Sprint LG G4 First impressions

moysauce

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Got my G4 delivered on Wednesday and wanted to share my impressions so far:
- Got the black leather model. It's very slippery. I am hoping some natural oil from my skin and some wear will make handling more comfortable. We'll see in a week or two.
- The camera is fantastic. As the reviews state, the color reproduction is pretty spot on. Will share more later.
- I am coming from an HTC One M8. I don't think the UX 4.0 software can hold a candle to HTC's Sense. There are things I miss ie.: HTC CAR app, DND modes being really flexible, HTC backup service (which actually works vs. LG's backup solution - only works when saving to SD card), HTC Mail/Calendar. LG's software isn't horrible. It's just not as good as HTC's software IMO. Definitely a better experience than when i purchased the Samsung GS4.
- Jury is still out on battery life. I am not sure if i get as much as i do vs. the One M8. Give me a week to let things settle.
- Knock On feature is good. Although the curves on the G4 make the device wobble when sitting on flat surface.
- The curve on the screen seems to fit nicely on the face when talking on the phone. Although still trying to see benefit of curve when holding the device.
- I live in Boston so LTE coverage is pretty decent here. No problems with reception except for known holes in Sprint's LTE coverage.

That's it for now folks. Ask away and i'll do my best to answer questions!
**EDIT 05/31/2015: HTC quick charge 2.0 adapter DOES WORK on the G4! I think 15 - 20 percent boost in battery life in 10 minutes!**

Last edited:

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Got my G4 delivered on Wednesday and wanted to share my impressions so far:
- Got the black leather model. It's very slippery. I am hoping some natural oil from my skin and some wear will make handling more comfortable. We'll see in a week or two.
- The camera is fantastic. As the reviews state, the color reproduction is pretty spot on. Will share more later.
- I am coming from an HTC One M8. I don't think the UX 4.0 software can hold a candle to HTC's Sense. There are things I miss ie.: HTC CAR app, DND modes being really flexible, HTC backup service (which actually works vs. LG's backup solution - only works when saving to SD card), HTC Mail/Calendar. LG's software isn't horrible. It's just not as good as HTC's software IMO. Definitely a better experience than when i purchased the Samsung GS4.
- Jury is still out on battery life. I am not sure if i get as much as i do vs. the One M8. Give me a week to let things settle.
- I have an HTC quick charge 2.0 adapter and it doesn't work with the G4. I'm not sure if i need a better, more amperage QC 2.0 charger? (Anyone have recommendations if they got QC 2.0 to work?)
- Knock On feature is good. Although the curves on the G4 make the device wobble when sitting on flat surface.
- The curve on the screen seems to fit nicely on the face when talking on the phone. Although still trying to see benefit of curve when holding the device.
- I live in Boston so LTE coverage is pretty decent here. No problems with reception except for known holes in Sprint's LTE coverage.

That's it for now folks. Ask away and i'll do my best to answer questions!

You will always miss some features when you change manufacturers. I use a G2 while waiting for the G4. I had the Samsung S2/3/4/5 and the Note 2/3. I really liked the way you could auto reject (adding to a list) and the swipe left and right to call/text. LG doesn't offer this. I also had the Droid Turbo and really liked the active notifications. A swipe of the hand across the device tells you what you have.

I have read where the black leather is somewhat slippery but the brown leather has a different texture to it.

moysauce

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The T-Mobile model we got works with QC2.0. I haven't tried my Moto charger with it but we have a 3rd party QC2.0 charger that has a light that turns on when using Quick Charge and it turns on when plugged into the LG.

18W USB Universal AC Wall Adaptive Fast Charger Qualcomm® Quick Cha... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OVD3FEU...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4458808

Posted via the Android Central App

I am going to order one. Thanks for the suggestion. How fast does it charge?

moysauce

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You will always miss some features when you change manufacturers. I use a G2 while waiting for the G4. I had the Samsung S2/3/4/5 and the Note 2/3. I really liked the way you could auto reject (adding to a list) and the swipe left and right to call/text. LG doesn't offer this. I also had the Droid Turbo and really liked the active notifications. A swipe of the hand across the device tells you what you have.

I have read where the black leather is somewhat slippery but the brown leather has a different texture to it.

Do you know where i can get the brown leather case? I'd like to see the comparison. I don't see any for sale on LG's website. I'm assuming because the phone is supposed to launch tomorrow?

moysauce

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I am going to order one. Thanks for the suggestion. How fast does it charge?

My htc charger w/QC 2.0 does work. Tried last night as my phone should have "settled" by now and got a nice boost in 10 minutes of charging. Hoping the Tenergy one you recommended to me will charge even faster!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Andy Adler

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
How's the speaker loudness/quality compared to the M8? I have an M7 and am seriously considering upgrading to the G4, but I'm afraid I'd miss the front speakers on the HTCs. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Alot of people have complained on other manufacturers flagships that the Lollipop update breaks their phone or makes it unstable.

Is there any indication that this is the same for the G4?

.: Sent from my 'Android til I die' Phone or Tablet :.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Alot of people have complained on other manufacturers flagships that the Lollipop update breaks their phone or makes it unstable.

In my opinion in most cases those that complain either had issues before exacerbated by the update and /or should learn to do a factory reset before complaining. Updated several devices to lollipop and no issues that couldn't be fixed with a reinstall of the occasional app or reset. Same thing when KK came out, Gingerbread, etc

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion in most cases those that complain either had issues before exacerbated by the update and /or should learn to do a factory reset before complaining. Updated several devices to lollipop and no issues that couldn't be fixed with a reinstall of the occasional app or reset. Same thing when KK came out, Gingerbread, etc

Seems like a cop out answer.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

The problem was with Android 5.01 due to a memory leak, and as mentioned factory reset makes it run much better.
The G4 ships globally with 5.1 - so none of those issues.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Interesting, I didn't know this! I bought the black from AT&T as a placeholder until I can get my hands on the red (or brown..it's growing on me)

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I didn't know this! I bought the black from AT&T as a placeholder until I can get my hands on the red (or brown..it's growing on me)

I've only seen the one seller on eBay with the leather backs but hopefully more will show after the official launch.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ouch, thats too bad. So far mine seems on par with my G3. Anything different or all the same routine?