The G2's battery lasts longer than the Droid Maxx? (Says Engadget)

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So I've been debating on at least trying a Maxx to just see if the battery life was that much better. Just almost for peace of mind of not continually thinking "What if?" for the next year. Engadget says that the G2's battery lasted longer than the Maxx. That really surprises me.

Motorola Droid Maxx review

"These numbers are great, but does it hold the title for longest battery life in the market? We would have said yes until this past week, when we discovered that theLG G2 -- with its smaller, 3,000mAh battery -- actually lasts longer in real-world use and our standard video rundown test. Both deliver amazingly long runtime, so it's likely you'd be happy with either, but as you'll see, battery life isn't the only thing you should be considering as you make your decision."

Virgil52

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't say anything since I've never used the droid maxx but I've used my g2 hard for the last 5 days and I've never gotten in the red once with it. With my old phone the Xperia play I was charging 3 to 4 Times a day with the same exact usage.

Posted via Android Central App

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So I've been debating on at least trying a Maxx to just see if the battery life was that much better. Just almost for peace of mind of not continually thinking "What if?" for the next year. Engadget says that the G2's battery lasted longer than the Maxx. That really surprises me.

Motorola Droid Maxx review

"These numbers are great, but does it hold the title for longest battery life in the market? We would have said yes until this past week, when we discovered that theLG G2 -- with its smaller, 3,000mAh battery -- actually lasts longer in real-world use and our standard video rundown test. Both deliver amazingly long runtime, so it's likely you'd be happy with either, but as you'll see, battery life isn't the only thing you should be considering as you make your decision."

It actually doesn't surprise me. The #s we're getting are nuts.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It actually doesn't surprise me. The #s we're getting are nuts.

Though I only have the Maxx for now, it does seem like the numbers I'm seeing from people with the G2 are close to the Maxx. They may be slightly less in some instances, but I don't think the Maxx has $100 better battery life.

If battery is the deciding factor, really either phone would give you great battery life, so you'll have to determine which is worth your money. Unfortunately, it's a bit more difficult to determine if you will like the Maxx and things like Touchless Control and Active Notifications will require actual day-to-day usage to see any potential benefits.

darkestred

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I believe it to be as good if not better. Right now im sitting at 65 percent with 35 hours of battery time. Nearing 2 hours screen on time and according to the estimator if i were not to use my phone much id get another 121 hours. can't say i've ever experienced that with any phone.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The amoled of the maxx will make it last longer than the g2 for movies, but when displaying bright content it won't keep up with the g2.

It seems like Google is switching over to a lighter android. (see the google drive update) This is why I'd rather have an lcd over an amoled.

Posted via Android Central App

sanktheboat

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I have both. Just got the G2 3 days ago, but so far, there's no way its battery lasts as long as the Maxx's does. There's no shame in that, though. I have gotten my Maxx to below 50% one time, and that was with nearly 5 hours talk time and almost 6 hours of screen time.

Honestly, I have a tough decision to make. For real world use, I can honestly say there is no performance difference. Personal tastes have me leaning to the G2 (on screen buttons, LED notifications, lighter phone, feels better in my hand, headphone jack on the bottom). But the Maxx gets the best reception I've had in a smart phone, and the G2 is gonna have to prove itself in that area when I return to work tonight.

Other things equal out: twist vs. volume down to launch camera (G2 probably takes superior photos, but the shutter speed and focus on the Maxx are more important to me), unlock screen when moved or taken out of pocket vs. double tap, don't really like the power/volume buttons on either (too small on the Maxx, cheesy feeling on the G2, difficult to distinguish by feel on either phone), both phones have curiously tight USB ports, Maxx speaker is louder but G2's is slightly clearer and easier to cup with my hand for sound reflection toward the front, etc etc etc.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have both. Just got the G2 3 days ago, but so far, there's no way its battery lasts as long as the Maxx's does. There's no shame in that, though. I have gotten my Maxx to below 50% one time, and that was with nearly 5 hours talk time and almost 6 hours of screen time.

Honestly, I have a tough decision to make. For real world use, I can honestly say there is no performance difference. Personal tastes have me leaning to the G2 (on screen buttons, LED notifications, lighter phone, feels better in my hand, headphone jack on the bottom). But the Maxx gets the best reception I've had in a smart phone, and the G2 is gonna have to prove itself in that area when I return to work tonight.

Other things equal out: twist vs. volume down to launch camera (G2 probably takes superior photos, but the shutter speed and focus on the Maxx are more important to me), unlock screen when moved or taken out of pocket vs. double tap, don't really like the power/volume buttons on either (too small on the Maxx, cheesy feeling on the G2, difficult to distinguish by feel on either phone), both phones have curiously tight USB ports, Maxx speaker is louder but G2's is slightly clearer and easier to cup with my hand for sound reflection toward the front, etc etc etc.

Thanks for the real world comparison. Do you think the difference in the battery is enough to sway you towards the Maxx? Can you quantify the difference in the battery in any way? Is the battery that much better? How do you like the active notifications vs just the LED? You can use LightFlow to have the LED different colors for different types of messages. Does AN show you different notifications? Although the LED doesn't work for me 100% of the time. Maune 80% I'd say. Sometimes wrong color and sometimes just doesn't come on at all. If you have the maxx sitting on a desk can you just jiggle it a little to have the screen come on or I suppose it will be constantly breathing if its out in the open. I do like the way the G2 feels in the hand. The back is a little slippery and I'd probably actually get a slim case even though I'm totally not a case guy. I love the G2, but that Maxx battery is very tempting.

Last edited:

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll vouch for the awesome G2 battery life. My gf has the OG Maxx and I would say its def better than hers when she first go it. I can't believe I am getting 5hrs screen time over a 30hr period with about 20% battery left. Its pretty crazy.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll vouch for the awesome G2 battery life. My gf has the OG Maxx and I would say its def better than hers when she first go it. I can't believe I am getting 5hrs screen time over a 30hr period with about 20% battery left. Its pretty crazy.

What's OG?

sanktheboat

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Snareman,

I'll withhold a final call on battery comparison, but the main thing is that the Maxx battery lasts excessively long. Even if the G2 only lasts 75% as long, I'll probably never have to plug in before going to bed at night. Tomorrow will be its first full, regular day (I've been off the last 4 days). Judging by what I've seen so far, the G2 will likely last 70-85% as long as the Maxx.

You can budge the Maxx and it will wake. Kind of a love/hate thing for me. I love being able to unlock the screen whenever I pulled it out of my pocket or nudged it....

To be continued....

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Snareman,

I'll withhold a final call on battery comparison, but the main thing is that the Maxx battery lasts excessively long. Even if the G2 only lasts 75% as long, I'll probably never have to plug in before going to bed at night. Tomorrow will be its first full, regular day (I've been off the last 4 days). Judging by what I've seen so far, the G2 will likely last 70-85% as long as the Maxx.

You can budge the Maxx and it will wake. Kind of a love/hate thing for me. I love being able to unlock the screen whenever I pulled it out of my pocket or nudged it....

To be continued....

Thanks. I took my G2 off the charger around 9:30am today. Its now 11:30pm with moderate use through the day and an hour of talking on it and I'm still only at 50% so it will likely be ok. Still trying to get the notification LED worked out as it doesn't work consistently for me yet. What is the hate part of the love hate relationship with the active notifications?

Did you get the G2 just to see if you'd like it better than the Maxx?

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I had the Maxx for a week. Solely because the battery would allow more freedom. The G2 was released, and it was overall more attractive feature wise for me and it has comparable battery numbers. I bought the G2 on launch day.
Gave the Maxx to my son. I've used the G2 for about a week now.
I use the G2 in the same manner that I used the Maxx. I unplug my device at 7am daily. By the time I went to bed around midnight, I still had an average of 20% battery on the Maxx. With my G2, at around 8pm the battery is under 20%.
Before Maxx and G2, I never got out of my office at 4pm without having to plug in previous devices.
I was extremely happy with the Maxx battery performance and equally satisfied with my G2 because it gets me through an entire day until around bedtime.

Goingcarcrazy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, I had the Maxx for a week. Solely because the battery would allow more freedom. The G2 was released, and it was overall more attractive feature wise for me and it has comparable battery numbers. I bought the G2 on launch day.
Gave the Maxx to my son. I've used the G2 for about a week now.
I use the G2 in the same manner that I used the Maxx. I unplug my device at 7am daily. By the time I went to bed around midnight, I still had an average of 20% battery on the Maxx. With my G2, at around 8pm the battery is under 20%.
Before Maxx and G2, I never got out of my office at 4pm without having to plug in previous devices.
I was extremely happy with the Maxx battery performance and equally satisfied with my G2 because it gets me through an entire day until around bedtime.

How heavily would you say you use your phone through the day?

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
How heavily would you say you use your phone through the day?
I most likely use the phone function more than most. As I said, my device gets heavy phone call use. I'm an information junky so I'm heavily into mobile news reading and video watching. I'm definitely a power user. Because of my business, my phone is a critical part of my day.
On my off days, the Maxx routinely had at least 40% battery left by midnight.
I'm sure Engadget did exhaustive tests, but my results are different. The Maxx I used handled my daily battey beatings with much more juice to spare than my G2. But my G2 is the prince if Maxx is the king.
Now that I'm spoiled, I'll never buy a device with less than 3000mah.

Goingcarcrazy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I most likely use the phone function more than most. As I said, my device gets heavy phone call use. I'm an information junky so I'm heavily into mobile news reading and video watching. I'm definitely a power user. Because of my business, my phone is a critical part of my day.
On my off days, the Maxx routinely had at least 40% battery left by midnight.
I'm sure Engadget did exhaustive tests, but my results are different. The Maxx I used handled my daily battey beatings with much more juice to spare than my G2. But my G2 is the prince if Maxx is the king.
Now that I'm spoiled, I'll never buy a device with less than 3000mah.

The same thing happened with me. I got the Gnex when it came out. Huge mistake. After about a year with that I got the Razr Maxx HD and I could have been happier up until now with it starting to lag tremendously bad. I'm looking to upgrade and I love the G2 but an very curious if the battery will be enough for me. I would say I'm a moderate user, mainly a few phone calls, probably 100 texts a day, and some games or car news for an hour or so. It seems like the G2 would last me the day (which is really all I want).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty