Holy crap textra is amazing

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
So I just gave up my N4 for this...and I come to find that there is no group messaging? Am I missing something? All my buddies are in a group msg and I get each one individually....this is 2013...if there is no group text, I will return the phone tomorrow. glad I didn't root it yet.

What carrier are you on? I have the Verizon S4 and group messaging works fine, never had a problem with it using the stock Messaging app.

EDIT: I'm an *****, just realized I was posting in wrong forum...carry on.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I loved GO SMS Pro back in the day, but the excessive customization got in the way of the functionality. I LOVED the options at first but ultimately I just need it to send and receive messages. Textra I have been using for a few months and love it. It's smooth, still has options, but gets the job done in a more consistent manner than Go did.

bgask1717

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, stock group messaging works fine on my phone

Posted via Android Central App

I created a thread about this today. Looks like the Verizon version has the ability to properly do group messaging in the stock app. The AT&T version does not have that setting. Which honestly I find ridiculous that all Android phones don't handle group messaging correctly in 2013.

gilbertpsk

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the moto x and can't get Textra to display my alert in the lock screen. I don't know about other android phones but I get most of my alerts on the lock screen with active notifications.

Any ideas?

----
Nevermind- I didn't have the app turned on in active notifications. This moto x is great; hopefully I'll learn how to use it fully.

~_~ Moto X via Android Central App

Last edited:

anon6136263

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I discovered this app last night through a Google search. I had enough of the S4 stock app. It was ridiculously slow/laggy, over compresses the photos I send, and frequently told me that photos were too big (mind you, I'm coming from iOS and didn't have to worry about files being too big since the iPhone handled all of that in the background). It was one of the many reasons I was considering going back to the iPhone (it's always the little things you take for granted).

But then I discovered Textra and it took care of everything, even disabling the S4 stock app (unlike some other apps where I had to do it myself and still didn't work). I just sent 5 high rez (20 megapixel Sony RX100) pics to my wife and it went through great as I would have, and come to have, expected from a text messaging app. It's the PERFECT text message replacement for Android. I just wish they had a better icon. I'm surprised that Google doesn't have a built in app like iMessage. Hopefully Hangouts becomes this.

hushpup13129

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been very satisfied as well but unable to figure out how to send an attachment; specifically, a photo. May I ask where I may find this feature?

BecomingDeath13

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been very satisfied as well but unable to figure out how to send an attachment; specifically, a photo. May I ask where I may find this feature?
On textra there is a plus next to the text box. Click it for photo, video, contact, etc options.

Also a little shortcut. Whatever your most recent photo you have taken is. Just long press the photo button and it will instantly insert the most recent photo. Save you from having to click photo, then go to the gallery and find the image.

Rebecca Pace

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Nailed it! Not very well documented, but that totally allowed me to choose custom notifications and custom colors for each person in my contact list! Thanks a bunch!

PhenomenalCross

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I like textra so far...except for the fact you cant do special unique notifications for certain people. (aka gf, best friend, mom, etc). Thats what I miss about Handcent. But textra just much more smoother imo.
Texta allows custom notification sounds and notification icons as well. Available I? Settings once you choose a conversation with the contact that tou want to customize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38