LG g5 stock audio specs!?!

best buy suuuucks

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I've been reading that the v10 came with 32 bit DAC and sabre amp stock.... G5 does have aptxhd which is 24 bit via Bluetooth. I understand the b&o module and all that. Just wondering what is actually coming inside the device stock!?!?

Has anyone had any luck in finding this out!? I can't find detailed specs anywhere!?!

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's not that great over headphones but with the B&O amp it will probably be HTC m8/ZTE axon worthy and supposedly will work with all audio services on the phone. The v10 just works with the stock music app. We'll have to wait and see since the module isn't even FCC approved yet. If it isn't out in a month I'll be pretty pissed since LG can't even launch the accessories with the phone. ...so stupid

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's not that great over headphones but with the B&O amp it will probably be HTC m8/ZTE axon worthy and supposedly will work with all audio services on the phone. The v10 just works with the stock music app. We'll have to wait and see since the module isn't even FCC approved yet. If it isn't out in a month I'll be pretty pissed since LG can't even launch the accessories with the phone. ...so stupid

Just a clarification, the statement in bold is NOT true. It is true for the V10 out of the box. However, there is a utility named DAC Fix in the Play Store that allows the ESS DAC and amp to work with any wired source. And, reports are that MM has fixed the issue without the need for DAC Fix. No root required. I use PowerAmp with my V10 all the time and it sounds GREAT!

best buy suuuucks

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
The more I investigate my own handset... the more I'm finding out so much of what's been said so far about the G5 is either a she said/he said type of thing... or just blatant bias!!!

Ive had a chance to plug in some factory issued earbuds that were in the box with my wife's galaxy s6 edge. Now for sure, these are super low quality.... with that being said... I don't know who could need more volume!?!? I thought I'd read in a review somewhere the G5 was ridiculously weak in the headphones output!?!? Completely bs... I have a $10,000 theater in my home... Crown amps for each individual channel, 200lbs worth of Power sound audio subwoofers... ect. Point being I know what good loud undistorted sound is...

A g5 with stock Sammy earbuds gets louder than I can stand it... Easily listening to Spotify with less than half volume ... full sound.. decently clear, even a little bass...

I'll say it's got decent enough sound so far... that I'm heading to grab some Shure E215's tomorrow/Monday at the latest to do a serious sound check.

Best buy did give me $100 off the $199 2 year extension price. I think I'll treat myself to the headphones on them!!!!

Super happy that the more I dig into the phone... the more I feel I should encourage anyone who's on the fence to go grab one!!! You always have 14 days to decide you hate it!?!?!.... I have the feeling if you let other peoples negativity get to you... you may end up wiiiishing you hadn't missed out!!!!!

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The more I investigate my own handset... the more I'm finding out so much of what's been said so far about the G5 is either a she said/he said type of thing... or just blatant bias!!!

Ive had a chance to plug in some factory issued earbuds that were in the box with my wife's galaxy s6 edge. Now for sure, these are super low quality.... with that being said... I don't know who could need more volume!?!? I thought I'd read in a review somewhere the G5 was ridiculously weak in the headphones output!?!? Completely bs... I have a $10,000 theater in my home... Crown amps for each individual channel, 200lbs worth of Power sound audio subwoofers... ect. Point being I know what good loud undistorted sound is...

A g5 with stock Sammy earbuds gets louder than I can stand it... Easily listening to Spotify with less than half volume ... full sound.. decently clear, even a little bass...

I'll say it's got decent enough sound so far... that I'm heading to grab some Shure E215's tomorrow/Monday at the latest to do a serious sound check.

Best buy did give me $100 off the $199 2 year extension price. I think I'll treat myself to the headphones on them!!!!

Super happy that the more I dig into the phone... the more I feel I should encourage anyone who's on the fence to go grab one!!! You always have 14 days to decide you hate it!?!?!.... I have the feeling if you let other peoples negativity get to you... you may end up wiiiishing you hadn't missed out!!!!!

I have been playing with the stock G5 sound as well. So far I have tried the audio with the Sennheiser HD598s & CX500s...you can definitely tell how much of a difference Dolby Digital plus brings to the table with the built-in Qualcomm DAC. Unlike some other android devices with Dolby out there, they completely fleshed out the codec to work with the entire phone's audio output, you won't even notice the codec unless you recognize the signature sound. It really brings new life to some audio tracks, and now that same quality comes to all your apps. I love it. I still have my old V10 to play with, and the stock sound on the G5 is better.

But hey guess what?...It's not over yet, I'm excited to see how much of an improvement they bring with the Bang & Olfson module next week.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

You're using low impedance, highly sensitive earphones designed specifically for smartphone use, of course they get really loud. The real test would be higher impedance, less sensitive headphones. Harder to drive headphones are what benefit from a more powerful amp.

best buy suuuucks

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Irvine752,

I'm happy to hear your ears are hearing some decent sound as well!! I was worried they had taken a fairly big step down from the V10(which got outstanding reviews)... Especially with the add on moduleI from B&O.If I didn't have my theater for a basis of comparison... I'd be a little bit more cautious to stick my neck out there...

Its definitely not anywhere near the clarity through the headphones that I get through Bluetooth and the theater. But I was hoping with some OK IEM's it should sound pretty good though!! Your post makes me feel it's worth the trip to the store!!!

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
You're using low impedance, highly sensitive earphones designed specifically for smartphone use, of course they get really loud. The real test would be higher impedance, less sensitive headphones. Harder to drive headphones are what benefit from a more powerful amp.

I'm sure when he gets back he can confirm it's just as loud with the Shure E215s....if the phone can drive the HD598s better than the V10, the E215s will be fairly simple to drive.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Irvine752,

I'm happy to hear your ears are hearing some decent sound as well!! I was worried they had taken a fairly big step down from the V10(which got outstanding reviews)... Especially with the add on moduleI from B&O.If I didn't have my theater for a basis of comparison... I'd be a little bit more cautious to stick my neck out there...

Its definitely not anywhere near the clarity through the headphones that I get through Bluetooth and the theater. But I was hoping with some OK IEM's it should sound pretty good though!! Your post makes me feel it's worth the trip to the store!!!

I would hold out on testing the bluetooth. Right now it's almost impossible to test for clarity since almost none of the bluetooth systems out there can support the aptXHD codec (which the phone offers). Even the non- HD version of aptX is hardly supported at the moment. I believe once the Harmon Kardons (HBS 1100) come out which offer this latest CSR technology, you can give us a full review. :)

best buy suuuucks

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I would hold out on testing the bluetooth. Right now it's almost impossible to test for clarity since almost none of the bluetooth systems out there can support the aptXHD codec (which the phone offers). Even the non- HD version of aptX is hardly supported at the moment. I believe once the Harmon Kardons (HBS 1100) come out which offer this latest CSR technology, you can give us a full review. :)

OK, super good call!! I hadn't even considered the receivers/pre amps not supporting the apt x and apt x HD technology!! Just did a brief search and just as you'd stated.. onkyo just got apt x certified toward the end of 2015!!!! So my 929 from 2014 doesn't have either!!!!... still can hear fingers sliding on strings, and tons of details via Bluetooth as is!!!!

goplutus

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure when he gets back he can confirm it's just as loud with the Shure E215s....if the phone can drive the HD598s better than the V10, the E215s will be fairly simple to drive.

I've been having issues with the G5 and the Sony MDR-7506 headphones (63 ohms impedance). Anyone had any luck with with mid to high impedance?

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been having issues with the G5 and the Sony MDR-7506 headphones (63 ohms impedance). Anyone had any luck with with mid to high impedance?

The HD598s are rated at 50 Ohm impedance, the quality was great but nothing to blow your ear drums away. This is where the Hi-fi module is intended to come into play. I would wait out for the module before spending any money on anything extra. Keep in mind almost all the earbuds out there are rated with low impedance. On the other hand, driving a full set of cans is a different story.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing with the stock G5 sound as well. So far I have tried the audio with the Sennheiser HD598s & CX500s...you can definitely tell how much of a difference Dolby Digital plus brings to the table with the built-in Qualcomm DAC. Unlike some other android devices with Dolby out there, they completely fleshed out the codec to work with the entire phone's audio output, you won't even notice the codec unless you recognize the signature sound. It really brings new life to some audio tracks, and now that same quality comes to all your apps. I love it. I still have my old V10 to play with, and the stock sound on the G5 is better.

But hey guess what?...It's not over yet, I'm excited to see how much of an improvement they bring with the Bang & Olfson module next week.

The B&O module is coming next week?

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
It's a bit of rumor at the moment, I spoke to a few LG reps out in LA & DC, and they were all expecting it a week later after the initial G5 release.

Anywhere I can research to find our iffff and when the b&o module comes to the US. Also, will it come with h3 headphones, or not!?

Originally it was advertised with them... but I've been seeing it recently with just the amp/DAC!?!

It's killing me because I really want to grab the Shure IEM's... but don't want to dump $100 on them now, and next week the module come out and bringing the h3's...

I went to local guitar center and they only the se215's in clear... I'm really wanting them in black. I'm also really wanting to hear some decent earphones through the LG g5..

Stuck.... Lol!!!

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Anywhere I can research to find our iffff and when the b&o module comes to the US. Also, will it come with h3 headphones, or not!?

Originally it was advertised with them... but I've been seeing it recently with just the amp/DAC!?!

It's killing me because I really want to grab the Shure IEM's... but don't want to dump $100 on them now, and next week the module come out and bringing the h3's...

I went to local guitar center and they only the se215's in clear... I'm really wanting them in black. I'm also really wanting to hear some decent earphones through the LG g5..

Stuck.... Lol!!!

haha....you're not the only person getting tired of the wait. Keep in mind, good things do come to those who wait. I haven't seen any reports as of yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for late this week. As for the headphones, it's hard to go wrong with either choice. You won't be dissapointed at all. Just make sure you look at the form factor for the ear plugins. You should stick to the ones that get you a proper tight seal. If that seal is not tight, your sounds quality drops significantly.

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
If I'm buying a set of IEM's.. It would be the Shure... if the H3's come along as a package with the module... Of course I'd wait and grab the combo!!!

I do like your comment on ... good things coming to those who wait. I've had the g2 all this time because I couldnt get any battery life out of the g3/g4 . I just don't get along with touch wiz, or the cartoon like colors.

I held out and couldn't be happier!! I guess as much as I'm not liking it, the end of the week doesn't sound like too long of a wait to see how it plays out!!?!?

Cheers to it showing up this week.... and it not being an arm, leg, and a lung to be able to pick one up!!!!

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
haha....you're not the only person getting tired of the wait. Keep in mind, good things do come to those who wait. I haven't seen any reports as of yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for late this week. As for the headphones, it's hard to go wrong with either choice. You won't be dissapointed at all. Just make sure you look at the form factor for the ear plugins. You should stick to the ones that get you a proper tight seal. If that seal is not tight, your sounds quality drops significantly.

I just found the DAC listed at the following link in the UK!! Says the expected release date for UK is April 8th!?

It doest show it with the headphones... it shows only the amp/ DAC...

Seeing this make me feel like I'm safe to order the Shure IEM's, and grab the b&o amp/dac whenever it becomes available.

https://m.clove.co.uk/lg-hi-fi-plus-with-bo-play

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty