G4 has the best photo quality out of all 2015 phones?

crunchor

Banned
May 18, 2014
Visit site
I will get a new phone within next few months, and photo quality is mu first concern. G4 is the best choice now?

Posted via the Android Central App

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I will get a new phone within next few months, and photo quality is mu first concern. G4 is the best choice now?

I own both the LG G4 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Got both within the last month and half.

IMHO, both have excellent rear cameras. If I have to score them, based on my extensive camera usage over the last month, I probably give 93 to the G4... and 95 to the Note 5. Like I said, too close to call... each has its good and bad. But both are better than *any* 2015 smartphones.

crunchor

Banned
May 18, 2014
Visit site
Thx for sharing. For my local price, g4 grey market no warranty kind is just around $368 US dollars, so very similar photo quality would mean the best if price is a concern.

I also consider one plus 2, dont know if the photo quality would be much worse. One plus two price is around g4 grey market price but one plus two has warranty.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I doubt that there are any substantially better Android phone cameras than that of G4 at the present time, but there may be some that are very close, such as the Note 5 mentioned by badkitties. You could buy the G4 safe in the knowledge that you could not have bought better, or at least not much better.
Of course, 'better' is not a simple term to define with cameras....there are so many factors to consider, objective and subjective.

crunchor

Banned
May 18, 2014
Visit site
I doubt that there are any substantially better Android phone cameras than that of G4 at the present time, but there may be some that are very close, such as the Note 5 mentioned by badkitties. You could buy the G4 safe in the knowledge that you could not have bought better, or at least not much better.
Of course, 'better' is not a simple term to define with cameras....there are so many factors to consider, objective and subjective.

V10 camera is same as g4?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Taking pictures in dimly lit areas is where the LG G4 truly shines. If I were to take the same photo at the same time using my LG G4 and Droid Turbo, the G4 would be unmistakably better.

crunchor

Banned
May 18, 2014
Visit site
Taking pictures in dimly lit areas is where the LG G4 truly shines. If I were to take the same photo at the same time using my LG G4 and Droid Turbo, the G4 would be unmistakably better.

I think G4 only has two selling points: camera and stable LG framework

screen is not bad but not the best for sure

battery one of the worst now

the "leather" case, few people love it but more hate it. The "leather" is actually "stuff" made from plants, it should be called "plant plastic", which is extremely not durable, any nail touch can leave a very obvious scratch on it.

808 CPU is nothing closed to fastest cpu/gpu now, just don't have the 810 heat problem.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The G4 is one of the top rated cameras on the market right now, so you can't go wrong with it. At that point, for me, it came down to other options. I wanted an LCD screen, removable battery, and sd card support. Out of the phones with top rated cameras, the G4 was the only one that ticked those other boxes as well.
V10 camera is same as g4?

From my understanding, it's the same hardware, but the V10 has some added software features like manual controls for video too. I was considering it, but I was able to combine several offers to get the G4 on Verizon for better than free. I'm pretty happy with it. Sure it doesn't have the latest and greatest processor, but it runs smooth with no notable lag, and that's what matters.

maduro78

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I stay away...a lot of phones ha e been crashing mine included had to get a replacement. Old phone used to get extremely hot. Android system used to murder my battery. Honestly out of all Android phones I've had this has been the worst

crunchor

Banned
May 18, 2014
Visit site
Here is a mobile photo ranking at the right side of the web page, very interesting:
DxOMark Mobile - DxOMark
I look at their camera ranking too, look professional.

The right bar scores are the photo+video score. Just count the photo score is this order:
Number one with 88 scores: Z5, S6 Edge
Number two with 86 score: G4, Nexus 6P
While Z5 and S6 are and will be much higher price than G4 while G4 price always drops much faster (basically all LG phones price drop super fast and fastest out of all famous brands), G4 will be a very good choice for lower price range.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

This exactly! In everyday shots I'd give the nod to the N5 but once you start figuring in low light shots the G4 shines. The camera is so customizable it allows you to get some great pics at night.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Here is a mobile photo ranking at the right side of the web page, very interesting:
DxOMark Mobile - DxOMark
I look at their camera ranking too, look professional.

One thing that was noted in the comments of their review article is the photos sampled were the default jpegs, which means some of the scoring is dependent on software processing. While editing RAW photos may be more than the average person cares to do, it can produce better photos than the default jpeg processing. It also gives the shooter more freedom to add their own personal touch to photos. I never messed with RAW photos until I got the G4 and have quickly come to enjoy it, using the Snapseed app since there's no stock RAW editing app. I've posted some pics recently in the pictures sticky thread comparing the default jpeg to a RAW edit from the same exposure.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
One thing that was noted in the comments of their review article is the photos sampled were the default jpegs, which means some of the scoring is dependent on software processing. While editing RAW photos may be more than the average person cares to do, it can produce better photos than the default jpeg processing. It also gives the shooter more freedom to add their own personal touch to photos. I never messed with RAW photos until I got the G4 and have quickly come to enjoy it, using the Snapseed app since there's no stock RAW editing app. I've posted some pics recently in the pictures sticky thread comparing the default jpeg to a RAW edit from the same exposure.

I've only messed around with RAW very briefly. That was over the summer and with desktop software. I already use Snapseed on my phone, and knew that it had added RAW support, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out.

How is the ease of use for editing that way? Are there any sort of "auto-correct" selections (and if so are they any good)?

I'm asking because I assume that the editing options are different in Snapseed with RAW than they are with JPEG. That's how the expereince was on the desktop, anyway.

Thanks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see any auto edit options in Snapseed, but the editing options in the Development Tools section when opening a RAW photo are fairly straight forward and easy to use. I haven't used any desktop software, but I'm guessing it's not going to be near as advanced as a full blown program like Lightroom. Still, it's quite a bit better than the default jpegs while being easy to use.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know which one has better video picture quality when shooting in UHD mode(3860x2160)

I haven't really had a chance to compare my G4 and Note 5 side-by-side when shooting in UHD video.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really compared video modes, but I did find that the OIS creates a ton of jello in G4 videos when moving the phone. I downloaded the Cinema 4K app to use in those situations because it has an option to disable OIS in videos. It made a world of difference.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I think G4 only has two selling points: camera and stable LG framework

screen is not bad but not the best for sure

battery one of the worst now

the "leather" case, few people love it but more hate it. The "leather" is actually "stuff" made from plants, it should be called "plant plastic", which is extremely not durable, any nail touch can leave a very obvious scratch on it.

808 CPU is nothing closed to fastest cpu/gpu now, just don't have the 810 heat problem.
Plants? That can't be farther from the truth. Either you like it or don't but it is leather.

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87