03-24-2017 08:19 AM
32 12
tools
    I updated to 7.0 on my LG g5 yesterday and now my battery drains way faster and my phone will not fast charge anymore. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    12-11-2016 10:57 AM
    Same problem. Already done two factory resets with clean installation and one battery calibration. Nothing changes. A huge battery drain by android system is reported in the battery consumption. When I use it for the simplest actions, battery drains super fast. I don't know what to do. The only thing I did not try is to clean systema cache (not the app cache), but I can't find a way to do that without rooting.
    12-11-2016 02:46 PM
    Same problem here. Can't seem to isolate the cause. Seems to have gotten better after multiple factory resets and reboots, but not back to normal.
    12-12-2016 09:02 AM
    Welcome all.

I'll request a thread move to the LG G5 forum, where other users may have suggestions.
    12-12-2016 09:10 AM
    Mod note. Thread moved to the LG G5 forum.
    12-12-2016 09:20 AM
    hmm, my wife's phone charges extremely fast now (except for not in EU right now), but when she's home in California it does, and her battery life has been tremendous.. it's interesting.

Have you guys tried a factory reset?
    12-15-2016 12:46 PM
    new updates normally always results in faster drains for the first few days, it will subside
    12-15-2016 08:49 PM
    Thank you for starting this thread.

I have tried all solutions suggested:

1. Reset all app preferences
    2. Clear app cache
    3. Reboot a few times

The battery analysis consistently says it's the Android OS eating away the battery.

I have observed that if I am on good wifi, with decent mobile network, the phone behaves. As soon as I go into a room with even slight poor network coverage, the phone goes hot in my pocket. At work, on a mobile network, unless I am next to a window with 5 bars of 4G, the phone goes hot and battery depletes.

I have never seen such a battery drain or phone getting hot before, no circumstances have changes except the Android 7 update. I have contacted LG but their web form was not taking my query yesterday. My phone is UK sim free.

My questions:

If I factory reset through the hard reset option, can I revert to Marshmallow, which I was happy with?

Many thanks.
    12-18-2016 07:05 AM
    after a few days of inconsistent battery life, my device has settled down and is showing significant improvement in day to day use
    12-18-2016 09:13 PM
    Okay folks...after some research I've found at least 2 culprits that should improve your battery life after upgrade to 7.0.

First NLPCollectorWakeLock seems to keep the device from sleeping as it should (Network Location Provider) due to a conflict with Wi-fi location scanning when using High Accuracy.
    1. Set your location to use GPS only

Also, if you have Lookout installed it has been known to suck battery life as well, so disable that and you should see an increase.

*** Good idea to reboot your device after you make these changes.

Hope this helps as it was driving me crazy too.
    12-19-2016 02:59 PM
    ok. I report my situation.

I did everything suggested, twice, complete with factory reset and reinstallation from lgup.
    Then, I installed all my usually used apps and then waited to see. I just gave permissions to the most important apps, and reduced synchronizations to minimum required.

Battery started to last very long and I thought the problem was solved some way. I could do 24h of battery use, with android system consumption being just 9% and with 4 to 5.30h of active screen.

Then, since two days, the issue magically came out again. Today, my phone has been active from 10:00 am and now it's already 33% with JUST 2h of active screen and 21% of android system drain. No big apps' drain from play store apps.

So, there must be something that works in background, something that can't be solved just by factory reset. It's something in the way Nougat works.

I think I will go back to MM.
    12-20-2016 09:11 AM
    Now that I notice, the LED has been working for a lot, even without any notification in emails and whatsapp or text. Maybe, this could be the cause of such a drain. Have you noticed it? And it does not depend on always on display
    12-20-2016 09:21 AM
    The response from LG was do a factory reset, and run the phone in safe mode. By running in safe mode, what should I check. I know it's the Android OS eating the battery? Thanks.
    12-22-2016 02:02 PM
    That's a ridiculous answer. Good grief.
    12-22-2016 02:04 PM
    Bluetooth on no matter if it is connected to a headset or not drains battery.
    12-23-2016 06:45 AM
    I removed the original LG folio case yesterday evening, and the battery seems to be happier at least on standby . I have not been out to test it in real world conditions. Cannot understand why the original folio case would play havoc with the battery, it worked fine on Marshmallow.
    12-23-2016 07:10 AM
    I've been getting absolutely nailed by the update since yesterday... and it hasn't slowed. Woke up, unplugged my phone, responded to my girlfriend. Stayed in bed without using my phone for 50 minutes and boom. 10% gone. It says it's Fast charging but it really isn't.... Anyone have any idea on how long it'll be before it's back to normal because this type of thing (new phone, expecting to be perfect) really annoys me when you can't go for 4 hours on it with minimal use....
    12-23-2016 12:41 PM
    I updated to 7.0 on my LG g5 yesterday and now my battery drains way faster and my phone will not fast charge anymore. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    The draining battery is the first thing I noticed. Why is it everytime there's an update the battery life is worst? This is the biggest problem I have with this remarkable phone. 4 hours on the phone and I'm down to 44% already whereas I could run 8 hours before and still be at 65%> Why why why? So frustrating.... I don't want to wipe my phone everytime i get a new update just to find out that the problem still exists! C'mon devs, we are in 2017 now.... Let's get this right!
    12-31-2016 05:53 PM
    In my first day or two the battery was fine (not as good as the Note 3 it replaced - that was a new battery though).

My problem has been the last two days where it drains just sitting there. It's drained 27% in 3 hours with me just replying every now and then on whatsapp.

Location was off, I have turned screen standby off etc and still the same.
    01-03-2017 09:52 AM
    Upgrated today and I was horrified. After uninstall Facebook and its Messenger my device have stoped work like heater and eat the batery life.
    01-10-2017 02:43 PM
    Upgrated today and I was horrified. After unnstall Facebook and its Messenger my device have stoped work like heater and eat the batery life.
    Battery life on nougat 7.0-screenshot_2017-01-10-17-21-30.jpg

Same here whats eating my battery is my facebook and messenger,what can i do?
    01-10-2017 06:08 PM
    Overall my battery life has been decent since the update. Today, I was at 50% at lunch time, even tho I hardly used the phone. Facebook and Messenger were the two highest culprits.
    01-10-2017 08:51 PM
    To "goonieboy2008" - First of all uninstall them, 'couse "Stop" is help for several minutes. From my experience with LG we need waiting for update of upgrade
    01-11-2017 01:17 AM
    Since i reset my phone yesterday morning all seems going perfect with battery life. Did a full charge around 4 pm est and now its 10:30 am est and my battery is still at 52%,and i have been using facebook,messenger,etc...
    01-12-2017 10:37 AM
    I had the problem since the first day I upgraded to Nougat.

I tried to keep the screen uncovered by the folio case, seems that everything is fine. thanks bro!

and when I just convered the screen with folio case. the battery started to drain.

I checked the battery usage, when the screen uncovered, the "android system" normally has 5-6% usage when battery has 25% or so left.
    when the folio covered the screen. the "android system" has 5% usage when battery has 85% left and the phone became hot.

and i found that "LG Backup" (in the app list of "android sysmtem") is the criminal, when the battery drains fast, the usage of "LG Backup" also goes up to more than 10%.

what is the relation between folio case cover and "LG Backup" App? WTF.

If someone has the same problem and noticed that "android system" takes up to more than 10% and has a orginal folio case. Please try to test with or without the folio case.
    01-23-2017 09:17 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD