G Pad 8.3 vs Nexus 10

matty3054

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Saw this thread on another site and I wanted to pose this same question to all of you. (Vs nexus 10 - xda-developers)

I'm going to be upgrading from my current Tab 2 7.0 and I've decided it has to be at least an 8 inch tablet. I've narrowed it down to the Nexus 10 and G Pad 8.3.

Which would you all recommend - noting that streaming live sports (MLB.TV, NFL Sunday Ticket, ESPN) is going to be my main use of the tablet?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

matty3054

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree that a lot is size preference. My thing is - can I live with knowing I have an outdated 10 inch tablet (nexus being over a year old already). Or do I lose an inch and a half of screen but go with the latest and greatest.

matty3054

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes - that's true.

To be honest, screen size isn't a deal breaker for me. And I'm leaning G Pad because buying a 10 inch tablet that is over a year old is a tough pill to swallow - even if the Nexus has held up well (spec wise).

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
It would be great if someone that has had both could compare? I had my nexus 10 for a year and sold it earlier this week. Just a little too large but it was a great tablet and that resolution was just phenomenal. We haven't had a g pad on display at our best buy so I have been hesitant to buy one. I know the PPI isn't as good but is the text still really crisp with a great looking screen? That's what I really want in a 8-9 inch form factor. I figured I would just wait for something that fits that to come out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just like to point out that Best Buy does have the G Pad on show.... But its not with the tablets,... Its in the cell phone section next to the LG G2, yeah I know, very stupid, god knows why they are doing it that way, who in there right mind is going to look there for it, but yeah that's where you will find it.

I've had the G Pad, the Nexus 7 2013 and the Nexus 10 all at the same time and the G pad is my favorite, the screen on both the Nexus devices are fantastic, very bright and sharp, the G pad isn't as bright being 330 nits to 550 nits on the Nexus 7, but its still a great screen, looks sharp, lots of detail, warm colors.

The best way I could describe the G Pad is this way.... It really is the device in the middle, for me its the perfect size, it makes the 7 look small but is usable with one hand still, and you still get a lot screen so coming down from a 10 won't be much of an issue. 8.3 is like the sweet spot.

Speed wise I give the G Pad the nod over the 10, I found the 10 seemed to deteriorate over time, and the GPU in the 10 can and will struggle at times pushing all those pixels around the screen.

Build quality is where the G Pad shines, its like an HTC one but in tablet size, its light, really nice aluminum finish, to be honest it has more in common with an Apple iPad than it does with any other android device, and that's not a bad thing.

Speakers.... Not bad on the G Pad, stereo speakers but placing them on the rear of the tablet is a waste, they lack depth like most small speakers do but they are very usable, just don't go expecting HTC One style sound, the 10 may just about sound better here, but I think it's due to them being front facing.

Price wise at the moment you can get a G Pad for under $300, more inline with the N7 price, where as the 10 is still $499 if you buy new, dollar for dollar the G Pad is the better tablet, newer internals, better design, with the introduction of the GPe G Pad I would expect a boost in ROMs and accessories, and if your into CyanogenMod its official on the Pad now, kinda makes the GPe not worth getting when you can get the regular much cheaper

So yeah the Nexus 10 is an good tablet, but for me the 8.3 is the better tablet

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just like to point out that Best Buy does have the G Pad on show.... But its not with the tablets,... Its in the cell phone section next to the LG G2, yeah I know, very stupid, god knows why they are doing it that way, who in there right mind is going to look there for it, but yeah that's where you will find it.

I've had the G Pad, the Nexus 7 2013 and the Nexus 10 all at the same time and the G pad is my favorite, the screen on both the Nexus devices are fantastic, very bright and sharp, the G pad isn't as bright being 330 nits to 550 nits on the Nexus 7, but its still a great screen, looks sharp, lots of detail, warm colors.

The best way I could describe the G Pad is this way.... It really is the device in the middle, for me its the perfect size, it makes the 7 look small but is usable with one hand still, and you still get a lot screen so coming down from a 10 won't be much of an issue. 8.3 is like the sweet spot.

Speed wise I give the G Pad the nod over the 10, I found the 10 seemed to deteriorate over time, and the GPU in the 10 can and will struggle at times pushing all those pixels around the screen.

Build quality is where the G Pad shines, its like an HTC one but in tablet size, its light, really nice aluminum finish, to be honest it has more in common with an Apple iPad than it does with any other android device, and that's not a bad thing.

Speakers.... Not bad on the G Pad, stereo speakers but placing them on the rear of the tablet is a waste, they lack depth like most small speakers do but they are very usable, just don't go expecting HTC One style sound, the 10 may just about sound better here, but I think it's due to them being front facing.

Price wise at the moment you can get a G Pad for under $300, more inline with the N7 price, where as the 10 is still $499 if you buy new, dollar for dollar the G Pad is the better tablet, newer internals, better design, with the introduction of the GPe G Pad I would expect a boost in ROMs and accessories, and if your into CyanogenMod its official on the Pad now, kinda makes the GPe not worth getting when you can get the regular much cheaper

So yeah the Nexus 10 is an good tablet, but for me the 8.3 is the better tablet

LG may have wanted them together to demo Q Pair and Best Buy may have been too cheap to have a 2nd G Pad on display in the tablets section. ...and, knowing Best Buy, Q Pair is likely not being demoed. Who knows.

gp8.3

PablofromCA

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
There isn't a gpad on display at a BB anywhere near me since launch. I had to get it at newegg will call to finally see one, looked and messed around with it for ten minutes. Bought it and another one later. It's no ipad air but for $259 it's a god buy for an 8" tablet.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah none by me either. Not by phones or tablet. They aren't even for sale by me I would have to buy best buy online.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Just bought one myself (G Pad) and although I don't have much to compare it to (first tablet and all) I like it a lot.

Size, form factor, build, nice screen and the added LG features like knock on... Just a lot to like

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Saw this thread on another site and I wanted to pose this same question to all of you. (Vs nexus 10 - xda-developers)

I'm going to be upgrading from my current Tab 2 7.0 and I've decided it has to be at least an 8 inch tablet. I've narrowed it down to the Nexus 10 and G Pad 8.3.

Which would you all recommend - noting that streaming live sports (MLB.TV, NFL Sunday Ticket, ESPN) is going to be my main use of the tablet?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Go for the g pad. Unless you want to wait for a possible Nexus 10 re do. I came from an iPad 3 and the g pad is perfect.

Play with it if you can, only way to get a good feel for yourself.

stevenkisor1

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, everyone, for all the help.

Those that recently got the G Pad.....any buyer's remorse?

No remorse whatsoever! And thats from a guy who gets buyer's remorse about a candy bar. I love my G-pad (now if I could only get the dictionary to memorize "G-Pad").
I too was on the fence about 10" vs 8" tablet. My wife has a 10" Acer tablet that I used occasionally. After getting my G-Pad 2 weeks ago, her Acer now feels like carrying a slab concrete around. (And to compare screens and audio, we streamed "The Sound of Music" side by side via Comcast. The differences were amazing, from the rich colors on G-Pad, to volume levels, and glitch-free streaming (the Acer paused every 20 seconds to re-buffer))

So all that said, no buyer's remorse at all. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

matty3054

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can play Monopoly on the G Pad! That's reason to celebrate right there. ...if you're an old fart like me.

And, as I've been told, I can watch my Optimum TV service via the Optimum app - which is reason for me to celebrate as not all tablets are compatible yet!

So let's throw a party!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87