out of cell but in wifi zone I cannot use google talk

Don Zcar

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung s5 originally ATT is now unlocked and using a Tmobile sim. If I am in a location where I am in a TMobile cell then I can use google talk thru the wifi just fine. However, if I am not getting cell coverage when I launch google talk to dial a number I get a msg "google voice is unable to place this call". So although google voice does not need a cell connection it cannot place a call unless I have one. I think that this is a left over function from ATT where they did not want you to use VOIP instead of their normal cell network.

I have screen shots of all my device information but at the moment I cannot figure out how to include them in my post.

to clarify my question in response to first response.
Yes, I am using hangouts as you are correct hangouts is the new name. I also have a google phone number which I can use. I am not sure how they are related. In any case with either app if I'm in a cell I can dial a number and connect thru the local wifi connection. However, if I am not getting a cell connection (which I shouldn't need) the phone dial just won't happen. Its as if the voip phone call is dependent on being in a valid cell network.

Last edited:

Don Zcar

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
to clarify my question in response to first response.
Yes, I am using hangouts as you are correct hangouts is the new name. I also have a google phone number which I can use. I am not sure how they are related. In any case with either app if I'm in a cell I can dial a number and connect thru the local wifi connection. However, if I am not getting a cell connection (which I shouldn't need) the phone dial just won't happen. Its as if the voip phone call is dependent on being in a valid cell network. The reason I'm not getting a cell connection is that my house has a metal roof which acts like a faraday shield. So I am unable to get a cell connection which is the reason I'm trying to use google hangouts and the google phone number.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the additional details. This probably won't help, but open Hangouts, tap Menu>Setting>[your account], and see if your phone number is verified.

Don Zcar

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
tks
It could be related to that. Whenever I first turn on the phone I get a msg "update your phone number". I assume that when they say "your number" they are referring to my devices number not the google voice number. A problem I have is that since I am out of my cell when google wants to send me a verification txt I can't get it. I'm going to have to try this someplace where I have wifi access AND I am in my cell too. I'll let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech