"Google lock" prevents phone from being reset?

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I am looking at a G4 that the seller says is "Google locked" and is selling it for parts. I've never heard of this and asked him if it prevents a factory reset, his response:
"That's right. Google account locked. Can't get passed setup."

Usually a factory reset brings it to the point of asking for an existing or creating a Google account. Has anyone heard of this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like Google's Factory Reset Protection. If the phone is factory reset in an unauthorized manner (i.e., without first removing the Google account), then you have to enter that Google account's name and password after the factory reset is finished, and before you can enter the Setup Wizard.

There's a good chance that item is stolen, or was just "found" somewhere. Don't buy it, and consider reporting the seller anonymously to the authorities.

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like Google's Factory Reset Protection. If the phone is factory reset in an unauthorized manner (i.e., without first removing the Google account), then you have to enter that Google account's name and password after the factory reset is finished, and before you can enter the Setup Wizard.

There's a good chance that item is stolen, or was just "found" somewhere. Don't buy it, and consider reporting the seller anonymously to the authorities.
Well, it's on fleaBay. I'd hate to ruin a legit auction if it's just a matter of someone getting a phone in trade for something else and screwing up when trying to wipe it clean. I would not have known to delete the old Google account before trying a factory reset, so it's entirely possible for someone else to mess up as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's true. In any case, I'd still avoid buying it. If it did turn out to be stolen, and if somehow the authorities traced the device to you, it might be a hassle.

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
That's true. In any case, I'd still avoid buying it. If it did turn out to be stolen, and if somehow the authorities traced the device to you, it might be a hassle.
Yeah, I'm skipping that one. There are a couple others I have my eye on. Hopefully the problems with the G4 won't manifest themselves and make me regret selling my G3 to my son...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87