Google Fit causing massive idle drain

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I was having a bad idle battery drain on my phone overnight. I tried a factory data reset, but it didn't make much difference. Tried to uninstall various things and it didn't really help. Finally decided to do a factory data reset and not install Google fit or google photos. I do not believe that Google photos is the culprit. Battery drain greatly reduced afterwards.

With Google fit
uploadfromtaptalk1434862838916.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434862848857.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434862857942.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434862877250.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434862884939.jpg

Without Google fit

uploadfromtaptalk1434862907499.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434862914815.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434862929088.jpg

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for sharing your detailed findings. Google Fit has long been suspected of being a battery eater. I have it disabled on all my Androids.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for sharing your detailed findings. Google Fit has long been suspected of being a battery eater. I have it disabled on all my Androids.

Posted via the Android Central App
It is unfortunate. While not a must it was a nice addition especially with Android wear. And it worked fine on my note 4 and s6e.

Btw I enabled Google photos last night and didn't notice a drain overnight either.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
It is unfortunate. While not a must it was a nice addition especially with Android wear. And it worked fine on my note 4 and s6e.

Btw I enabled Google photos last night and didn't notice a drain overnight either.

I quit using Photos a while back but it seemed like the biggest issue was when it got stuck or the sync would fail then it would run forever. When it was working fine, I never noticed any major issues with it either.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I quit using Photos a while back but it seemed like the biggest issue was when it got stuck or the sync would fail then it would run forever. When it was working fine, I never noticed any major issues with it either.
I have it set to only backup when charging , so hopefully it won't be an issue for me.

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I have both of these apps installed and I have great battery life, imo. I have the sprint variant. Photos is set to back up over WiFi or LTE.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Biggest difference between the two, is that on the first set "with Google Fit", your gsm radio (phone radio) used 92% of the battery usage during the 7 hours, by far the largest consumption of the battery.
On your second set the gsm radio used only 11% with the screen using 25%.
Looks like to me, on your first set you were either using the phone (for calls) a ton, or had a crappy signal and the radio was constantly trying to get a better signal (tower)

Fred

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Biggest difference between the two, is that on the first set "with Google Fit", your gsm radio (phone radio) used 92% of the battery usage during the 7 hours, by far the largest consumption of the battery.
On your second set the gsm radio used only 11% with the screen using 25%.
Looks like to me, on your first set you were either using the phone (for calls) a ton, or had a crappy signal and the radio was constantly trying to get a better signal (tower)

Fred

Yep, in the first set that 7% of the battery is really 7% of 24% usage or a total of 1.68% of your battery. I doubt that Google Fit is the issue here (at least the battery stats don't support it in this circumstance).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep, in the first set that 7% of the battery is really 7% of 24% usage or a total of 1.68% of your battery. I doubt that Google Fit is the issue here (at least the battery stats don't support it in this circumstance).
No phone calls, and good phone signal. It is placed on the same spot in my bedroom both days.

I wouldn't trust the gsam percentages. They can be off sometimes.

Of course, if you don't have an idle issue then this won't help you. But if you did then it is something to consider.

Sent from my Asus Zenfone 2

rsbenedict

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I have google photos set to upload on wifi only (that's at home only and is sometimes on charger) and google fit is set up and syncing with my moto360. I get darned good battery life. My issues are using periscope (viewing) or tune-in radio. Both of those will eat the battery in a matter of minutes dropping at a rate > 2% per minute.

AlwaysSmile

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Same here, I uninstalled it and stop using it since it kept draining my battery since it wouldn't stop syncing for some odd reason and my battery would die hour after taking it off fr the charger!

Posted via the Android Central App on My T-Mobile LG G4