Nougat update draining battery?

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I received the Nougat update here in the UK 2 days ago after checking for updates via LG Bridge on the PC. But it hasn't turned out to be a joyous occasion. Whereas beforehand I would get through the day without needing to charge, I'm now finding the nattery drops quite dramatically even when not in use, and today went from a 100% charge to 39% in the space of 3 hours. If anyone has any tips on this I'd be most grateful

Update: As suggested I did try a factory reset, which I had already been considering, but it didn't help. The phone subsequently drained completely in under 3 hours. It was so bad that if I had any app open the battery would drain as I was watching it, even with the charger plugged in. But I did find since then that the problem appears to be one app I had installed - the Next Lock Screen. Upon removing this, the phone is back to normal.

Many thanks to those who responded.

Last edited:

washburn_it

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I've upgraded to Nougat today and in over 11h it lost 6% from full charge.
Have you considered to "hard-reset" the phone?
I didn't need to do an hard reset but often, when there are such big updates, the phone needs a "factory reset" to start from zero.
Regards,

Roberto

pbaumann

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
There seems to a problem with "Always-On Display".
I noticed that "Always-on Display" disabled, leads to extrem high battery drain when playing music...

Maybe you can use your lockscreen app without battery drain if "Always-On Display" is enabled?

Paul

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My battery took a hit as well after the update. Did a Factory reset and took about 3 days and now the battery has finally settled in.

gixxerjasen

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been seeing both charging issues and battery drainage since upgrading. Looking at my battery usage, it shows "Phone Idle" as the highest one, which is odd since it's usually screen. Phone idle is using 13% while screen is using only 8%.

Joshua Schlenk

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm going through 11 to 20 battery changes per day (2hours and 30 minutes at most)!! I hate nougat update and my G5 all together. Lg told me to do factory reset. Now I've lost texts and phone is still horrible and almost worthless. Great job LG for ruining a what was at first a good phone.

batkinson001

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
lg phones have a backup app that saves everything, good to use BEFORE resetting back to factory. It might take a couple of times before your phone settles down, it shouldn't be draining that fast.

I reset my phone after the update and so far things are the same, I sometimes have to charge my phone twice a day depending on usage (video kills battery), but usually get 6 hours or so moderate usage without battery saver on.

Also I am not sure if it makes difference, good or bad, but I am using nova launcher pro (with google launcher and lg launchers installed), with a few icon packs.

Last edited:

woofster

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I've been seeing both charging issues and battery drainage since upgrading. Looking at my battery usage, it shows "Phone Idle" as the highest one, which is odd since it's usually screen. Phone idle is using 13% while screen is using only 8%.

I posted in another LG G5 Nougat thread but my issues reflect the comments in this very thread as well.

Battery consumption/drain has been horrendous since the Marshmallow-Nougat update. Under battery usage, the top item is "Phone idle" at 16% followed by "Android System" at 14% then "Screen" at 6%. IMO, there is clearly something going on here that is not right. Glad to know I'm not the only one but it would be nice to figure out how to resolve this huge change to the usability of this phone.

pawwap

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
OK, Since you have mention the battery usage of LG G5, mine is the same.
So I need to double check if everyone has the same situation:

1. "Android System" battery usage, for example, it show 10%, then you go to "App" and check if "LG Backup" has the same battery usage? 10% or 9%?
2. you have a protection case original from LG.

if so... try not to use this protection case to cover the screen (leave the screen into the air).

do a fully charge..

then see what is new...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch