What month security patch is your P20-series running - all variants/countries?

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Just as the title says...

I'm still on August 2019 here in Canada on both P20 & Pro having no clear insight into whether I'll be seeing another.

Contacted Huawei Canada on Twitter yesterday via PM and was sidestepped all the way (yeah expected), and excuse after excuse was doled out (expected that too).

This is my last attempt at getting a concise answer...

"Pretty simple actually... Either Huawei "HAS" issued security patches for my Canadian variants of the P20 Series for the month(s) of September, and/or October, or they have not? They plan on issuing security patches beyond October 2019 for said devices or they do not?"

Their last response to above...

"According to the build number you have provided to us, your phone is up to date with the latest version. The time-frame for when you will receive these kinds of updates depends on the region, carrier, and upgrade packages. Because of this, a device may receive it earlier or later than others. As much as we would love to provide you with a time-frame and further information for your inquiry, we currently do not possess them. We kindly suggest you stay tuned to our official networks, so you may find out more about the latest updates for your model."

..."don't posses that information " that's so funny I can't stop laughing.:D

Anyway just curious where other's sit here.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My P20 pro is also on 1st August 2019. Seem to get security updates every few months though. Next one will probably be in December for the November security update. Did have a settings update today but I don't see any difference in my settings.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
My P20 pro is also on 1st August 2019. Seem to get security updates every few months though. Next one will probably be in December for the November security update. Did have a settings update today but I don't see any difference in my settings.

For me personally it's been a wee bit hit-n-miss, since purchasing, skipping a month or two at a time or getting a couple in succession. Somewhat inconsistent and really never improving over the course for me.

According to Huawei's security update policy patches should be "monthly" for P20 Series...

Huawei EMUI/Magic UI security updates
About EMUI/Magic UI Security Patch Updates
• Huawei will introduce a monthly and quarterly security patch update programme for the following device models.
• The monthly and quarterly security patch update programmes include patches for the Android OS, and patches for Huawei devices released by Huawei.
• The release time of security patches may vary depending on the region and device model.
Current monthly security patch updates will be released for the following device models¹
HUAWEI P series: P30 Pro, P30, P30 lite, P20 Pro, P20, P20 lite, P Smart 2019
HUAWEI Mate series: Mate 20 X, Mate 20 Pro, Mate 20, Mate 20 RS, Mate 10 Pro, Mate 10, PORSCHE DESIGN HUAWEI Mate RS, Mate 20 Lite, Mate 10 Lite
HONOR series: Honor 10, Honor View10, Honor 9N, Honor 9i, Honor 9 Lite, Honor 7X
HUAWEI nova series: nova 3e, nova Lite 3, nova 2i
Current quarterly security patch updates will be released for the following device models²
HUAWEI P series: P 9 lite mini, P Smart
HUAWEI Y series: Y9 2019, Y9 2018, Y6 2019, Y6 2018, Y5 2019, Y5 2018, Y5 Prime 2018, Y5 Lite, Y5 Lite 2018, Y3 2018
HONOR series: Honor View20, Honor 10, Honor 10i, Honor 10 Lite, Honor Play, Honor 8A, Honor 8X, Honor 8S, Honor 7S
HUAWEI nova series: nova 4, nova 3, nova 3i, nova 2i
Tablets: M5 (8.4" & 10.8"), M5 Pro, T5 (10.1"), M5 lite (10.1")
¹The number of device models with monthly security patch updates is subject to change. Certain carriers may only support updates on a quarterly basis.
²The number of device models with quarterly security patch updates is subject to change and will be reviewed on a regular basis.

Kinda curious if May's announcement now is having an impact since late Aug was the deadline I believe. Giving it until end of November to gauge things, no update by then will be telling I think. Either way these are probably my last Huawei devices for the foreseeable future, sadly.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Well it does say there that updates are subject to change so I guess the P20 pro getting monthly updates has changed to every few month.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
If that happens to be the case communicating such would have been a nice gesture, or updating their policy to reflect such. Too much to ask I suppose LOL.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Well Huawei Support finally came clean giving me an answer to my repeated question(s). Definitely not what I was hoping to hear but now we at least know...

"allow us to inform you that we have not sent security patches for the Canadian Huawei P20 and P20 Pro during September and October, 2019"

Can only take this as a sign Huawei has dumped on supporting the Canadian variants of the P20 and P20 Pro. And going by my investigations the Mate 20 Series as well as P30 Series (here in Canada), appear to be showing signs support is wavering there too. No not all that unexpected, or surprising, considering what unfolded this year yet really hate playing guessing games. But now the guessing is over as far as I am concerned and it's time to move on, a bit reluctantly of course. :(

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Well Huawei Support finally came clean giving me an answer to my repeated question(s). Definitely not what I was hoping to hear but now we at least know...

"allow us to inform you that we have not sent security patches for the Canadian Huawei P20 and P20 Pro during September and October, 2019"

Can only take this as a sign Huawei has dumped on supporting the Canadian variants of the P20 and P20 Pro. And going by my investigations the Mate 20 Series as well as P30 Series (here in Canada), appear to be showing signs support is wavering there too. No not all that unexpected, or surprising, considering what unfolded this year yet really hate playing guessing games. But now the guessing is over as far as I am concerned and it's time to move on, a bit reluctantly of course. :(
They dumped all north American updates . Lots of people aren't getting updates anymore. Some like myself need trick it by using a foreign sim.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
They dumped all north American updates . Lots of people aren't getting updates anymore. Some like myself need trick it by using a foreign sim.

Well according to my carrier's update schedule page, tomorrow (Nov 14th) is supposed to be the day a security patch is to arrive on my P20 & Pro. Guaranteed it won't be tomorrow as it never ever has arrive on said date, never. And in my experience, it's always Pro first then at least a week later for P20.

Enjoy my P20-Series but for me support here has "always" been on shaky grounds. No not the worst yet way too inconsistent for my liking. So for that reason we'll be moving on looking elsewhere when the time comes which ain't too far off.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Well according to my carrier's update schedule page, tomorrow (Nov 14th) is supposed to be the day a security patch is to arrive on my P20 & Pro. Guaranteed it won't be tomorrow as it never ever has arrive on said date, never. And in my experience, it's always Pro first then at least a week later for P20.

Enjoy my P20-Series but for me support here has "always" been on shaky grounds. No not the worst yet way too inconsistent for my liking. So for that reason we'll be moving on looking elsewhere when the time comes which ain't too far off.
Don't blame you.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm still on 1st August too. In the UK so hopefully will get it soon.

Well I have to eat crow so-to-speak as received P20 Pro's October security patch on Nov 14th. A definite first having it arrive on the day my carrier said it was to be available. P20 is still on the waiting list for said update expecting mid-week. Still find that unacceptable anticipating support will only dwindle more from heron-in.