Can Not Download attachments from Gmail to Android

Sunpower

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone here had any problem downloading attachments such as app files, PDF documents, etc. to their android from Gmail? I cannot download attachments to my Asus Fone pad and have searched many times now using different search key words on Google and can't seem to find an answer on how to solve this problem.

Thanks.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You should have a view or save option when you press the 3 dots to the right of the attachment field. What version of Android are you using? Are you using the native gmail app?

Sunpower

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I've tried downloading attached Gmail files, mainly apps and some PDF documents, from both the browser (Chrome) Gmail and also the Gmail app on the device. Interestingly, when I download using the Gmail in the Chrome browser it shows that the files are downloading - 30%, 50%, 75%, etc. - but then ultimately the message is that the file was "unsuccessful" in being downloaded.

I then uploaded various documents to Google Storage and I still could not download any files on to my Asus Fonepad.

So I'm wondering if the people here have had any similar problems and how they fixed it. Again, I have no problem downloading Gmail app and PDF files on Nexus 7 and 10.

sho50

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
:( YES!! PLEASE HELP!! I have the same problem with Gmail and AOL mail since "upgrading" my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich (4.1.2). Attachments simply will not download. The progress bar shows, the attachment's underline gets sparkly, and the circle spins round and round... but NOTHING ever downloads. IMAP settings are per specs. General settings are set to sync schedule and to download everything, including all attachments. I have cleared the caches and toggled the phone off and on. Nothing so far has helped. What else is there to do? Are we missing something vital?

Sunpower

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why, but when I use my LAN wiereless signal, I can't download from Gmail. However, when I use another wifi connection, I can download files such as app files and PDF documents from Gmail and save them to my Asus Fonepad. I don't know why it won't work with the wireless LAN connnection. It won't work with a lot of connections, actually.

LWS LWS

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Super Easy!!!
Uninstall your gmail app not your gmail account then install the latest gmail from play store, that simple!
If you're not able to uninstall your gmail which means your gmail is stick in the android system folder and it's a system app.
So you'll need to root your device in order to uninstall gmail using 'titanium backup' or other tools which is able to uninstall system apps.
After the gmail app is uninstalled successfully then restart your device.
Once restarted, you are now able to install any version of gmail.
Open your gmail, wait for syncing and try to view or download attachments that you were failed to open before.
I'm sure that is already solved your problem because I did that to my phone either!

Aman Kumar21

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone here had any problem downloading attachments such as app files, PDF documents, etc. to their android from Gmail? I cannot download attachments to my Asus Fone pad and have searched many times now using different search key words on Google and can't seem to find an answer on how to solve this problem.

Thanks.
I too had the same problem... Here is what I did.. Settings >apps>all apps>download manager>clear cache>disable>enable...that's it. Hope it would help

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Super Easy!!!
Uninstall your gmail app not your gmail account then install the latest gmail from play store, that simple!
If you're not able to uninstall your gmail which means your gmail is stick in the android system folder and it's a system app.
So you'll need to root your device in order to uninstall gmail using 'titanium backup' or other tools which is able to uninstall system apps.
After the gmail app is uninstalled successfully then restart your device.
Once restarted, you are now able to install any version of gmail.
Open your gmail, wait for syncing and try to view or download attachments that you were failed to open before.
I'm sure that is already solved your problem because I did that to my phone either!

Thanks
Its working i have updated Gmail app.

JainPratik123

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I too had the same problem... Here is what I did.. Settings >apps>all apps>download manager>clear cache>disable>enable...that's it. Hope it would help

I too had same problem, if above solution given by Aman doesn't work then check following.
Go to setting --> app --> all apps--> download or download manager --> usage details --> check in last if background data on mobile is not disabled.
Its worked for me. All the best.

MagnusNorway

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site

Thanks.

Hello! I might have some help for you. I've found help on this forum before, so I decided to register today and add my findings.

I had this problem for almost two years; unable to downoad demo song mp3 attachments from friends, apps from the Google Play store, pdf tickets while at the airport etc. etc. I tried all kinds of suggested solutions, and I mean everything, including browser based clients etc. Even managed to delete a whole bunch of contacts permanently when temporarily disabling my gmail account. This thing has been a real pain.

The really cumbersome workaround for me has been opening attachments on a laptop, or forwarding emails to friends.

Today I found out how to remedy this, at least on my phone, a Samsung S6. I noticed that an attachment actually did download, like they kind of have done from time to time these past two years. I've always thought of this inconsistency as an indicator and confirmation of this thing being a bug. I don't know how I suddebly made the connection and thought differently this time, but somehow my brain apparently used two years to process this computational task and finally figured out that there was actually a pattern here: My phone was charging, and I could download attachments and apps! But of course!

So, basically, I figured it was related to the battery usage and power saving. Tried unplugging the charger and downloading another attachment: wouldn't work. Tried temporarily disabling the phone's power saving mode (while still having the phone's charger unplugged): Worked!

If this was the root cause to my problems, it might be to others as well (and it also could explain why it can be hard for others to reproduce this issue if they haven't configured their power saving similarly).

So, try disabling power saving mode before opening the mail containing attachments, and see if that works. It works for me, and this will make my life online a bit easier. Thought I'd give you guys a heads up. Hope it helps, happy to give back to this forum, good luck!

heng3

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
go to settings, apps, application manager, tap on gmail app, tap on permissions, and you should see a folder there that says storage, turn it on and you should be good to go.

Itzik182

May 4, 2019
Visit site
I had the same problem, and was resolved:
1. I updated the Gmail application from app store.

2. Go to settings, apps, tap on gmail app, tap on permissions, disable storage, and enable again.

3. Go to settings >apps>all apps>gmail>disable and enable again.

4. Restart your phone.