No Hi-Fi Quad DAC for USA market

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
This is somewhat expected. The V20 is considered the power user's phone, costs $799.99 unlocked. The G6 is marketed towards the average consumer who simply wanted a beautiful and waterproof phone, with wireless charging, costs $599.99? (at least I hope so).

Very disappointed, but at least the upside you can always get the V20.
V20 is 400 or less now depending on carrier.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
LG got new stylists, and ergonomic designers for the G6, but underneath a shiny polished exterior lies once again some key design omissions and deletions that the competitors are offering standard. Clearly LG is going after the style and image crowd. The tech-geek, spec hounds are being ignored this time around.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see this doing well at the price it's likely to be, and if they wait to lower the price there will be more phones superior to it at that point.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Totally agree. How are they going to have it on the V20 & then downgrade while charging flagship prices? :-\ I think most people would take better sound over LG's choice of giving US consumers wireless charging instead.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
...That's what I'm saying. If the marketing message talks about high-quality audio, it will also need to address how to get high quality audio.

It actually improves any audio coming from the headphone jack. You don't need high-res audio to get better sound with a better DAC. It'll make YouTube, Spotify, Google Play Music, Pandora, and anything else with audio sound better.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I still don't really understand why LG has made different SKUs with different featuresets depending on market.

Shouldnt every G6 come with wireless charging and an improved DAC?

I guess they have done the market research. They probably don't want want two product lines with a DAC here but who know?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
They had me until I saw that. Asia market will have the DAC, but not USA or Europe. Big failure right there. The G5 was terrible with audio and my V20 sounds so good (as was the V10) . I'm not even an audiofile junkie, I just remember how terrible the G5 audio was when I owned it.

PSA: Not all LG G6’s are created equal - Android Authority

I had the v10. It did sound good. But if you want to get blown away, get an axon7. Dual dacs PLUS. dolby atmos. And its one of the highest rated phones of 2016 at about 400.00 less.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I had the v10. It did sound good. But if you want to get blown away, get an axon7. Dual dacs PLUS. dolby atmos. And its one of the highest rated phones of 2016 at about 400.00 less.

Thanks, but I like the wide angle lenses on the V20, my other favorite feature.

Another great audio feature of the LG's is the Qualcomm aptX HD audio for bluetooth. One of the only phones out there that streams high resolution audio over bluetooth.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the storage is more of a failure than anything but .. to each their own. A DAC is no concern to me so I am in that camp of Americans that don't mind normal sound. I use BT anyway 100% of the time so :p.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
LG is fast becoming just like HTC. They will never learn from their mistakes. They have to release a phone that will blow away Samsung's phone. If they would of released the 64G, quad DAC and wireless charging to every market, they would of stood a chance at beating Samsung. Every year they release a phone that they consider "good enough" and watch Samsung eat up the market.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
LG is fast becoming just like HTC. They will never learn from their mistakes. They have to release a phone that will blow away Samsung's phone. If they would of released the 64G, quad DAC and wireless charging to every market, they would of stood a chance at beating Samsung. Every year they release a phone that they consider "good enough" and watch Samsung eat up the market.

Most consumers aren't using wireless charging and even less look for a Quad DAC. A good majority of people buy a brand because it's popular and based on cosmetics.
Let's say for arguments sake they did make a phone that could beat Samsung. That would mean they would have upscale production overnight and that's not usually feasible. In today's volatile market you have tread carefully.
All that put aside I'm glad my V20 has the Quad DAC and 64gb. I don't need wireless charging even though at one time I was a big fan.

Last edited: