Mystery Update

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello All-

My Motorola Edge+ 2023 just recently updated to Android 14. A few glitches pop here and there, and perhaps will resolve themselves with future patches and updates.

Presently, and offering a bit of annoyance, is a 'mystery' update. We're attaching some screenshots to portray

So, we get the new updates available icon in the Notification area at top of screen. When pulling the shade down details are provided.
Today's update illustrates one new update, 2 updates total are pending. In Play Store there's only one. A restart of phone changes nothing. Everything is up to date System and Security wise, even Play updates.

Can anyone please offer a possible explanation for this anomaly?....
Thank you, in advance, for any input.

Tim

Pull shade down>>>
Screenshot_20240215-164339.png

Play Store>Manage apps & device>>>
Screenshot_20240215-164420.png

See details in Manage apps & device>>>
Screenshot_20240215-164446.png

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
The Google Play Store app is notifying you there are updates available for some of the apps installed on your phone. Tap on the 'Update all' button so the updates get downloaded and installed, and to clear that notification message.
Have already tried that, previously, to no avail....in Play Store, it will show no updates subsequently, but next time updates are available the 'mystery' update persists. Just started doing this after Android 14 update.

Reactions: TxDoc

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Are you using WiFi or mobile data? Have you given permission to install updates using mobile data?
WiFi.....no, no permission to download on mobile data....that's the option I've always used. Again, this started happening at the advent of Android 14 update.
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it might also be referring to a Google Play system update. If you haven't checked recently, go to the system settings, then Security>Updates, and then tap Google Play System Updates (not the monthly security update), and see if there's one available.

Reactions: TxDoc and Timbo72

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
I wonder if it might also be referring to a Google Play system update. If you haven't checked recently, go to the system settings, then Security>Updates, and then tap Google Play System Updates (not the monthly security update), and see if there's one available.
Thanks.....one of the first things we checked, and yes, it needed updating....but didn't fix issue....

The solution?....'mustang7757' s' proposal fixed it. 🙂

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Awesome glad I could help
Ok, bad news....it started doing it again.

We're going to maintain that it's definitely a bug related to Android 14 upgrade. Having some other menial issues, too, since 14....like Gboard doing whatever it feels like, and other little things

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

We're going to maintain that it's definitely a bug related to Android 14 upgrade. Having some other menial issues, too, since 14....like Gboard doing whatever it feels like, and other little things
Might have to try factory reset sometimes software updates need to be cleared out old files

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Which app it shows that won't update?

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Might have to try factory reset sometimes software updates need to be cleared out old files
We've already done 3 factory resets with Android 13 since purchasing this phone in Oct.
There was some sort of conflict involving Motorola hardware and Android Updates. We've heard there are, or can be, timing issues between Android and OEM's in coordinating things.

Would a factory reset take phone from 14 back to 13?..... someone told me to be careful doing factory resets- too many can cause major issues....not sure of the validity with that advice.

Motorola Support is no picnic to deal with, really. It's done through a forum and the Moto volunteers there are not very bright, and their comprehension skills are seriously lacking.

My phone is very fast, lots of RAM and Storage. But, due to poor support, probably will not purchase Motorola products again going forward. I don't know if Samsung is any better.

Maybe I should just work with/around these minor issues and see if they work themselves out on their own, or through future patch/update.

Thanks for the help.

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Which app it shows that won't update?
That's just it....it's a mystery....have no idea.
Notification states '1 New Update, 2 Pending', but open details, or go to Play Store and check Manage apps & device there's only the 1 update....

Now, as I type this, 2 more Updates just showed up, but Notification bar notification states 2 new, 3 pending.....see screenshots and you should be able to comprehend.

Thanks

Screenshot_20240219-205946.png
Screenshot_20240219-210012.png
Screenshot_20240219-210030.png

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
We've already done 3 factory resets with Android 13 since purchasing this phone in Oct.
There was some sort of conflict involving Motorola hardware and Android Updates. We've heard there are, or can be, timing issues between Android and OEM's in coordinating things.

Would a factory reset take phone from 14 back to 13?..... someone told me to be careful doing factory resets- too many can cause major issues....not sure of the validity with that advice.

Motorola Support is no picnic to deal with, really. It's done through a forum and the Moto volunteers there are not very bright, and their comprehension skills are seriously lacking.

My phone is very fast, lots of RAM and Storage. But, due to poor support, probably will not purchase Motorola products again going forward. I don't know if Samsung is any better.

Maybe I should just work with/around these minor issues and see if they work themselves out on their own, or through future patch/update.

Thanks for the help.
Factory reset won't take you from Android 14 to 13 you would have to flash the firmware for that if the bootloader not locked , so I know you mentioned factory reset on Android 13 but sometimes a new Android version like going to 14 can leave behind some temporary files from Android 13 that could conflict with new Android version. In saying all of this you can definitely wait until the next update and see if it will sort itself out before the nuke option lol factory reset as long as everything else is working fine .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's just it....it's a mystery....have no idea.
Notification states '1 New Update, 2 Pending', but open details, or go to Play Store and check Manage apps & device there's only the 1 update....

Now, as I type this, 2 more Updates just showed up, but Notification bar notification states 2 new, 3 pending.....see screenshots and you should be able to comprehend.

Thanks

View attachment 360133
View attachment 360134
View attachment 360135
Yeah see what you mean

Reactions: TxDoc and Timbo72

Timbo72

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Factory reset won't take you from Android 14 to 13 you would have to flash the firmware for that if the bootloader not locked , so I know you mentioned factory reset on Android 13 but sometimes a new Android version like going to 14 can leave behind some temporary files from Android 13 that could conflict with new Android version. In saying all of this you can definitely wait until the next update and see if it will sort itself out before the nuke option lol factory reset as long as everything else is working fine .
Cool.....makes sense to me.....we'll keep an eye on it for a spell and see if Motorola runs an update. Maybe we'll go to their forum and throw a feeler out at them to, at the least, let them know their are some bugs as a result of the update.....Personally, as mentioned above, we think Moto just lags behind Android a bit.
The 14 Update did come through Moto, though, and it's possible they just didn't coordinate well. Samsung doesn't usually have these issues as the Android flagship, from what I've read.
It seems Moto is trying to move into the higher end realm, though.

I went with the Edge+ because it's closer to stock Android architecture. Just didn't want to go through learning curve of Samsung's One UI.

Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000