Front camera image reversed when taken

Dale1401

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello. When I use the viewfinder on the Moto G the image displayed is correct. E.g when I move left, the preview shows me moving left.

However, when I press the shutter button I appear in the right. I can quickly press Mirror on the edit section of the Gallery app. That's no problem at all!

But will that make the image look weird to others?

I am slightly confused. 😕

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's working correctly. When it's viewfinding, it's acting as a mirror. So if you hold up a sign in front of yourself, you'll see the print is backwards. But when you take the shot, it's normal.

Dale1401

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
So, if I take a picture of myself on the left side and then take a picture. Will i be displayed on the left side to other people? (how I'm seeing it I'm on the right side and look weird)

Also, if I mirror it again would that look weird? (I personally find it looks better as that is how I viewed myself originally)

Dale1401

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I took a picture of my left hand (obviously on the left side) and showed it to my brother. I asked where it looked and he said right. I also see it as right? I don't get this? I'm confused, can someone explain?

Also, when I take a picture using the front camera, I then mirror it so it is back to the normal preview I saw before. Should I do this or leave it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try taking a picture of yourself while holding a sign in front of you with a simple word in big letters. When you're viewfinding, the word will look reversed. When you take the shot, the word will appear normal. That's the best way I can explain it.

If you mirror your image, most people won't notice, unless they pay close attention to which way your hair is parted. Some people have a face that is asymmetric enough that it might look a little odd to be reversed.

Dale1401

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I've tested taking a picture using Snapchat and it is what you see is what you get. To further explain it, it means my left hand is on the left.

when I take a 'selfie' it with other people and I am on the right side, I am displayed on the right side but when I do it by myself: I'm on the left. Not sure what magic is going on or my brain has a pin but thanks for clearing it up.

My hair is parted to the left so taking a picture would make it seem right. So I mirror it.

gimemoore

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
When someone is looking directly at you, your left hand is on their right. Same as your hair - parted to your left means it is on the right of someone looking directly at you.

You seem to be thinking your left is everyone else's left, too, and that's not the case, unless they are taking a photo of your back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae