Anyone having auto focus issues when the subject is moving?

Eternal 28

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I've been pretty impressed with the G4 camera but when I'm trying to take pictures of my one year old the pictures tend to look fuzzy. If the subject is standing still than the G4 does an awesome job but You know how one year olds are..They move a lot. I've used my iPhone 6 side to side with the G4 and the subject is more in focus on the iPhone 6 compared to the G4. Can you guys test some moving subjects and see if your G4 can get a good shot in focus?

Thanks

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I took some test shots as I was walking along the street earlier, with people walking ahead of me, to see what the camera would make of it. So, I was moving, the camera was not being held at all steady, and the subjects were moving....a real test of an auto camera and unreasonable to expect good results. Nevertheless, some were sharp. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the subject is fast (and one year olds are) and close and moving toward and away from you, very few cameras will work well with auofocus, because it takes time for the camera to focus, and your one year old moves faster than the camera.

Turn off autofocus. Get far enough way from him/her that the lens can hold sharp focus from the nearest the child will get to the farthest. (Use a depth of field chart for this. Search for them, then print one that you like - they'll all have the same numbers, but maybe you like the way one is laid out better than another one.) The more light, the smaller the lens opening will usually be, so the larger the distance the lens will maintain focus.) Then focus on something about halfway between the two.

Phone cameras don't work any differently than plain old cameras, digital or film. Lenses are still lenses and light is still light. Lenses still focus light the same way they did back when Matthew Brady was taking pictures of the Civil War.