How to change camera importer setting from always to just once

singndance

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
When I first connected my Canon PowerShot SD880 IS camera to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 using a connecting cable, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 asked whether to use camera importer or Google photos app. I selected camera importer, but now everytime I connect the Canon camera it automatically opens camera importer. How do I stop this and be able to select Google photos?

I have Android 6.0.1 installed

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings -> Apps -> Camera importer (?) and clear defaults.

The next time you connect the camera it should ask you to choose an app.

singndance

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I have not been able to find any app that relates to Camera Importer. Is it possible that this is a sub program under either Google or the Samsung tweek of Android 6.0.1 ? If so, is there a program I can run to modify it?

singndance

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I have discovered the answer. It turns out Camera Importer is part of the Google Photos app. In order to undo the problem, I had to uninstall the Google Photos app and then Disable it. Then I plugged the Canon PowerShot SD880 IS camera back in and a Gallary popup appeared and asked me if I wanted to make Gallary the Default App. (which I did). The picture thumbnails loaded perfectly and then I could choose to select one or to import one or more. I re-enabled the Google Photos app but did not select it as the Default App.

Hudson Doyle

Jun 18, 2022
Visit site
N4Newbie:

Thank you for your help.

When I plug my cannon power shot camera into my pixel 4 Android 12, the phone does not recognize the connection and does nothing. So I cannot import photos.
I disabled Google photos and then when I connect the camera it recognizes the connection and asks which app to import with.
How can I enable Google photo and still import content from my camera?
It used to work so I must have changed some setting for this problem to have arisen.
Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you re-enable Google Photos and connect the camera, does it give you a choice of an app to complete the action? It may be that Google Photos had been set as default at some point, but actually isn't compatible with the camera.

Hudson Doyle

Jun 18, 2022
Visit site
When I enable Google photos and connect the camera nothing happens. Google photo was the default app and it was compatible with the camera but then I unmade it gphoto the default app (or something like that) and now gphoto seems to be preventing anything from happening when I connect the camera.
Thank you very much for your help!

Hudson Doyle

Jun 18, 2022
Visit site
Go to settings>apps.... But I don't see how to " reset app preferences".
I have tried clearing Google photos cache, to no effect....
Is there some way to reset the importer default app?

Hudson Doyle

Jun 18, 2022
Visit site
OK. So I reset app preferences as indicated in the video and still nothing happens when I connect my camera to my phone. I am still unable to import photos or videos from the camera onto my phone.... Next suggestion?? 😂 Thank you for your help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power