CHROME-cant merge tabs and apps anymore

Caleb Loschiavo

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Last night Google Chrome updated itself, and when I went to launch and browse the interwebs,after I opened a few tabs and pressed my recent apps button, only one tab showed and it said "chrome" so I thought "oh maybe it reset itself, whatever I'll set it to merge again" but when I checked settings, the option to merge tabs and apps is completely gone. This sucks. I hope this is just a glitch that will be fixed in a previous update, but I want to hear it from other g4 owners. Is this happening to you? Sound off in the comments, I'd like to know.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Merge Tabs & Apps feature was removed completely from Chrome in this latest update. I guess it wasn't a popular feature. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of it either, and it seemed to cause confusion for quite a few people.

QWKSNKE

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Yeah this update blows. Keeps opening my last visited page and I hate how the tabs work now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah this update blows. Keeps opening my last visited page and I hate how the tabs work now.

Chrome has always done that for me (i.e., opening to the last visited page). Are you using the Samsungified Chrome that includes a Homepage button?

QWKSNKE

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
No. I have a Nexus 6. Until yesterday's update, every time I opened chrome it went to my home page. Now it goes to the last page viewed

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
No. I have a Nexus 6. Until yesterday's update, every time I opened chrome it went to my home page. Now it goes to the last page viewed

As B.Diddy said, setting a Chrome home page was limited to very few devices, mostly Samsung, and usually opened the last page you used. Are you using the standard Chrome shortcut or an icon that you created for an specific page? You could try creating a new shortcut for that web page from Chrome settings and see if it works.

fellow21

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Experiencing the exact same thing. Standard chrome shortcut and it previously always opened to the google search engine. Extremely aggravating to return to the webpage that I literally just closed for a reason.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The help topics show how to change the home page setting on the desktop version, but not on Android that I've seen. Maybe try logging into Chrome from a computer, make the change, then see if that syncs to the Android version?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen it on any of my devices (Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, ASUS Zenfone 2, Honor 5X). :'(

Caleb Loschiavo

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I figured out how to get it back. In the lg g4 it's a built in app, so just go to apps, chrome, and uninstall. It will reinstall the version of chrome that was stock. Options back! Boom.