Pulled the trigger

ChrisS9938

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting to swap to Android for a long time, but funds aren't great and mid-rangers in my price range really couldn't compete with my iPhone 6. However, Pocketnow found an Ebay seller qualitycellz that had the G5, new in the box, for $269.99 unlocked. I had looked closely at the G5 last year. The modularity was stupid, but overall it appeared to be a solid phone with the best hand feel and a great camera. All things equal, probably not my first choice. But for nearly 1/2 of what its selling at Verizon, at a low price for a mid-ranger, all things definitely are not equal. Ran the numbers, re-read some reviews, and decided if I was going to jump ship, this might be the best offer I get in a long time! It should be here May 17th. Looking forward to getting my hands on it and getting away from Apple!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My daughter had the G5 and it was a nice phone. The signal was weak in my area but that could be many things...

Hope you have good luck with your new phone ☺

Posted via the Android Central App

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry the modular isn't stupid as i got my LG G5 with the B&O DAC which still to this day is recognized as the best sounding phone out there with DAC installed thus making it a worthwhile accessory.

lever2000

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I read the reviews on the LG G5 as well and they weren't to good, but I decided to buy one anyway have had it for a month now and I really like it, best Phone Ive ever used.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry the modular isn't stupid as i got my LG G5 with the B&O DAC which still to this day is recognized as the best sounding phone out there with DAC installed thus making it a worthwhile accessory.

That's a nice set up but I'd rather have the V20

ChrisS9938

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
DAC isn't available where I live.

I don't know about the V20, I don't have an iPhone 6 Plus because of the size difference when I got the phone, I opted for more memory instead. I can do the G6, but the form factor on the G20 may be more than I could deal with as a daily driver, especially for less than 1/2 inch of screen real estate. I handled all of last year's phones and can honestly say the G5 had the best "in-hand" feel for me of the bunch. I could've done a Galaxy S7 too, but I like the G5 better and as yet, new in-box S7's are nowhere near as cheap.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I just grabbed the G5 a few months back on the cheap. So far, I really like the phone, and for the price, you can't go wrong.

hashfork

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
I wish more manufacturer's went the modular route, but yeah the G5 wasn't the most popular phone of all time. Look at OnePlus if funds are tight, you can probably pick up a used 3 for around $300.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't even think about the whole modular design thing. It didn't work out, but that doesn't make the G5 a bad phone. It has a great camera, nice screen, gets good cell reception, feels good in the hand, finger print sensor is flawless, and if I need to swap out the battery, it's easy to do. For the prices it's selling for now, it's a steal.

ChrisS9938

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda married to Verizon for the time being due to my location. That limits my options on non-carrier phones. Otherwise I would've been shopping phones like the OnePlus long ago.

kraze4u

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site

DAC was not released in the US market.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
DAC isn't available where I live.

I don't know about the V20, I don't have an iPhone 6 Plus because of the size difference when I got the phone, I opted for more memory instead. I can do the G6, but the form factor on the G20 may be more than I could deal with as a daily driver, especially for less than 1/2 inch of screen real estate. I handled all of last year's phones and can honestly say the G5 had the best "in-hand" feel for me of the bunch. I could've done a Galaxy S7 too, but I like the G5 better and as yet, new in-box S7's are nowhere near as cheap.

The G5 was an awesome choice, OP! Heard good things about it and also, I agree with you: it feels really good in the hand. Enjoy!

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I've had mine for more than a year now. It's a great phone. The only issue I have is the GPS can be a bit stubborn. Awesome cameras. IR blaster. I know that there are brighter phones out there now but it's the only phone I've ever had that I could use in the bright sun. The battery charges lickity split and lasts for the better part of the day. Besides.. I have a spare that I rarely use. That feature will come in handy when the phone gets older. And for the price???
It does feel really good to hold and use with one hand. It's also lightning fast and I've had even more than 50 apps opened at once and never knew it.

It's my third LG phone with no issues. (knock on wood) My two Nexus 4's are both still in service. They're 3-1/2 years old now.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for more than a year now. It's a great phone. The only issue I have is the GPS can be a bit stubborn. Awesome cameras. IR blaster. I know that there are brighter phones out there now but it's the only phone I've ever had that I could use in the bright sun. The battery charges lickity split and lasts for the better part of the day. Besides.. I have a spare that I rarely use. That feature will come in handy when the phone gets older. And for the price???
It does feel really good to hold and use with one hand. It's also lightning fast and I've had even more than 50 apps opened at once and never knew it.

It's my third LG phone with no issues. (knock on wood) My two Nexus 4's are both still in service. They're 3-1/2 years old now.
Hi Greedog, my G5 is close to a year old now, and the GPS has really started to misbehave and it seems to be happening more and more. Any ideas? Overall Iove this phone, but must admit that my patience is starting to weigh thin... Wonder if the G6 has a better GPS chipset?

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I like my G5. I think it is a good size. I had a Samsung S5 before that its only a bit bigger mostly longer. I did have some Trouble and sent it to the repair depot but its back running Nougat 7.0 and LTe is working great agsin. I find it fast and the 32 Gb plus my SD card give plenty of storage for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87