Just upgraded to Lollipop - Now I want to do a Factory Reset - What will I Lose?

bardiferous

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
LG G2 - AT&T version, D800 (in white, as if!) Was KitKat when I bought it used, unlocked (and in awesome condition!) and signed up for Consumer Cellular, which runs on the AT&T network.

Just upgraded to Lollipop almost a week ago. Was soooo looking forward to Smart Lock but it ain't there. And there are some other quirks, annoying messages from apps that do not seem to need to notify me about requiring an update.

So I want to do a factory reset. Preferably, I'd like to have as much come back (minus the quirks, and plus Smart Lock) as possible. Photos and any media are already downloaded; would like to save (a) wireless settings, (b) text messages, (3) installed apps, (4) app & phone settings, widgets, wallpaper, etc.

Questions:
1. What can I NOT get back?
2. What version Android will be active when it comes back?
3. Will my phone be locked? And will I be screwed if it is?
4. Are there any concerns that I SHOULD BE thinking about?

Thanks in advance.... HELP!

tosinwashere

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
1. Depends on how much you have backed up. You can back up your SMS, Call logs, etc. and store them on the cloud, and download them again. You'll need to download a third party app. You can not save widgets, wallpaper, etc. You can't save wireless settings. App data I think will be backed up to the cloud depending on the app (like I think some games on google play?) but then again you can download an app to back said data up, store it on the cloud manually, and download again. Installed apps will need to be installed again.

2. Lollipop

3. No, it won't. You'll set it up like you just got a new phone, unless google has changed this for security reasons. You won't be screwed anyways, as long as you know your google username & password.

4. eh. i don't know.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
See Backing up an Android Phone. As maduro said, it'll be like when it came out of the box. You'll have to put in your Google account. Once you do that, everything you had synced on Google will come back (so go into your Google account (on the phone) before you reset and make sure everything is set to sync). Anything that Google doesn't sync you'll have backed up (on a computer, not on the phone, of course).

As for Smart Lock, AT&T may have it disabled.

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
To correct some of the answers.
You say you "Just upgraded to Lollipop almost a week ago".
Sp after the factory reset it will be exactly as it was almost a week ago at the moment at the first start after the upgrade to L

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
To correct some of the answers.
You say you "Just upgraded to Lollipop almost a week ago".
Sp after the factory reset it will be exactly as it was almost a week ago at the moment at the first start after the upgrade to L

Incorrect. The Lollipop update doesn't wipe your storage (apps, music, saved files, etc.) A factory reset does.

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
He said he upgraded to Lollipop last week. And asks what will happen if he does a factory reset now. And the answer is - he will have a fresh copy of the Lollipop he installed last week.

bardiferous

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I've done factory resets before when I had a T-mobile Galaxy S2.

I guess my biggest concern is the device was unlocked when I bought it used. I'm not on AT&T as an AT&T customer. I am on AT&T as a Consumer Cellular customer.

I have heard that factory resets can re-lock an unlocked phone. Is that true?

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
He said he upgraded to Lollipop last week. And asks what will happen if he does a factory reset now. And the answer is - he will have a fresh copy of the Lollipop he installed last week.

Have you done the Lollipop upgrade on the G2. It does not wipe your storage. A factory reset will wipe it.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I've done factory resets before when I had a T-mobile Galaxy S2.

I guess my biggest concern is the device was unlocked when I bought it used. I'm not on AT&T as an AT&T customer. I am on AT&T as a Consumer Cellular customer.

I have heard that factory resets can re-lock an unlocked phone. Is that true?

I have an unlocked G2 that I bought on Amazon. I did a factory reset and it is still unlocked.

bardiferous

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
FACTORY RESET THIS MORNING.

What a difference - everything works and YES!! YES!! Smart Lock is there!

Surprisingly, the backup & restore did bring back my apps and how the pages were laid out, most of the settings but not the custom ringtones.

So, I'm very happy and very relieved that my G2 is snappy,

Thanks for the feedback & clarifications!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer