LG G3 UK vs European version

Victoria Stewart

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all.
Apologies if this has been asked somewhere sometime, I can't seem to find the answer... which may mean that it's not a big deal...?!
(Or, do you know of a *cough* larger UK forum for this query?)

So I'm finally getting round to buying a LG G3 - D855. I'm in N.Ireland, so the UK version is the one that is most readily available here.
However, I'm tempted by the 3/32 European version, which is the same price as the 2/16 UK version on some sites!

But, are there any differences between the UK or European versions? Or anything in the spec I should be looking out for?
Obviously the EU version probably has an EU plug on the charger though the shops say they provide a UK adapter (though I can easily pick one up anyway).

And LG won't cover the EU warranty in UK/Ireland? Some of the shops seem to provide a 1 year warranty so maybe that's ok. I don't know if LG somewhere in Europe would cover the warranty, but as the postage from the UK would probably cost a fortune and then I don't know if they'd send it back......

Any advice on where to buy? Is it better to buy from a UK shop selling the EU version, or say one of the EU Amazon sites? (depending on price of course).

Many thanks for any advice.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to AC and the G3 forum.☺

I'm not sure that there is a specifically UK version of the phone. I bought my own G3 from Carphone Warehouse, a D855-EUR version. It's a 16GB model. I'm in England, though I doubt that's of much phone relevance. If you buy online, you have to be careful that the device you buy has the right radio bands, and that it has an LG warranty.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Victoria Stewart

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I believe the 3/32 GB comes with an LG EU warranty but I've been seeing a number of posts that say LG UK won't honour that as the 32GB version isn't 'available' in the UK..!! Don't know if anyone has pushed that on the basis that the UK is part of the EU.

So, if I decide on the 32GB version, I'd be relying on the shop's warranty which is sort of why I haven't actually bought one today yet!
(That and also, the colour would be titan which I think is more grey than black, though I suppose that is a really really minor issue especially as I'd be putting it into a case.)

Cheapest places I've been checking out are Clove (16GB) and Handtec (32GB). Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where to look?
Ta.

lucids

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for posting this as i have been considering exactly the same thing. I'm in the UK also and the 16GB Uk version in several shops is about £460 whereas online say at expansys uk the exact same 16GB EU version is £329. The EU 32GB version say at the French Expansys site comes in at £370 including delivery. I phoned up Expansys UK and they said that would even do the EU 32GB version over the phone (as opposed to online) if i wanted and that they would honour the 2 year EU warranty if done through them and the phone if needed repairing is sent to their service centre in Slough.

I contacted LG UK direct and they point blank refused to honour the warranty of any non UK phone (based upon the IMEI they said) even if it was the EU version say destined for a french of other EU countries market. They said you would have to get in touch with LG france in that circumstance, I got the impression the same would apply to even the 16GB EU model which is £150 cheaper than buying in a UK shop. Seems LG are conning people here. But I really wouldn't worry about the warranty as the retailer like expansys have agreed to honour it.

I am concerned about the LTE 4g working properly though and LG wouldn't give me a truthful or straight answer and were deliberately misleading me as to whether even the EU version would support UK 4G.

Assuming that we are talking about an EU phone I know for a fact that the frequencies should work ok for UK 4G as the phone is designed to work on 800/1800/2100 and 2600Mhz. I have read that they have hidden the LTE option in the menu and you have to enter special codes to access it, though it resets and hides if the phone is powered off. I'm not sure whether this is true of just versions headed for Asia or non UK EU models. LG refused to tell me or explain and said that even the EU 16GB non UK model wouldn't support uk 4G.

I have never dealt with such an awful company like this before just trying to get some simple answers. I speak to HTC a lot about several phones and they go out of their way to be helpful and advise while LG are just difficult on purpose.

I hope someone who has purchased the non uk EU G3 either 16/32Gb can help us find out whether 4G works as LG themselves are as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought my G3 32Gb model from Handtec three weeks ago. It was sourced from France. Handtec provide a 12 month warranty to the best of my knowledge.

As for the 4g LTE, in my area there is only 3g but on a visit to Milton Keynes 4g appeared, so it suggests it works.

If you type *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer it gets you into a testing menu. Then select "phone info" and scroll down to "set preferred network type". Mine shows LTE/GSM/WCDMA as the default for my phone.

lucids

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought my G3 32Gb model from Handtec three weeks ago. It was sourced from France. Handtec provide a 12 month warranty to the best of my knowledge.

As for the 4g LTE, in my area there is only 3g but on a visit to Milton Keynes 4g appeared, so it suggests it works.

If you type *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer it gets you into a testing menu. Then select "phone info" and scroll down to "set preferred network type". Mine shows LTE/GSM/WCDMA as the default for my phone.

Thanks for your reply Steve though I knew that already.Assuming you are in the UK could you please test the phone properly by powering it off then on again (resetting what was set by the hidden menu) and check in the phone settings/mobile networks section, as to when in the Preferred Network Mode and look to see if the option to select GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto is there ?

And post as to what exact model and firmware you have if it says its EU model or is there some reference to UK anywhere. We are trying to determine whether LG differentiates the UK model unlocked sim free model from its EU counterpart by any way.

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes I am in the UK.
Phone is LG D855 model.
Firmware V10L- EUR - XX
Switched phone off/on. Test menu defaults to LTE/GSM/WCDMA.
In normal menu - phone settings - mobile networks - network mode - preferred network mode - GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto is shown.

I am unlocked on 3.

Hope that answers your questions.

lucids

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply that is very helpful, just a shame LG themselves couldn't be so clear. Just looking on XDA and they're looking at the 3rd or 4th Lollipop update on 20D it seems flashing with the LG updater. This is stock firmware update btw not a custom ROM.

I may have to delay my purchase as it seems there is an issue with the phones A2DP being supported by my carkit that I need to resolve 1st otherwise the bluetooth music streaming or SatNav audio won't work over bluetooth.