missed it.

csetoue

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

For curiosity, did you drop it for which phone? Are you satisfied?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the update! That's great to hear that it charged the phone quickly and reliably. What phone did you get as a replacement?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What phone did you get as a replacement?

Galaxy S8+

Nothing wrong with the Mate. I'm just a phone nerd and decided I needed to try out a mainstream phone again. Had 6P then the Mate. Previously an LG. Haven't had a Samsung in a long time. Got the Best Buy $200 gift card on unlocked. Sold the gift card, lost $14.

Galaxy is what everyone says - an amazing phone. Shockingly gorgeous screen. If I had to be picky, I would say I like that I have AMOLED back since I am big on pure black themes. I also appreciate that it's encrypted since I travel internationally (maybe a little paranoid). I actually like the atpical format - the long form factor makes it really easy to hold. Having the standard Quick Charge makes it a LOT easier and cheaper to find adapters.

And.... wireless charging. Wow. Almost life changing. I bought a few plates and stuck them around.

Don't toss your Mate. It's still a really good phone. Screen is great if you don't have it sitting next to an AMOLED. Camera is amazing. And, like I said, that fingerprint reader is outstanding.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd share a screen shot of Ampere while plugged into that Tronsmart Power pack that @PaulQ found.

It does indeed support Mate 9 SuperCharge speeds (Over 4 volts and 3000Ma). It also fast charges my G6 and my brother's S8.

So far I have tested and it supports

Huawei Super/Fast Charge
Qualcomm QC 3.0
Samsung Rapid Charge

Will test my friends Pixel soon for Google Power Deliver as well.

20227982_10156287088173475_1352084818_o.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see that it works for quick charging on the mate 9. Huawei phones are difficult to find quick charging accessories due to their non standard quick charging implementation

Juffri J

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
Just thought I'd share a screen shot of Ampere while plugged into that Tronsmart Power pack that @PaulQ found.

It does indeed support Mate 9 SuperCharge speeds (Over 4 volts and 3000Ma). It also fast charges my G6 and my brother's S8.

So far I have tested and it supports

Huawei Super/Fast Charge
Qualcomm QC 3.0
Samsung Rapid Charge

Will test my friends Pixel soon for Google Power Deliver as well.

View attachment 264290

What cable are you using? Sorry noob here. I lost my huawei charger and cable. :(

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
What cable are you using? Sorry noob here. I lost my huawei charger and cable. :(

No worries.

I was using the cable that came with the mate 9 at the time however I got the same results from the cable that came with my OnePlus 3, the cable that came with my 2017 Macbook Pro touchbar, and the cable that came with my Pixel C.

As long as the cable is "Benson Approved" it should work just fine for this application.

The one exceptionI've found is that the OnePlus 3 needs that red cable it comes with to get the full speed.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
One more thing to note:

I have since tested this with my Pixel 2 XL.

It does state on the phone that the tronsmart pack "charges it rapidly" but the Ampere figures are lower than I thought they should be.

Not sure of Ampere works properly on the Pixel 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45