Question about ROM and Kernal

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
1)Where do you look to find out what ROM you have.
2)In Settings > about phone > software info. it show the Kernal I have is
2.6.32.15-gb701d1
htc-kernel@and18-2#1
This doesn't look like any one elses kernel that they list.

The following is what is on my phone and I would like your opinion on if I should change anything to enhance my phone.

[ROM] ?
[Recovery] clockworkmod 2.5.05
[Launcher] HTC Sense
[Kernel] listed above
[Status] s-off w/unrevoked forever

crondable

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Sounds to me like you have the stock kernel and ROM, i.e. the ones that have been on your phone since you got it. You will have to flash a custom ROM or kernel over yourself.
Once you flash a custom ROM it will show up in the menu you described in your post. Try downloading ROM Manager from the Market and trying out a ROM that looks interesting to you.
Always make sure to backup your current setup in case something goes wrong, and ALWAYS wipe data/cache when flashing. Most importantly, have fun! :D

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
2)In Settings > about phone > software info. it show the Kernal I have is
2.6.32.15-gb701d1
htc-kernel@and18-2#1

Underneath Kernel version you will see Build number then Software number. Software number will be your rom. For example, under my software number it says, "Uncommon Sense v1.0"

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
i have a question too, i have virtuous v3.1.0 and i installed a kernel that is king-havs-oc#5, and i was wondering if that is a good one or if there is another one i should try, im shooting for better battery life more then blazing speed and quadrant scores. any suggestions????

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Click Here

Start with #1 and give it a day or two to settle in. (Make SURE you backup before changing your kernel, then flash it just like you did your ROM)

If the phone gets to where it is not stable or starts getting "choppy", then either restore or go to #2.

Repeat until you find the one that works the best with your phone and gives you the specs you want. I should point out, take others results with a grain of salt, because what rocks on my phone will not necessarily rock on yours. I have never heard a good explanation as to why, but my setup doesn't seem to agree with my brother in law's DInc. If anybody knows why, hit me up...

Reactions: jkeene81

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
on set cpu is there a standard setting for conserving battery? and thanks bkorver, ill give em a shot.

You could try PowerSave.... but it underclocks your phone. You might experience lag and such.

You could try using a interactive profile and then setting another profile to underclock when your screen is off.

alnilla

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
on set cpu is there a standard setting for conserving battery? and thanks bkorver, ill give em a shot.

I am using hydra ssuv and its great on the battery im at 59 percent for the day after 10 hours of decent use. I also have the 1750 battery though.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
hydra kernel

so i put my kernel on using the rom manager so im going to bust out a totally noob question here, well a few actually. first if i flash another kernel do i need to erase the old one? and second how do i flash a kernel on my phone from a website like hydra? and will hydra work with virtuous 3.1.0? thanks for any help you can give me, my phone has turned off about 25 times today and need to figure this out.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
here is the easiest way to flash a kernel if you plan on using rom manager to do it...

1) go to the link in the post above that takes you to the hydra website on your phone's browser.

2) click on the link to download the kernel directly to the phone.

3) once the download is complete, go to rom manager and pick "install rom from sd card

4) you will find your kernel in the folder marked "downloads"

5) check back up and clear cache when prompted.

6) enjoy an ice cold (insert beverage of choice here) while you wait for the phone to do it's thing.

Reactions: jkeene81

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
so i put my kernel on using the rom manager so im going to bust out a totally noob question here, well a few actually. first if i flash another kernel do i need to erase the old one? and second how do i flash a kernel on my phone from a website like hydra? and will hydra work with virtuous 3.1.0? thanks for any help you can give me, my phone has turned off about 25 times today and need to figure this out.

When you flash a new kernel, it overwrites the old one.

I suggest doing a dalvak wipe and a battery stats wipe before flashing a new kernel. There's no need to wipe your data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89