Android 8.0 Oreo: Rumored features and updates

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Post your rumored features and updates for Android O right here. It's all a bit fuzzy at the moment but as we get closer we should have a better picture of what we're looking at. New notification system and badges for app icons are a couple of the features I've heard about so far.

Share your rumors!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android O: Rumored features and updates

There are a couple features that I've heard about. The first one is "Copy Less" and here is how it could potentially work:

If you and a friend are having a conversation in a chat about where to eat dinner and you find a good restaurant in the Yelp app, when you go back to your conversation and type “it’s at,” one automatically generated suggestion in Gboard would be the restaurant’s address.”

Source:

The second feature which I'm very interested to try out is called "Improved gestures". So maybe we can draw the letter 'A' and open up AndroidCentral? :D

Today you can quickly call up your contacts using Ok Google, but in Android O you will be able to draw onscreen the letter C to open your contacts menu

Source:

The third one I've heard about is 'Picture In Picture". So you could grab and move a small video screen around your screen and watch it while tying a text or thing like that :)

Source:

I think Nougat is feature packed already and 'Oreo' (working title) is more of a refinement over Nougat. :)

What do you guys think?

Would you use the above 3 features?

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: Android O: Rumored features and updates

These features look quite cool , but using them is not exactly the most practical thing (in my opinion). I cannot wait for the day I get to taste Android 8.0 O(reo), but google seems to be implementing these things to ENSURE that Android O runs sluggishly on weaker devices (these features are such a waste of CPU cycles and RAM ). No offense, but I think google should be focusing on useful features such as combining multiple internet connections and making Android more efficient.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Lol. Fix the text message notifications and I'll be a happy camper. Put it back on the individual and not the conversation and I'll be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs