Ford Sync not working with hangouts.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I have my Google voice number as my default phone, and my default messaging app. It doesn't play nice with Ford Sync in our companies new Explorer. Let me state the regular Verizon number works flawless with it. Back to hangouts. I can dial out from sync with no problems. But incoming calls to the hangouts number(Google voice number) are not acknowledged by Sync. When I answer the call with the phone, the audio does come through sync, and I can hang up the call from sync. Text messages are not acknowledged at all by Sync. I can change sync to Bluetooth audio and hear/control from there. But, who wants to leave it set to Bluetooth audio. I want to hear the radio. Anyone have this problem?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have my Google voice number as my default phone, and my default messaging app. It doesn't play nice with Ford Sync in our companies new Explorer. Let me state the regular Verizon number works flawless with it. Back to hangouts. I can dial out from sync with no problems. But incoming calls to the hangouts number(Google voice number) are not acknowledged by Sync. When I answer the call with the phone, the audio does come through sync, and I can hang up the call from sync. Text messages are not acknowledged at all by Sync. I can change sync to Bluetooth audio and hear/control from there. But, who wants to leave it set to Bluetooth audio. I want to hear the radio. Anyone have this problem?

Sounds like you have all kinds of stuff going on there. In your Google Voice app do you have it set to use Google Voice for all calls or to prompt you?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Google voice is set for all calls.

And you have the Hangouts dialer installed as well? What would happen if you removed the Hangouts Dialer app? Google Voice will still work. Maybe the Hangouts Dialer is causing some kind of conflict. I use Google Voice on my phone and I don't have the Hangouts Dialer installed.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I can deal with having to answer calls on my phone. It's the failure to see hangout texts as text messages when listening to the radio, that bugs me.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Bob61. I thought I was alone in the world. I did some more testing. If I start the message and send a text from the sync screen, it will even show up on the other users phone as my gvoice number. And when they reply, it will activate and read it then. It just will not activate for a new incoming message if it's sent to my gvoice number. I also changed the default sms app from hangouts to gvoice. It did not change anything.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
From what little in was able to find on the subject, look like hangouts stopped working correctly with sync after hangouts went to version 2.

Dagr

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I realize this is a pretty old thread, but if anyone has any new information regarding Sync & Hangouts I'd appreciate it. :) I have the newer Sync 3 and it does not integrate with Hangouts SMS. Since I use Project Fi, hangouts is the central hub for SMS & voicemail (and can also be used to make calls). If I switch hangouts off, I lose the ability to easily text from any device (such as my laptop)... so I really want to keep using Hangouts, but also would like to see SMS notifications in my new vehicle!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty