LG Screen Lag and other Issue

CheapCharlie

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I have an AT&T branded LG G3 manufactured in July 2014. Randomly, when I try to swipe panels on the homescreen, the display seems to freeze for up to ten seconds. Performing a reboot helps. But, sometimes after I reboot, the text messaging centre will show numbers instead of the contact names. Sometimes, the numbers will stay for up to five minutes before being replaced by the contacts. the Contacts Menu always shows names during this. Finally, randomly, while I am typing a text message, the message thread will lock up and I will be unable to type further. A restart will be the only fix.

I also want to add that the two SIM Cards failed in the G3 six months and three months ago

I have done two factory resets, but these random issues still occur. have any of you folks encountered any of these issues? If so, what was the fix?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30130

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

CheapCharlie

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I performed a safe mode reboot. The Contacts in the Messenger were displayed as names. Two minutes into safe mode, they changed to numbers and stayed that way. I did not notice the screen lag. I rebooted out of the Safe Mode, the phone remained stuck on the AT&T Logo Wallpaper for a really really long time. After what felt like an eternity, it was back in the home page. As before, the contacts were names, but a couple minutes later, they changed to numbers and stayed that way for five minutes before returning to names. Could the default LG Messenger APP be corrupted?

Also, the weather widget randomly changes the weather location to a city in Nevada; I live in SW Washington. It did that in Safe Mode.

Finally, after the reboot into normal mode, I tried to make a phone call, the phone reported on the dialer screen 'Emergency Call Mode' despite having five full bars and LTE. When I tried to call immediately afterward, the call went through successfully.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I used to have lots of lag and lock ups with mine.

I switched to a Pixel XL as my main phone. . Then factory reset my G3.

I use it as a work phone, only do phone calls, texting and our email app (Good).

The lag is gone and no lock ups. . I suspect it was a memory issue with all of the apps that I had on it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! My G3 gave me similar types of lags when I had been using it for a little over a year - at around ten months, it would start doing this. Is your contract almost up?

CheapCharlie

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi! My G3 gave me similar types of lags when I had been using it for a little over a year - at around ten months, it would start doing this. Is your contract almost up?

Yes it is up. Just really disappointed the phone is having these issues so quick out of contract. I did update the firmware as mentioned by B Diddy, no help. I am going to assume my issues are not reversible due the possibility the phone's internal hardware is failing.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is up. Just really disappointed the phone is having these issues so quick out of contract. I did update the firmware as mentioned by B Diddy, no help. I am going to assume my issues are reversible due the possibility the phone's internal hardware is failing.

I understand your disappointment: these kinds of things shouldn't happen and are annoying when they do. Would you consider getting a new phone - perhaps another LG device, if you really liked your G3? The G4 and G5 are good bargains right now - and the G6 is right around the corner!

CheapCharlie

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm on the fence right now for my next phone. The G3 is my first LG product. Other than the hardware problems I am having, the phone has been an absolute joy to use. Since At&t no longer has contracts, I really would like to buy a phone that lasts longer than 24 months. Samsung S7 prices really have come down in the last few months and I would consider it as a viable pick, though I have misgivings about the lack of a removable battery. Especially when you consider all of the battery problems I had with my S1 and S3. I have scoured Swappa, my local shops and refurbished phone outlets for other options. I don't like how the G5 changed from the G3/G4 style. I like the volume/power buttons on back, plus the LG G3/G4 screen size. That being said, I might consider a really good shape G4. Finally, I have been reading the forums here and it seems the G4/V10 have hardware issues of their own. Are these a small percentage or more widely occurring?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the fence right now for my next phone. The G3 is my first LG product. Other than the hardware problems I am having, the phone has been an absolute joy to use. Since At&t no longer has contracts, I really would like to buy a phone that lasts longer than 24 months. Samsung S7 prices really have come down in the last few months and I would consider it as a viable pick, though I have misgivings about the lack of a removable battery. Especially when you consider all of the battery problems I had with my S1 and S3. I have scoured Swappa, my local shops and refurbished phone outlets for other options. I don't like how the G5 changed from the G3/G4 style. I like the volume/power buttons on back, plus the LG G3/G4 screen size. That being said, I might consider a really good shape G4. Finally, I have been reading the forums here and it seems the G4/V10 have hardware issues of their own. Are these a small percentage or more widely occurring?

I *definitely* agree with you about the back buttons: I loved the hardware of the G3/G4 and that plus the screen size was one reason why, though the G5 was cool, I wouldn't consider buying it for myself.

I recommend the G4, for sure! It's a great device to own. As far as what you've been seeing around the forums, sure, the G4 and V10 could encounter hardware issues or problems; but keep in mind that a lot of individuals are more likely to post about problems they are encountering with their devices than about praise stories about said devices. Any device could have a hardware or software issue - my advice is to try and find a like-new or even brand new (but I know that's tough) G4 if you are interested in it! Plus, as you've said, the fact that its battery is removable is a big plus.

Also, watching unboxing and review videos on YouTube could give you a better idea about how the device runs and can answer any other questions you may have.

As an aside, my boyfriend's brother has the G4 and really loves it - my boyfriend almost wants to switch over to a G4 because he was so impressed with the camera. I feel like I'd consider buying the G4 if I were to stick with LG. I agree with you: the LG experience is great!

CheapCharlie

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Strange new problem at work today. My phone was at 100% when I clocked in. Two hours into my shift, I couldn't turn on the screen. When I plugged the phone in, the lock screen said the battery was at 0%. Tried everything to charge it up using my USB cable. Finally, my friend lent me his S7 charger and after 4 hours, the phoned charged up to 100%. The rest of the day the battery ran ok. Could a failing battery be the cause of all of my problems?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Strange new problem at work today. My phone was at 100% when I clocked in. Two hours into my shift, I couldn't turn on the screen. When I plugged the phone in, the lock screen said the battery was at 0%. Tried everything to charge it up using my USB cable. Finally, my friend lent me his S7 charger and after 4 hours, the phoned charged up to 100%. The rest of the day the battery ran ok. Could a failing battery be the cause of all of my problems?

It sounds like the battery may be the culprit, if it is indeed functioning with different chargers/cables (which would likely mean that the port is not damaged). My G3 would charge erratically with any charger/cable I used, so I too had assumed that the battery had been the issue.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Both of my G3's had battery issues at about the 24 month mark.

I just went online and got 2 cheapies. While they were not like having new fresh from LG batteries, they made our phones run 100% better.

CheapCharlie

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Got myself a new battery from Battery Plus. It is Duracell Branded and they are giving a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. So far, no more issues. I am going to wait a bit before I say the phone is cured. One of my local shops won't sell anymore LG branded batteries, they claim a huge number of fakes have flooded the market and they can't tell the difference between the two until the counterfeits start failing in a few months.

CheapCharlie

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Spoke too soon. Today, the phone restarted itself and was stuck on the LG logo for nearly 10 minutes. Contacts are permanently displayed as phone numbers. Turned off the phone and put my old battery in and restarted, no help. Went to Batterys Plus and they tried a new battery with no help. The screen lag is back with a vengeance along with the occasional random reboot. I think it is time replace my G3.