G4 hdr off/on comparisons

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Over on another thread I had commented how a certain photo would have benefited from using HDR On (for those unfamiliar, HDR essentially takes 3 quick shots at different exposures and then magically combines them), and thought I'd do some very quick comparison shots of different light situations using HDR off and on.

In all these photos:
  • the photo on the left is HDR off, and the right has HDR on.
  • in none of them did I click the screen to adjust the focus point or tell the camera which part of the shot to use as its exposure point.
  • sorry they're so small... it wasn't till I'd added them to the post that I realized just how darned small they all are. Here's a link to the dropbox folder containing all the photos in full-res: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bit6qaof74kljfi/AAAr8WSLB09lc232IQXAOrV3a?dl=0

#1: the working harbour -- notice how the HDR on managed to show some of the tree and cement wall details, as well as make the sky a deeper shade of blue.

hdr-compare-1.jpg

#2: the power box -- the HDR off actually did a better job, I feel, because the lighting situation didn't really call for HDR -- as a result, the already present contrast tended to "even out" too much.

hdr-compare-2.jpg

#3: the cement towers -- the HDR really helped the challenging situation in that you see a lot more of the tower and wall details.

hdr-compare-3.jpg

#4: the bush -- this one actually surprised me, in that without the HDR the camera wanted to give me too much of the shadowed parts of the greenery, and with HDR on I was able to get nice colour from all parts of the greenery.

hdr-compare-4.jpg

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
One more comparison:
* the first one is with hdr on, but letting the camera choosing the exposure point,
* the second one is also hdr on, but I tapped on the flowers so that they are the exposure point

Attachments

• 1436655625942.jpg
    1436655625942.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22