Is the LG G5 an audio downgrade compared to V10?

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
re: Audio downgrade compared to V10?

Yes, it's a downgrade without the module, I'm assuming just the standard Snapdragon DAC, but that's why they have the module

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Audio downgrade compared to V10?

Yes, it's a downgrade without the module, I'm assuming just the standard Snapdragon DAC, but that's why they have the module

If true, total deal killer for me. Don't want to have to plug in a module at 6am at the gym. I'll stick with the V10.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Are the DACs in the snapdragon 808 and 820 chips very different in this regard?

Last edited:

Dazo

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

Excuse my obliviousness, but how much difference is it? I'm no audiophile, so I just listen to what I have. Sometimes the volume is lower in some songs than others, or more muffled, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this. I was a little confused as to how much of a difference the hifi module would actually make.
Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Excuse my obliviousness, but how much difference is it? I'm no audiophile, so I just listen to what I have. Sometimes the volume is lower in some songs than others, or more muffled, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this. I was a little confused as to how much of a difference the hifi module would actually make.
Thanks.
Fort he average consumer stick will likely be good enough. But for the audio folks, or those wanting a little more, the module will fit the bill. That's only if the price is right.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

Thanks.

If you have high quality headphones it makes a noticeable difference. I have the V10 and with the hifi audio enabled, it has better frequency response (the sound signature is pretty flat overall, nothing overemphasized, nothing missing), a wider soundstage and improved clarity. It also has the ability to power higher impedance headphones than smartphones can generally handle.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Once you get used to hifi audio like on the V 10 it's hard to go back. Paying extra and having to swap modules is silly.

Posted via the Android Central App

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

So what bit rate file is required to take advantage of the module, 128, 160 or what? How good a set of earphones is needed to hear the difference as well.

If most of my recordings are only at 128kbs and I use earbuds will I be able to tell?

Last edited:

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

So what bit rate file is required to take advantage of the module, 128, 160 or what? How good a set of earphones is needed to hear the difference as well.

If most of my recordings are only at 128kbs and I use earbuds will I be able to tell?

The danger with low bitrate files is that more detail will reveal the bad quality, so a more resolving DAC could actually hurt more than it helps with bitrates as low as 128kbps. At the very least you'd want high bitrate MP3s and good quality headphones to make it worth it

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

It is not a downgrade, the V series is a different line so you would compare it to a G4 not the V10. That is like saying a S7 is a downgrade from the Note 5 because it doesn't have a stylus.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I respectfully disagree. LG obviously believes in 32 bit audio and so they expect people to pay extra for it in the G5 whereas folks that have the v10 get it standard. So from my perspective as a v10 owner the sound quality on the G5 is indeed a massive downgrade. I think this whole modular concept will fail.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I find it odd that LG doesn't list the B&O module on their advertisement teaser link on the front page of AC. They do talk about the camera module. I'm thinking it may be awhile before we see this audio plug-in module. Or, maybe it will be sold through B&O in which case be ready to pay some serious $$$.

jeffreames

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I think everyone is so used to mp3 that they wouldn't know quality audio if it bit them on the **** ! I have a B/ O turntable and know what the exceptional quality it is. Plug it in and leave the mod in.1/8 inch longer not a big to do. Bang and Olefsen on a phone ? Come on ppl.Çompressed music has killed great music. Kids today don't have a clue to what great audio sounds like.I wish they would add B/ O play to all phones to start with...but listen to lowly mp3 if that blows your skirt !!!

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Once again this thread proves just how thoroughly brainwashed people are by the cell phone, and in this case download-compressed music industry. Its not about do I need it or don't I need it.... can I hear it or can't I hear it? Its about having a CHOICE. The technology is here and readily available for everyone to HAVE THE CHOICE how they prefer to listen to their music. Devices like the G5 force you to pay more for that choice. While iphones, Samsungs, HTC...etc don't even give you the option. Beyond a doubt the G5 is a downgrade in choice/options.

OP if you have the V10 already and am happy with it, stay with it. The ESS DAC and ESS amp is better than the OEM one on the G5. How much better the B&O module really is in a blind A/B/X (without influence of ones eyes) remains to be seen... er heard. I wonder what chipset (DAC + amp) the B&O module uses? ESS has several 32 bit chips under their Sabre line.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Well industrial choices are based on focus groups. Whats the point of throwing in a hifi DAC when most people wont be able to notice difference between 24bit FLAC and a 320kbps mp3? LG is giving a pretty darn good choice of an add-on which can also be used by your pc or tablet or your apple product. This relentless bashing of LG need to stop.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Well industrial choices are based on focus groups. Whats the point of throwing in a hifi DAC when most people wont be able to notice difference between 24bit FLAC and a 320kbps mp3? LG is giving a pretty darn good choice of an add-on which can also be used by your pc or tablet or your apple product. This relentless bashing of LG need to stop.

But why be forced to pay a price for that choice when their own V10 includes the option of higher res audio standard?

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Once again this thread proves just how thoroughly brainwashed people are by the cell phone, and in this case download-compressed music industry. Its not about do I need it or don't I need it.... can I hear it or can't I hear it? Its about having a CHOICE. The technology is here and readily available for everyone to HAVE THE CHOICE how they prefer to listen to their music. Devices like the G5 force you to pay more for that choice. While iphones, Samsungs, HTC...etc don't even give you the option. Beyond a doubt the G5 is a downgrade in choice/options.

OP if you have the V10 already and am happy with it, stay with it. The ESS DAC and ESS amp is better than the OEM one on the G5. How much better the B&O module really is in a blind A/B/X (without influence of ones eyes) remains to be seen... er heard. I wonder what chipset (DAC + amp) the B&O module uses? ESS has several 32 bit chips under their Sabre line.

ES9028C2M DAC and Sabre9602c amp. So, same amp as the V10, but a newer DAC. It could be a small improvement, doubt it would be big, and implementation matters too, so it's even possible it could sound worst (probably not though)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes it's a downgrade. But unless you're listening to uncompressed, high bit-rate files through very good headphones, in a quiet environment, I doubt the difference will be noticeable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armydudeJC