Introduction to AC community

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here would take the time to weigh in on a question I am having. I am looking to get an android-based phone and, for the life of me, can't seem to figure out which one. A little background: I have a BlackBerry Z10 now which replaced a BB 9900 which replaced an iPhone 4. I use my phone for work (read: emails, take meeting notes, take pictures of whiteboards to back up for later reference) and passing the time during my commute home. I have tried, ever so quickly, a Nexus 7 tablet and just seem drawn to the operating system. To be honest, the last time I checked out anything android was way back in gingerbread and so obviously now I am just blown away by how mature the operating system is. Now here is the thing. I love my Z10 but I want to get an android-based phone but can't seem to decide. I know it is a users decision but I was hoping some people who already have the HTC One, S4, N4 etc... can give me their honest impressions. When I search for information online I get a sense that more than a few comments are by those that haven't even tried the device they are just commenting on a comment they read and that doesn't help me one bit. If you do have the time, I would really appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance and one last thing, I will try to never post anything this long again (sorry)!

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey Fadeaway, first and foremost - Welcome to AC!
I currently use a Nexus 4 coming from gingerbread on a HTC prior. If you have used the operating system before you would be familiar that each mobile "skins" there own OS so will be different to each one, I know some have their own preferences e.g some dislike Touchwiz, Sense & Vanilla. If you've had a play with the Nexus 7 (vanilla) you would be very familiar with how to use the Nexus 4 which is exactly the same but on 4 inches.

When I got my nexus 4 I thought it was dead beautiful, sleek and nice. Everything seems so smooth and fast!
I guess thats what I thought in most simplistic form its beautiful, smooth and fast. Its nice in the hand, its not too big It doesn't feel cheap and pretty solid, the edges could be rounded a bit more so it sits a bit nicer - but it isn't too much a pain as i hold it on my fingers not my palm. The black hides scratches, I just think its a beautiful phone, more beautiful than the One. It sat perfectly in my budget as prepaid I have to buy phones outright so that was a bonus. With the S4 i've had a small play with and it feels a bit nicer in the hand but that is just my personal feel. I am sorry my first impression isn't the greatest. There is a first impressions thread in the Nexus 4 area - but as phone owners we have a tendency to favour our own a bit more. We do have to remember at the end of a day - which we often forget a phone is a phone.

Sorry If my post isn't much of a help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here would take the time to weigh in on a question I am having. I am looking to get an android-based phone and, for the life of me, can't seem to figure out which one. A little background: I have a BlackBerry Z10 now which replaced a BB 9900 which replaced an iPhone 4. I use my phone for work (read: emails, take meeting notes, take pictures of whiteboards to back up for later reference) and passing the time during my commute home. I have tried, ever so quickly, a Nexus 7 tablet and just seem drawn to the operating system. To be honest, the last time I checked out anything android was way back in gingerbread and so obviously now I am just blown away by how mature the operating system is. Now here is the thing. I love my Z10 but I want to get an android-based phone but can't seem to decide. I know it is a users decision but I was hoping some people who already have the HTC One, S4, N4 etc... can give me their honest impressions. When I search for information online I get a sense that more than a few comments are by those that haven't even tried the device they are just commenting on a comment they read and that doesn't help me one bit. If you do have the time, I would really appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance and one last thing, I will try to never post anything this long again (sorry)!

Welcome to the forums!
Something I thought of...why not keep the Blackberry, and get an Android Tablet? I agree with Fairclough that since you played around with a Nex7, a Nex4 is already familiar to you. I have none of the devices, but I have played around with the S4 and the One quite a bit. They both have perks and flaws, like any other device. The question is, what do you want or need in a device, and which device satisfies those criteria? I like the screen of the One, and the idea of front facing speakers. I personally prefer SD card slots, and the orientation of the menu, home and back keys on the S4.
I know you asked for opinions of people that had the devices, and as I am not one of them, I thought I would give aspects of each device that I do like.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Androidcentral! What carrier do you plan on using if you decide to get an Android based phone? The Nexus 4 is definitely a good choice. Another important thing to consider is screen size. The Z10 is the biggest device (other than the Nexus 7) you have recently used (iPhone, BB 9900, Z10) so you'll need to decide if you will be ok with a larger screen. There will be some getting used to but that quickly fades as you put the device through its day-to-day use.

Kevin put together a great article asking this very question and some links to threads discussing the two. Take a look at it and see if you are able to have some questions answered to help you make a decision as to the device you'll may be purchasing - Community Spotlight: Should I Get the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One? | Android Central

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Faircloud,
I think your post helped a lot. I have eyed the N4 because of it's pure android set-up and I am really reassured to hear that it "feels" right in the hands. That is one of my peeves with some phones...They can be really nice but if I am always adjusting to them i tend to lose interest in them quickly.
Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time.

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Golfdriver97,

Thanks for taking the time. I like the tablet idea (and I do have a PlayBook) but I prefer to have something a little easier to carry around. Something about just using my phone is pretty appealing. I didn't think of the SD Card part of it, thanks for that. I do think it will be important to me. I like the HTC One but am not sure of all the additional perks of the device. Blinkfeed looks great but I don't connect with a lot of social networking and tend to read a physical paper rather that short digital articles.

As for the opinion of those that have actually used the device (maybe as a daily driver), based on your points, I think I should amend that. I would love to hear the opinion of all those that have read and researched the devices. It think there are a lot of things that I may not be considering and highlighting them really helps.
Again, appreciate the feedback, it was great!

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Srkmagnus,

Thanks for the article link. I will definitely give a thorough read through. One of my concerns is the size. I could try out a Note II but I really don't think it something I could use daily. I find the Z10 to be a great size but going a bit bigger shouldn't be a major issue. I will be on Telus, in Canada, as it offers the only good reception in my area. Another thing that concerns me is the phone's antenna...I don't really want to get something that always looses reception but I don't think anyone can speak to that as different areas have different signal strengths and i'll just have to test out this network and hope for the best.

Thanks for taking the time, it is much appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Golfdriver97,

Thanks for taking the time. I like the tablet idea (and I do have a PlayBook) but I prefer to have something a little easier to carry around. Something about just using my phone is pretty appealing. I didn't think of the SD Card part of it, thanks for that. I do think it will be important to me. I like the HTC One but am not sure of all the additional perks of the device. Blinkfeed looks great but I don't connect with a lot of social networking and tend to read a physical paper rather that short digital articles.

As for the opinion of those that have actually used the device (maybe as a daily driver), based on your points, I think I should amend that. I would love to hear the opinion of all those that have read and researched the devices. It think there are a lot of things that I may not be considering and highlighting them really helps.
Again, appreciate the feedback, it was great!

That is what we are all here for; offering (hopefully) helpful opinions, views and by default, bringing different ideas or points to the discussion. The idea of the tablet was just a suggestion, you know, food for thought. However, I can see the idea of the phone being more manageable.

However, if it going to be a little longer before you get a new device, there are Google Editions coming out for the S4, and One, and I think the Sony Xperia. There is still a little speculation of what these devices are like, but those may be other options in case there is something about the UI on any phone that you dislike.

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Before anything else, I wanted to thank everyone for their warm welcome and helpful insight. All things considered, I decided the N4 was probably the best choice in my case. I won't leave my Z10 on the side though as I just really love the phone. The N4 will be my test device before I decide to fully switch or not. In having the phone for only a day, I am really surprised how quickly I took to it. Android has really made a nice interface and I am starting to get hooked on Google now and Keep. It's early but I can see why people prefer android. Again, thank you all again, you made taking the plunge a little more manageable.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I would say head to a T-Mobile and try it but I googled Telus and by that i'm inferring your Canadian. I am sure if you love/can use your n7, you will be able to adapt pretty quickly. Hopefully you enjoy it, if not you can always return it.