Update after rooting

Dwncastedbliss

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I already have froyo and just rooted my Incredible a few days ago. I just got a message from my phone asking to install an update. Should I do it or is it going to cause problems?

anon(2953)

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Decided to just create a new nandroid back-up this morning, and go for it.

I'm rooted, running stock froyo (no custom ROM)... and my phone won't allow the update to download. When I accept the update, I get to the "your device will now reboot blah, blah, blah" screen, the phone never reboots, and then (within a minute) I get the "your device is up to date" screen, with no changes made. Guess I'll hold out for unrEVOked to update.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I'm rooted, running stock froyo (no custom ROM)... and my phone won't allow the update to download. When I accept the update, I get to the "your device will now reboot blah, blah, blah" screen, the phone never reboots, and then (within a minute) I get the "your device is up to date" screen, with no changes made. Guess I'll hold out for unrEVOked to update.

UnrEVOked won't upgrade your ROM. That's the job of your ROM chef.

If you want the notification to go away, look at the sticky at the top of this forum and do what Quame says...except don't rename the "cecert" file.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if it will re-install bloatware that was removed from root?

Just curious.

Yes...it will reinstall the bloatware you've so carefully removed and probably add some more.

The only thing of note I saw that the update would do is YouTube videos. Almost all of the ROM chefs have that built in.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It will break your root even if you have s-off from being rooted before 2.2?
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Instead of Taking VZW's crappy updates, just get a ROM. If you want the stock, then get Virtuous ROM. You'll never know the difference really, and it will get updates quicker than VZW. You rooted for a reason, why go back? For a minimal update? A custom rom should give you better battery anyway. Virtuous is working great for me.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why you think VZW's updates are crappy...because the rom cookers take the VZW updates and incorporate them into their roms for the most part.

Anyway, installing the OTA definitely breaks root, but if you have S-OFF you can get back to being rooted.

joedirt2217

May 19, 2010
Visit site
**PLEASE HELP!**

I rooted my wife's phone with unrevoked. She received the update on Sunday, and installed it. When I accept the update, I get to the "your device will now reboot" screen, the phone never reboots, and then I get the "your device is up to date" screen, with no changes. Doesn't seem like the update went through though; software version not changed, no Vcast app, or slacker, but do seem to have lost root. A problem I see is the weather widget is not the usueal and does not update. What should I do here? Should I do a factory update, do the software update and then try to root again? I do have her phone backed up with clockworkmod, can I restore her settings and apps after all that?

Thanks for any help!

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I feel your pain, I once put a hybrid on my wife's Storm and she hated it because it was not what she was used to, even though to me it ran way better. Why would I relate that bit of info? Because I learned never to root/mess with anyone else's phone besides mine unless they know exactly what they're going to get.

In your case if you made a nandroid backup after you rooted I would go back to that backup and reinstall. Thats going to take you back to stock ROM with all the bloatware and stuff that you probably deleted when you rooted. If you have deleted apps like cityid and VZnavigator, that is why your phone is not updating...its looking for those apps to update and when they're not there it can't perform the update and just hangs on you and quits. Restoring these apps with the nandroid backup will put you back to stock with root which should make your update able to update. When you do the update you will lose root ability on the phone unless you've used unrevoked forever. If you haven't, you'll just have to wait for someone from unrevoked to come up with a way to root the phone with this latest update.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It will break your root if you install it.

Sent from my DINC using Tapatalk

Not quite. What root really involves is unlocking your NAND, which you have since you're S-off. Installing an OTA just re-installs stock recovery. So basically, you're still rooted, but with no way to take advantage of it. So all you need to do is re-flash Clockwork and su.

Does anyone know if it will re-install bloatware that was removed from root?

Just curious.

Any and all bloatware that you modified/removed needs to be restored to stock status for the OTA to install correctly. Installing the OTA will install any extra bloat that they included, like VCast Apps..

Probably need to restore bloatware

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non