Auto Brightness

benchph

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Is it just me or there's something wrong the G4's auto brightness logic.

On my way home the train passes by some tunnels which is totally dark.

What I noticed is when it detects light, screen brightness increases and when light is absent screen dims. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Especially when it's dark I would want a brighter screen not a dimmed one.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

iresq

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It's working correctly. The brighter the ambient light the brighter the screen has to be to much overcome the ambient light.

Large discrepancies between the two while cause eye strain. Go into a dark room and increase brightness to 100, you'll see (so to speak).

G4

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What I noticed is when it detects light, screen brightness increases and when light is absent screen dims. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Your logic would be correct for e-ink like the kindle paper white. It dims the LED lights when it was day time and brighten it at dark so you could read. But like iresq said, the smartphone's screen is fighting against the ambient light.

Stryyker

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Just install Lux Dash (preference the paid one, the free one i got lots bugs and errors)

That app is amazing and replaces the lg stock auto bright, which is very very bad comparing to other phones o_O he simple turns off and on the auto bright to much even on high light. i Didn't like it. With Lux Dash you can set the auto % you want, and is way better. Enjoy!

benchph

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
For high lux I agree screen must be bright to prevent it from being " washed" out. Just prefer the screen to be bright when ambient light is low.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
For high lux I agree screen must be bright to prevent it from being " washed" out. Just prefer the screen to be bright when ambient light is low.

With lux you can essentially train it to behave how you like it… very cool.

Doohickie

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Is it just me or there's something wrong the G4's auto brightness logic.

On my way home the train passes by some tunnels which is totally dark.

Yep that's what mine does too. It works perfectly and I see the phone fine.