TouchPal Keyboard - the future of input

phillysdon04

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Blind typing. Predictive sliding. Smart prediction. The most innovative keyboard that brings you to the future of input.

TouchPal Keyboard is currently having beta testing. If you want to apply for beta testing, please follow them on twitter or like them on Facebook.

TouchPal
Twitter: @TouchPal
Facebook: TouchPal

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I saw it mentioned on phandroid and I saw its video. I have to say it is really promising keyboard. It fills many voids that sliding keyboards like Swype leave out, plus brings new innovative things. When I was using swype on my epic, I had to keep switching between the keyboards - swype when I wanted to have the flexibility of using one hand to type, and swiftkey when I wanted to fire away using both my hands. I am hoping touchpal could help me do both those things in one keyboard. Cant wait to give it a go on my new Epic 4G Touch once it arrives. Phandroid site also mentioned its going for free right now in the android market.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I think they just went out of beta. It's now available in the Marketplace. It is supposed to be free until the end of October.

I switched to it and love it. It still has a few quirks, but I love the combination of swiping and text prediction.

Reactions: lilC2us

robkort

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I have to say about it is that they need to support more languages. Besides that is a great keyboard.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I finally upgraded to version 5. It definitely is a lot better. Seems to run a lot smoother, too.I haven't tried any of the skins yet, but that will be a nice feature to try out. It still doesn't automatically add a period after selecting a word in the top of the list (then pressing the space bar), even though it does add the period after a double-space (without using the suggestion bar). At least it always auto-capitalizes now.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Touchpal seems like a good combination of Swype and Swiftkey.
Is there any way to get the full set of secondary keys to show up thoughtout the keyboard instead of the just the lower "@ ' ! ? ( : ) " set?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If you hit the 12# button, it gives you a lot of different keys to choose from. On the qwerty keyboard, there are like three different screens of keys available (one with emoticons and web shortcuts).

robkort

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Another good thing about TouchPal is is you disable the swipe, you can simply press the key and swipe down at the same time and it will give you the symbol on that key. If you swipe up instead it will give you the capital letters.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix :)

phillysdon04

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just did a update through the setting. Now I have version 5.0.0.14330 . Also update your dictionary.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

martain

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been running TouchPal for a couple weeks now, and am fairly pleased. It is fairly fluid, and does a good job with the predictive typing.

My only issue is that I find myself having to do a force close a couple times a day. Strangely, it seems to happen mostly when I'm in landscape mode. I also keep getting notifications to update my dictionaries, but every time I try, I receive an error, and again, need to do a force close. The only way to remove the update icon from my notification bar is to shut off, and restart the phone.

I'm running version 4.8, and when I do a check for updates through the settings, it tells me there is none. I think I'll go look for version 5, and do a manual install.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Version 5 is pretty good. It looks like they definitely have worked on some bugs with it, plus the skins are nice.

ElefantPhace

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Only problem so far with v5 that I've found is curve doesn't work in address bar like 4.8 did.
and still can't pull up a number only input pad unless on a number only input field

EDIT: curve is turned off default on address bar slide left on space bar to turn it on; however, auto space does not work in address bar if you use it like a search bar.

Last edited:

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I wish there was a way to select the ten-key number pad by default. The only way I have found it to swipe keyboards (left-to-right) to bring up the T9 keyboard, then press the number button. It's an extra 2-3 presses.

The good thing is that the more I use it,the better it is getting at text prediction.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty