Newly arrived on Planet Android

Ritergeek

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Two and a half years ago I received an iPad 2 as a gift. I've used Windows since it first came out and never quite fell in love with the convolutions of iOS, though we did have some great times together, and with the advent of cloud apps that made iTunes irrelevant, things got a lot better. When I dropped the iPad on its head, cracking its face, new decisions opened up. Windows tablets tempted me. After all, integrated suites make sense. But a friend expressed enough disappointment with her Windows tablet that I backed off. When I discovered the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, I pulled out the plastic. I'm thrilled with this device, the S-pen, the functionality available for free that I paid for in the Apple App Store. After a week I've got most of the basics under control, but serious questions arise.

One party pooper alerted me of the serious vulnerability of the open SSL architecture. "It's a hacker magnet!" I was told.

So now I'm wondering how to stay safe. Any suggestions? What's the best anti-virus? What else do I need to know? Is there an
Android version of Malware Bytes?

Thanks for your help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not a security expert, but Android tends to be more resistant to malware from simply surfing on the web, since apps always need your permission to install, and that's mainly what viruses on Android need in order to cause damage. So as long as you stick with apps from reputable sources like Google Play and Amazon Appstore, you're going to be ok. On top of that, Google has stepped up app scanning on their end, which will probably make 3rd party antivirus apps superfluous. However, those security apps often have other nice features--for example, Lookout has a feature which snaps a photo with the front facing camera if the unlock PIN or pattern is entered incorrectly 3 times in a row, and then sends that photo to you.

Ritergeek

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you B. Diddy. I'll check out Lookout. Since my tablet primarily stays at home as is not as easily misplaced as a phone, I don't have it locked, but that could change when I'm traveling.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC.

Lookout brought out a Heartbleed app, but it only tells if it is active.
While it uses the same OpenSSL structure, it seems it is rarely active in Android.

9e8y4e3e.jpg

abysevyt.jpg

ra2ysa3u.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Ritergeek

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am enjoying my new "S-pad" and can't imagine going back to iPad. I actually have that Lookout Heartbleed Detector installed and was reassured by the results.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I see you got helped already. Have fun and enjoy.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. While Android itself isn't too vulnerable to the heartbleed exploit, companies that won't do a thing to change will be greatly affected.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums. 4.1.1 is the only version of Android affected by the bug. Otherwise, you are safe. This also depends on the websites you visit. The website has to have the latest version of OpenSSL (1.01g) and their SSL certificates resigned by their certificate authority. Otherwise, you are still vulnerable. At this point, big companies already have the patches done, so you should be safe.

-Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T HTC One X running CodefireX 4.4.2

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am enjoying my new "S-pad" and can't imagine going back to iPad. I actually have that Lookout Heartbleed Detector installed and was reassured by the results.

I can't imagine going back to ipad, either, lol. I used to have a Note 10.1, today I have a Note Pro and I've had zero security issues. Enjoy your tablet!

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
...One party pooper alerted me of the serious vulnerability of the open SSL architecture. "It's a hacker magnet!" I was told.

So now I'm wondering how to stay safe. Any suggestions? What's the best anti-virus? What else do I need to know? Is there an
Android version of Malware Bytes?

As others have said, only the one version of Android (4.1.1) was actually affected by the Heartbleed vulnerability.

As for malware, it's really not *nearly* as big of an issue as it's made out to be in some places on the net.

Browsing the web is safe. An app can't install on it's own. It *has* to use the App Installer, so apps can't install without you explicitly pressing the "Install" button. Also, without going in and changing a setting on your phone, you don't even get the *option* of installing apps that don't come directly from the Google Play store. So you're safe there.

As for apps doing "bad" things. There's very little of this in the Play Store. When you see those articles going around the 'net talking about apps with viruses in them, 99.9% of the time, they're refering to people who downloaded pirated versions of apps off black market web sites and then installed them directly (usually called "side loading") and even that requires changing the aformentioned setting to allow it.

Apps that live in Google Play are actually virus scanned by Google before anyone gets to download them. The call their scanner "Bouncer" if you want to look up more info about it. That said, when downloading an app, always check what permissions that app declares. When you hit install, it's going to give you a list of things that the app is allowed to do. If something looks "fishy", just hit cancel. For instance, if you download an app that's supposed to give you access to wallpapers, but then declares that it's going to have access to your contact list and be able to send text messages, that should be a red flag :)

A little common sense and paying attention, and Android is as secure as they come.

Welcome to actually being able to get things done with your device :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Good advice and insight.
Except it seems nearly every new update wants new permissions now. My bank now wanted to read my sms. (it does send me text, but this was new). You can't tell what's suspicious if they all want to know what you had for breakfast and want a photo of it going in and out (sorry :rolleyes: ) .
What's needed is a legal breakdown that explains perhaps though they ask permission, most times they are not allowed to use these in certain ways.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress