How to Restore Backed up data (Messages, etc) after Factory Reset

Indywar2

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I recently backed up everything on my phone prior to performing a factory reset on my LG G3. After the rest, the apps were automatically restored, but some of my data was not . For example my message texting app didn't have any of the archive messages restored. Where are the data files found for my apps, so I can copy them back to my LG G3?

Thanks,
Rob

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I recently backed up everything on my phone prior to performing a factory reset on my LG G3.

What did you use to back up 'everything' An online, cloud based service or to a computer? Also which apps did you use to do the backups?

Indywar2

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I used the built-in backup and restore function on the LG G3. And because I didn't trust that, I copied all files from my LG G3 to my laptop hard drive. So I have all the old files, I am trying to figure out which folders would contain my old data (such as text message from Messages app and data from Med Helper app).

Thanks,
Rob

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I used the built-in backup and restore function on the LG G3. And because I didn't trust that, I copied all files from my LG G3 to my laptop hard drive. So I have all the old files, I am trying to figure out which folders would contain my old data (such as text message from Messages app and data from Med Helper app).

Unfortunately that 'Backup' option buried in the Settings menu is a bit of a misnomer as it applies only to Google related apps/services and their settings. From a narrow point of view that naming covers your basic Google settings as it does do what it says but for us as consumers it's mostly a deception by omission. To get a full backup and restore you need to add some effort, and it often involves multiple services with some requiring a rooted device. Samsung for instance has a nice backup and restore utility but it's limited to Samsung devices so once your needs involve a different brand it becomes useless. There is a popular backup app called Helium (root not required but does lessen some user interaction) but it is something that needs to be set up beforehand, not after.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.koushikdutta.backup&hl=en&token=KIB6bBwN
Anyway, back to your original query. I don't think there's going to be any simple way for you to restore all your data at this point. (Hope I'm wrong and someone will chime in with better suggestions.) With nothing set up before the Factory Reset you'll need to use a file manager app to manually copy over your backed up miscellany to the appropriate directories on your phone -- this will involve a tedious process of locating the appropriate app folder in your backup and copying its contents to the exact, appropriate folder in your phone. Note that for some things, like your photo library, that will consist of lots of individual image files, each photo is its own file, but for some things like your text messages, those are typically kept in a single mini-database file, all text messages contained in one file (often a .xml file format).

Indywar2

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks SMVIM for the response. That confirms my suspicion, that while the apps were restored to my phone, the data associated with them were not. I did however, backup everything from my cell phone to my hard drive prior to the factory reset, so in theory it is still there. I really only need the data from two apps: Google Messages and Med Helper Pill reminder. I checked my backed up files, but didn't see anything the was obviously those two apps, so I am assuming they named it something strange.

Is anyone aware of a way to contact the app creators to ask where they store their data files?

Thanks,
Rob

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Google Messages or Android Messaging should have saved some if not all messages upon installation after a factory reset