How Android Was Meant To Be?

Nominasu

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I've seen many people on many different websites and forums post about "How Android was meant to be", and that Nexus devices were the only acceptable devices software wise. Many people have said that pure, stock Android was the way that Android is supposed to be, and that manufacturer skins are "ugly", "useless" or "bloated". Now, I respect that opinion, but I disagree that stock Android is the way Android was meant to be.

I feel that Android's open-source nature is meant to be tinkered with. It was made that way for developers to be able to make apps that do all types of things and so manufacturers can make a device unique, to really make a device their own. People say that all Android devices should come with stock Android, with differences only in hardware, and I disagree. I think that the software is what makes Android really shine, and when manufacturers add their own skins to a product, it makes it unique, an experience that you can only get on said phone, by said manufacturer. I understand that everyone can have an opinion, and I for one think stock Android is excellent, but I don't think that stock Android is the only way to go. After all, if Google only wanted pure, stock Android on everything, why would they make it open-source? They could've made it closed-source like iOS, if they only wanted stock Android. I was just wondering if anyone else felt that manufacturer skins added some quality or uniqueness to a product that stock Android just couldn't provide.

Or maybe it's just me that thinks that. Oh well.

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I also believe Android device where meant to be "what the users wants it to be", as opposed to a "set things" (Like I-products typically are).

It's also quite funny how the same people will get downright pushy about two opposing views without seeing the irony: "Nexus" is what all Android set "should be". Yet, when asked why they prefer Android, they say they like Android over I-phone because "the platform is more open"...

Go figure...

If Google allowed other handset manufacturers to make their own, customized and different handsets, it's certainly not be because they believe everything should be a bloody "Nexus". There a lot more non-nexus phones out there than there are "Nexus", I don't believe carrier subsidies are the sole reason for this.

I wouldn't even have an Android device in the first place without Removable storage, and the Nexus line typically doesn't offer removable storage. beside, a Nexus has no appeal to me, but a Sony Xperia does. To others, a HTC One is an obvious choice, and right now, the majority of byers seem to be flocking to S4s, so there's an obvious preference for something other than Nexus...

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I feel that Android's open-source nature is meant to be tinkered with.
I've noticed the same thing, too. The whole point of Android being open source was to allow OEM's to tailor it to their specific hardware and needs. Wanting "stock" Android is one thing, but claiming that's what Android is "supposed to be" kind of misses the whole point of the OS.

Nominasu

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you both. And before someone else says it, which I'm sure they will, I know that there actually are skins out there that are "bloated" or "ugly" (After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?), but because you don't like a manufacturers skin doesn't call for a change of the entire foundation of the OS. If it's just the way that it looks, Nova or Apex is your best friend and if you just don't like the entire ROM, XDA Developers is calling your name. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol