Clear all apps to fix lag?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've found that doing a "clear all" on apps fixes the lag I've periodically been seeing on my ATT LG4. Is there a way to automatically clear all apps without having to do it manually? Phone works great whenever I "clear all" apps.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That's strange because whenever I've done that I haven't noticed any difference....not that I have lag. Perhaps it depends on what apps you're using and clearing.

Posted via the Android Central App

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I've found that doing a "clear all" on apps fixes the lag I've periodically been seeing on my ATT LG4. Is there a way to automatically clear all apps without having to do it manually? Phone works great whenever I "clear all" apps.

It's not a popular response, but I'm a firm believer in "clear all". It completely depends on what apps are running and how well they're written.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't use too many apps that aren't really mainstream but for whatever reason clear all works. By the way, just saw your old thread about this very same subject. For some reason it didn't come up in search for me. I'd still like a way to automatically "clear all" on a regular basis though.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't use too many apps that aren't really mainstream but for whatever reason clear all works. By the way, just saw your old thread about this very same subject. For some reason it didn't come up in search for me. I'd still like a way to automatically "clear all" on a regular basis though.

For a while I was in the habit of doing a clear all every time I locked my phone, but that was likely excessive and was using more battery power to clear & restart my common apps. But for lag and/or heat, both of which I've found can be helped by clearing (caveat: again, this completely depends on how well the apps are written!), I think just remembering to clear after a bout of heavy usage is a good idea. Ideally you'd figure out which app being cleared is causing the issue, but that's not always easy to diagnose, as it may be a particular routine in particular app that is at fault.

(By the way, for those who say that clearing doesn't do anything that the phone wouldn't do on its own... do you use the AC Forums app? Have you ever experienced the occasional never-ending "loading" message? Doing a clear will force the app to restart, and fixes the issue. Given that logic, is it not possible that there are apps that keep running excessively or otherwise "clog up" the phone? In an ideal world, the answer would be No, and you should just let the phone clear things up as needed.)

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with sswitzer...it can't hurt to clear the apps periodically. You can also use an app like 'Advanced Task Killer' to do it automatically but there is a lot of set up time involved as you have to decide what apps you want it to kill every time you lock your phone. It can also mess with widgets and such. I prefer to use "Clear Apps" once or twice a day depending on how heavy I use my phone. I'd say I am a moderate user and I am ending my days with 40%-50% and that is a 5am - 10pm day! I have nothing to complain about right meow...that's for sure!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Obviously, the conventional wisdom is that modern Android does this so well for us that overriding what happens automatically is counterproductive.

Allowing for a moment that modern Android is all it's cracked up to be (obviously it's not), even if that were the case, there are some apps I use only occasionally. I've always felt that clearing them, and clearing their caches in a lot of cases, was beneficial. Why use storage and RAM resources on an app I use, say, once a week, or a couple of times a month?

Also, I've found with the G4 (and I don't know if this is the G4 or Lollipop) that finding rogue apps is even more difficult than before. It seems you often have to deduce more than in the past. It's never been clear as day (unless you had a rooted phone and wakelocks available, perhaps), but more muddy now.

Just some stream of consciousness rambling.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon but I did a factory reset 4 days ago and the phone is running much better... Keeping my fingers crossed... :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Anthony