Coming from an S7 edge to the LG G5

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
For the past week, I've been using the LG G5, which I bought after selling my S7 edge. Although I can find more faults in the G5, I prefer it - here's why.

When both phones were released, I was really excited about the G5, the idea of a modular phone was exciting - even if it was just to remove and swap out the battery, but I've always been a Samsung guy, so the S7 edge seemed like a safer bet. Based on all the reviews I've read and all the hands-on videos I've watched, it seemed like I made the right decision, that was until I had a shot at playing with the G5.

Overall design

The G5, to me, feels much better in the hand than the S7 edge - it's easier to hold and I can more or less complete any task one handed. I also don't need to worry about finger smudges. I've read quite a lot of complains about quality control on the G5, thankfully this didn't impact me - my phone is flawless with no dents or chips. I wen't with the Titan colour, which looks awesome.

Software

Touchwiz was a joy to use, so much so that I didn't feel the need to install a 3rd party launcher, with the G5 I instantly installed Action Launcher 3 as I needed an app drawer (my brain doesn't work without one) I've also replaced the stock LG keyboard, which wasn't good. With the S7 edge I didn't feel the need to change the keyboard. These are all minor things to me though, as much as I enjoy my phone working out of the box perfectly - I'm still going to install a launcher eventually.

As for lag, there was none on my S7 edge and there isn't any on my G5 - if I had to choose, which one was faster, I would say the G5 feels more snappier.

Battery life

I couldn't fault the S7 edge battery, it was excellent. I didn't need to worry about charging it through the day. I can also say the same for the G5 - considering this battery is much smaller, it still manages to last me throughout the day, with about 30% left before I charge it overnight. Obviously the S7e battery is better, but for what I use my phone for, the G5 is more than capable.

In the morning, I usually remove my phone from the charger about 6 am (my 6 month old Son is my alarm) I don't tend to use my phone until I get to work about 8:30 am. The G5 has amazing standby. So far, after having the phone for just over a week, I've removed my phone each time around about 6 am and by 8 am I'm still at 100% battery life - this wasn't possible with the S7 edge.

Camera

Both cameras are brilliant;

1) I miss the double tap of the home button to launch the camera, I just can't get used to the double tap of the volume rocker.
2) I miss the instant focus that the S7 edge had.

These two features are very much missed, but what the S7 edge camera doesn't have that the G5 does is a brilliant wide angel camera. This is such a brilliant feature. One I didn't think I would as much. So much so that my next phone needs to have this feature.

Conclusion

I honestly couldn't fault the S7 edge - the battery life was excellent, the camera was great, the screen, as always, was bright and vibrant and Touchwiz good. I had the S6 edge for the best part of 2015, the S7 edge improved in all the failed areas, but after almost a month of using it, I got bored. The G5 is a breath of fresh air, it has a decent build quality, an excellent camera, excellent battery life and excellent screen. I don't care too much for the UI of LG, but that's easily changed. I'm also happy to be supporting a phone that dares to do something different, sure the modular part of the phone seems rushed, but I'm hoping, that in time, more developers jump on board to support this great idea.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm also coming from the S6 Edge and am loving my G5.

The battery life is very good and my free battery is coming today. I am looking forward to swap batteries when traveling and camping.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm also coming from the S6 Edge and am loving my G5.

The battery life is very good and my free battery is coming today. I am looking forward to swap batteries when traveling and camping.

Yeah the free battery is a good thing to have, here in the UK we don't get the free battery unfortunately, but I do get the free cam plus module so I can't complain :)

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Totally agree with the handling. We have the s7 edge and the g5. The s7e is like a slippery eel in the hand while the g5 just rests comfortably. The s7e feels more premium but function is better than form in this category.

Posted via the Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree with the handling. We have the s7 edge and the g5. The s7e is like a slippery eel in the hand while the g5 just rests comfortably. The s7e feels more premium but function is better than form in this category.

Totally agree, I prefer the S7 edge for the more premium feel, but as it's so slippery I had it in a case. With the G5 I'm going naked.

Cool Guy

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what I needed. Nice review and I appreciate the insight. I bought a S7 Edge and used it for a little but kept thinking to sell it and get the G5. My concern was really battery life. Thanks!

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly what I needed. Nice review and I appreciate the insight. I bought a S7 Edge and used it for a little but kept thinking to sell it and get the G5. My concern was really battery life. Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, the battery life on the S7 edge is way better than the G5, but considering it's a much smaller battery, so far I haven't managed to run it out of juice before I would normally charge my phones.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I actually considered moving to G5, today i'll go and test it, i have S7E and root is must have, something not all G5 will be getting, as seen by G4.

Not really convinced with the phone, but i love G3 and G4, i still think there is no phone that can top S7E, it's not perfect but it ticks all the right boxes.

SteveyAsp

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have both the S7 Edge and the G5 and love using them both.
It's nice to see good reviews from actual users after it's been slated so badly by so called mobile journalists/bloggers

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I actually considered moving to G5, today i'll go and test it, i have S7E and root is must have, something not all G5 will be getting, as seen by G4.

Not really convinced with the phone, but i love G3 and G4, i still think there is no phone that can top S7E, it's not perfect but it ticks all the right boxes.

I have the G5 but I may also look at the HTC 10

Cool Guy

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It's nice to see good reviews from actual users after it's been slated so badly by so called mobile journalists/bloggers

Both? Wow that would make my decision easier. I just wanted to have something different and really considering the G5.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I actually was in the store, there was annoying demo running and i needed every couple of seconds to hit back... anyway phone is actually attractive, on photos it looks bad, in reality it looks awesome and even more appealing than S7, the screen is good though i couldn't test really anything at the store, but it did catch my eye.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I actually was in the store, there was annoying demo running and i needed every couple of seconds to hit back... anyway phone is actually attractive, on photos it looks bad, in reality it looks awesome and even more appealing than S7, the screen is good though i couldn't test really anything at the store, but it did catch my eye.

I think the S7 especially in that shiny chrome looks hideous

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I honestly couldn't understand why the phone got so much hate in the reviews. I might be in the minority, but I think the phone looks amazing. I love the screen and the slight dipped curve at the top of the phone.

As for the modular part, I've taken my battery in and out twice as a demo to other people, I don't see myself using that part of the phone all that often, but it's handy to have.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I honestly couldn't understand why the phone got so much hate in the reviews. I might be in the minority, but I think the phone looks amazing. I love the screen and the slight dipped curve at the top of the phone.

As for the modular part, I've taken my battery in and out twice as a demo to other people, I don't see myself using that part of the phone all that often, but it's handy to have.

Agreed

A lot of people won't buy this or other phones that don't have wireless charging. I used to consider it a deal breaker but then came high speed charging. I have it up and I invested in two high end chargers. Some also worry about the charging port going bad. If it does, it's easy to repair or simply replace the module. You could also charge the battery outside of the phone as an interim measure.

Then there is that whole water resistant argument. Most people don't go around dropping their phones in the water. Sure it can happen especially if you hang around with people who push you into a pool or aren't very careful but again not a deal breaker. I say that despite actually being involved in an overturned boat incident where I was in the water for at least ten minutes waiting for rescue but I had insurance anyway at the time that covered my two day old phone.
I didn't buy insurance but I think I'll be OK.

Then there that whole LCD argument. Honestly the only light bleed I saw was in a dark room under test conditions with a black screen and full brightness. Also I can actually see the screen even in sunny conditions..... My old phone I couldn't.

There are other things I could get into but in the end it doesn't matter. We should buy what makes us happy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer