LG G4 - Unfortunately, phone / messaging has stopped working! INCOMING CALLS and MESSAGES. What can I do?

A

AC Question

LG G4 - Unfortunately, phone / messaging has stopped working! INCOMING CALLS and MESSAGES

Hi,

I have got a few months old LG G4 and recently I have been having intermittent issues with incoming calls and messages. The error message reads - "Unfortunately, phone has stopped working" in the case of an incoming call or "Unfortunately, messaging has stopped working" in the case of an incoming text message.

If the phone is locked the message doesn't even appear it goes straight to voicemail.

Outgoing calls / messaging is fine.

I have tried deleting cache / data and also done a master reset, nothing has worked so far. I wonder if anyone else has had the same issue and managed to resolve it? EE (UK) are not being helpful, they don't seem to have a solution on their script!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Paren

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG G4 - Unfortunately, phone / messaging has stopped working! INCOMING CALLS and MESSAGES

Welcome to Android Central! Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21962

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

Paren Tanna

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi P Diddy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it in safe mode and the problem persisted so that points to a Hardware / Firmware issue like you said.

One more question, do you think it could be network / sim card related?

Thanks,

Paren

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't expect a bad SIM card to cause the Phone or Messaging apps to force close, but it should be relatively easy to try a new SIM card--ask your carrier about it.

Steve Massart

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: LG G4 - Unfortunately, phone / messaging has stopped working! INCOMING CALLS and MESSAGES

Hi Paren,

I thought I've been going crazy and the only one with the problem, I've been having exactly the same issue, only recently too.

If the screen is on, I get the error, and as soon as you click OK, it cancels the call. If the screens is off, it goes straight to voicemail. This applies to calls, outgoing is fine. With text messages however, I've not been having the error message, but I will get text messages from friend A but it will show up in friend B's message thread, and when I try and reply, it goes to friend B instead of A - really weird.

I too have tried deleting cache/data and factory reset my phone twice, nothing works. What I have been able to work out is as follows.

It appears to be linked to my Contacts list, specifically Google contacts. When I clear my Contact cache/data, and dont sync it, I can get a call fine from someone's number (i.e. my wife) who's been crashing my phone. When I sync the contacts however, it crashes immediately with the message above.

What I've managed to find out tonight, is that it seems to be linked to favourites, as it crashes when my anyone on that list calls me too. I have disabled all 4 favourites in my Contacts, and now I can receive calls my wife, with no error message. My texts however are still all messed up.

I too have been thinking about contacting EE, but I was guessing they'd be useless as you said. I have been thinking about getting hold of LG support, but I suspect they may not know of the issue either, still tempted to try though. I think somehow the issue is from Google itself, though I'm not sure about how this would be remedied.

If you could check if this solves your problem, let me know, as I would like to know who's responsible and if we can track down what's going on here!

Thanks
Steve

Steve Massart

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

Hi,

Think I might have figured it out. Do you use Google Messenger app, instead of the default LG text message software?

I uninstalled this, and re-installed it, and the problem seems to have gone, I can receive calls and the text message issue is no longer problem. Favourites are fixed too.

Hope this helps
Steve

Paren Tanna

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Thank you for getting back to me with a fix. I removed all the favourites and the calls are coming in now.

As far as the messaging goes since i have had the issue with the LG messaging app closing i installed the google messaging app and that has fixed the incoming texts as well.

Just one question, did you uninstall the LG messaging app or the Google Messenger? If it was the LG one how did you do this?

Thanks again for all your help. I am sure this will help others who are perhaps suffering in silence.

Star man!!

Paren

Steve Massart

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi Paren,

No I un-installed the Google messenger app, not the LG one.

Still having issues with the phone, so just keeping those favourites un-ticked, seems to be working.

Steve

Last edited:

david piekuss

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

I had the same problem and I found a fix that worked for me.
Here's how I got it work
Copy contacts to SIM
Untick contacts syn in Google account
Wipe contacts storage
Master reset phone but don't instal back up do as a fresh instal
Once phone is back up and running write down all your contacts ( I only had 49 so wasn't too bad )
Once all contacts have been written down delete them all from your SIM card. Just keep finger on contact and press delete
Once all deleted add them back again as new contacts and your starred contacts should work in priority mode , mine did this morning and tested it out last night. Don't know why or how it how it happend but it works again.
Get any problems I'll try and help if I can

Posted via the Android Central App

Annelou82

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

Steve thankyou so much i have been trying everything! Removed the favourites and its working a treat 😀