Phone Number Display Format Suddenly Changed from (###) ###-#### to ####/#######

ChicagoDan80

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I have an interesting problem with my device (VZW Galaxy Nexus, 4.2.2 JDQ39, Stock, Rooted). I live in the US, where phone numbers are typically formatted as (area code)-exchange-number. Example: (123) 456-7890. All of my contacts are in this format, and synced to my Google Account where the contacts also match that format.

However, last week my phone suddenly switched to show the numbers in XXXX/XXXXXX format. Now the same number as my example shows as 1234/567890.

I've had the phone since it was released almost 18 months back, and I've never seen this. It's more than just an annoyance. Now when I receive text messages or incoming calls, my phone does not recognize the number. The string of numbers is the same as in my contacts, but the format is not, hence I believe Android is confused on what name to display.

I've tried changing my Settings->Location & Input->Language, as well as the Keyboard & Input. They're all on English (United States). No luck.

I recently traveled to India and Germany where my phone was on wifi, and then when I returned to the US, I noticed my phone started doing this. Since I didn't have voice calls or text messages abroad, I'm not sure if the problem happened there, or only when I returned. I've been abroad many times to those two countries and others without ever seeing this, but I suspect somehow my phone changed locales or something. I'm simply not able to find a solution.

Help me, Android Central, you're my only hope.

arunmnx7

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I had this same issue on my Galaxy S4 after a India trip. No luck Googling or in Settings. What worked for me was going to Phone/ Logs tab (on Phone) and deleting all the recent bad entries in there with the bad format (Menu-> Delete). Now the top most entry would be the good format from prior to this issue occurring. Select one of these entries and make a call. This did it for me. Hope it does for u too. Good luck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes