Google Assistant Not Working!

flashy714

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I had posted a similar thread about this in the past. At this point, on my s23 Plus, I cannot get Google Assistant to dial any number I call out or to dial any of my contacts.

I have synced my contacts from Outlook, with permission allowed to sync contacts and see personal results in both Google app and in Outlook.

I have deleted all my contacts, deleted all my Google accounts and added only one back. I flushed the cache and the data from Google, did a force stop of the Google app, and restarted the phone.

After restoring contacts, assistant will still not dial either a phone number I call out, or any of my contacts!

Thanks again for revisiting this issue, and any prospective responses!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your response, I did uninstall the updates, but it did not change any behaviors of Assistant.
Did you try retraining your voice model for the Google Assistant? I've had to do that multiple times after an update to get it working again.

Also try turning the Assistant off, restart your phone, then turn it back on again, then go through the setup/voice retraining and grant it any permissions it needs.

I've also had to do a cache partition wipe in the recovery menu on my wife's phone to fix her Assistant 😉

Reactions: mustang7757

flashy714

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Did you try retraining your voice model for the Google Assistant? I've had to do that multiple times after an update to get it working again.

Also try turning the Assistant off, restart your phone, then turn it back on again, then go through the setup/voice retraining and grant it any permissions it needs.

I've also had to do a cache partition wipe in the recovery menu on my wife's phone to fix her Assistant 😉
In response to your three suggestions in reverse order... I did a cache partition wipe which did not fix the issue. I also turned off assistant and restarted my phone and granted permissions, which did not fix the issue.
As to restraining the voice model, I am manually hitting the button for voice input, as opposed to waking the assistant with ok or hey Google.

So, no luck so far.

Reactions: J Dubbs

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In response to your three suggestions in reverse order... I did a cache partition wipe which did not fix the issue. I also turned off assistant and restarted my phone and granted permissions, which did not fix the issue.
As to restraining the voice model, I am manually hitting the button for voice input, as opposed to waking the assistant with ok or hey Google.

So, no luck so far.
When you say sync your contact for Google account and outlook where did you do this?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
First, excuse me for not responding to this thread in a timely manner.

I synced my contacts in the native contacts app... By choosing manage contacts, and then sync contacts.
No problem
Go to settings>accounts and back up>see if your Google account and outlook are all toggled on to sync there ?

flashy714

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
No problem
Go to settings>accounts and back up>see if your Google account and outlook are all toggled on to sync there ?
I did check that, and even removed all of my Google accounts from the phone, restarted the phone, added just one account back in, restarted the phone, made sure that sync was on for all items, both in that Google account and for my Outlook account.

I can see all of my contacts in the native contacts app... But when I try to "dial a number" or "dial Steve" using the voice command, all that happens is Chrome opens with a search for the thing I said.

Thanks for your continued attention to this thread!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did check that, and even removed all of my Google accounts from the phone, restarted the phone, added just one account back in, restarted the phone, made sure that sync was on for all items, both in that Google account and for my Outlook account.

I can see all of my contacts in the native contacts app... But when I try to "dial a number" or "dial Steve" using the voice command, all that happens is Chrome opens with a search for the thing I said.

Hmm interesting
Try uninstall the update to Google app and see if assistant works ?
Do you normal check for updates to apps through play store and galaxy store?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Just to give it a shot, I would suggest setting up the Google Assistant "Hey Google" hot word, then see if voice activation works. If it does, I would bet the mic button will start working as well. The Assistant can be very finicky sometimes... I've learned to try every way possible to convince it to work. 😉

I just realized something... you're using the mic in the chrome search bar... that just searches chrome. For the Google Assistant to listen you need to hold down the home button, or if you're using gestures you have to swipe up from one of the bottom corners.

Last edited:

flashy714

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
You had written:
I just realized something... you're using the mic in the chrome search bar...

You are correct about that.
When I use an alternate method for opening assistant, it does work properly.

But, here's the rub, until last week... I've always used the mic button in the Chrome search bar, and it did search my contacts and dial phone numbers properly.

I'm wondering what changed!

Incidentally, with regard to the rest of your post, I was unable to make the power button open up assistant, and using the gestures at the bottom cause me to lose my ability to be able to switch back and forth between apps using the button on the navigation bar.

My workaround is that I went to the Play store and actually installed the assistant app, so that I could have a button on my home screen to use for calling out numbers or dialing people.

Once again I will say, how much I appreciate people's attention and effort in helping others!

Reactions: 1raygin and J Dubbs

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad you finally found a workaround 👍

I did just hold down the home button on my Flip 3 and the Google Assistant popped up... with the little mic button waiting for me to push it. So it does work on my phone running One UI 5.1 Android 13, which would be the same you're on... unless you're on the beta.

When I changed the side button from activating the Assistant to turning the phone off, I might have set the home button as the Assistant button, I don't remember 😕

As for the corner swipe, you have to have gestures turned on (not using the buttons on screen), and swipe up and in towards the center of the screen. I thought that was built in to Android gestures on all phones. I haven't actually tried it on my Flip because I don't use gestures on it.. just the buttons like you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter