Droid or Pre?

walhalla

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I had the Pre also. The form factor is very good. Yes, the reception on Sprint isn't good, could never maintain consistentcy inside my home even with their Airave. WebOS is fantastic though, imo. I have had my Droid for a week now and love it, still learning things about it. I would say when the Pre is available on Verizon it would be very good. It appears it will now have a sd card, I believe? May be some other options also. I liked the Touchstone charger for it.

ridavid81

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I would go with the Droid. The pre is very nice but very few apps and right now the obvious attention is going to Android. You'll see much more for android in the coming months than for pre.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
They are releasing the Pre on verizon. Dubbed the Pre Plus. Double internal memory and 16gb of space. So that is why I am thinking about it. It is going to be released on the 25th of this month.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
isnt the pre only on sprint? Why would you wanna go there when you can get a droid on an awesome powerhouse network?
Nothing wrong with Sprint, they've got a fantastic network. I had them for 8 years and never had an issue with signal, and my Pre consistently had 4-5 bars, everywhere in DFW. On the other hand, I can't even get 1X on my Droid at my desk! I used to have full 5 bars sitting here on my Pre, that's about all I miss from that phone.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Nothing wrong with Sprint, they've got a fantastic network. I had them for 8 years and never had an issue with signal, and my Pre consistently had 4-5 bars, everywhere in DFW. On the other hand, I can't even get 1X on my Droid at my desk! I used to have full 5 bars sitting here on my Pre, that's about all I miss from that phone.

Hey Elysian893, I remember seeing you post all the time on PreCentral. It sounds like you went through hell with your Pre. I am also considering switching from Pre to Moto Droid. I am getting really sick of the lag on the Pre. It lags so much that I tend to miss calls because of it. The only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid I will miss the really nice UI of the Pre. Any thoughts on that? I need to make my decision this month since Sprint just made changes to the contract, this is my only chance to get out free.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't want to wait til spring. I want to sell my storm 2 on ebay while it is worth what it is worth. Using the money from that to offset the price of buying a phone retail.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hey Elysian893, I remember seeing you post all the time on PreCentral. It sounds like you went through hell with your Pre. I am also considering switching from Pre to Moto Droid. I am getting really sick of the lag on the Pre. It lags so much that I tend to miss calls because of it. The only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid I will miss the really nice UI of the Pre. Any thoughts on that? I need to make my decision this month since Sprint just made changes to the contract, this is my only chance to get out free.

I don't miss it one bit. The UI on the Pre is absurdly basic, almost like it's geared towards children. The Droid's UI is intuitive, and incredibly customizable.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit my mind is almost made up, as long as I can get out of my Sprint contract.

Is the keyboard on the Droid hard to get used to? I played with it at Best Buy and I was terrible, i think I misspelled every word. Usually that doesn't worry me too much because keyboards are one of those things you get used to, but I was VERY inaccurate on the Droid. The Pre keyboard isn't great, its small and cramped but I did get used it rather quickly.

R

Roy Aguilera

I have to admit my mind is almost made up, as long as I can get out of my Sprint contract.

Is the keyboard on the Droid hard to get used to? I played with it at Best Buy and I was terrible, i think I misspelled every word. Usually that doesn't worry me too much because keyboards are one of those things you get used to, but I was VERY inaccurate on the Droid. The Pre keyboard isn't great, its small and cramped but I did get used it rather quickly.

Same will happen with the Droid keyboard.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

My Droid's keyboard isn't the same as the display models, it's not completely flat, the buttons are slightly bubbled, enough that it makes keyboard use very easy. Didn't Sprint change the ToS, making it so anyone can get out of contract now?

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes, they changed T&C effective Jan 1. That is why I am looking to take advantage and switch to Droid now.

I'm sure I can get something for my Pre on Ebay to offset some of the cost.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Looks like I will be a Droid owner soon....you will be seeing me on these forums more and more. Thanks for all your information.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone mention this: The WebOS is likely to be dead sooner or later. Palm made a huge mistake, hitching their wagon to Sprint, which is still bleeding subscribers. I, too, have waited for VZW to get it, but VZW and Palm are not friends, and this won't be sold hard at the V store, guaranteed. Meanwhile, literally millions of Android phones are being sold. Palm= 1 manufacturer. Android=dozens? So look at the future, but more importantly, look at software development. Are you going to design for the Pre or the Droid? Easy answer. So, like a few above, I moved quickly to the Droid. Everything I've ever wanted...well, the keyboard is worse than I hoped, but dang it, it's a keyboard!

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
One more question about Pre vs. Droid? I currently use a calendar on Exchange and another on Google. I actively use both of these calendars. WebOS combines both of these calendars into one calendar and color codes them for me so I know which appointment is from which calendar. Does Droid do something similar?

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
One more question about Pre vs. Droid? I currently use a calendar on Exchange and another on Google. I actively use both of these calendars. WebOS combines both of these calendars into one calendar and color codes them for me so I know which appointment is from which calendar. Does Droid do something similar?

Android 2.0 gives you 2 calendar apps, one called "Corporate Calendar" for Exchange calendars, and another just called "Calendar" for your gmail and other calendars. I don't use Exchange, however, so I can't tell you if you can put them on the same calendar or not...