IR Blaster - Why so short of range?

David Agee

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
So the point of a remote is to be able to control something from a distance right? I don't know, maybe its just me but why have such an awesome feature with such limited capacity? I had an HTC that had an IR Blaster on it that had a range of about 25 - 30 ft. Could turn on the stereo and tv (for Chromecast) from the upstairs balcony or the outside patio. It was awesome. Maybe they just have tiny/efficient rooms in South Korea. Silly wasteful Americans with their large open rooms! :mad:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What's the range you're seeing with the G5? Remember, IR needs line of sight to work, so unless it can bounce off certain things, you need to be 'looking' at the IR receiver.

David Agee

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
SpookDroid my recliner is directly in front of my entertainment center so 15 ft. Even from the bed is 10 ft and have to sit up and reach out to get signal to receiver.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
SpookDroid my recliner is directly in front of my entertainment center so 15 ft. Even from the bed is 10 ft and have to sit up and reach out to get signal to receiver.

OK, that doesn't sound right. Is there anything blocking your IR blaster maybe? I can't recall using the G4 as a remote more than a couple times and it didn't fail on me from the couch (also about 15 feet away). I HAVE seen reports on the G3 forums that the blaster on that one was pretty weak, so maybe it's an LG thing?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Does LG have a diagnostic program, or maybe you can contact LG support about the issue?

jnbarth

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked the IR LED to see if a fuzz ball is blocking it? Top right next to the headphone jack.

Posted via the Android Central App

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The LG G5 definitely has pretty poor IR range. All the other phones I've used that had them (mostly Samsung Galaxy's) have been as good if not better than the TV original remote control. The G5 takes a bit of effort when controlling the TV, like having to go a little closer to the TV or making sure you're pointing it straight at the IR receiver on the TV. I don't use mine everyday and only if I can't find the TV remote etc so it doesn't bother me much but for anyone using it regularly then yeah it must be a pain

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Mine works pretty good. The angle is not as steep so you have to aim better than a stock remote.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's an LG thing.

I used the IR blaster on the HTC One M7, LG G3 and LG G4.

The M7's blaster is much stronger. I can control it at a distance without pointing the device directly at the other device being controlled. The G3 and G4, on the other hand, needed to be much closer with the blaster pointing directly at the device being controlled itself.

So, it's a bit on the weak side.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo