Always-on display- thoughts?

skyandcosmos

May 26, 2017
Visit site
I'm really liking the always-on display feature on my G6.

(It reminds me of the external OLED display on my ancient Sony Ericsson Z610 back in the day, great for quickly viewing the time).

I was wondering though- is there a risk of screen-burn with this on all the time? And what is the battery consumption?

I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.

cthunder

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe there is any screen burn, but I leave mine on all the time. I just recently set it to shutoff between 3am and 9am. Seeing if that makes a difference in my battery life.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen AOD on the G6 - does the wallpaper or image move around? If so, that will not cause a burn-in. Otherwise, I have been frequenting the G6 forums a lot and have not read of any burn-in encounters. Don't worry! :)

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I like the AOD. I usually leave my phone on my kitchen counter while I am home, so if I go somewhere else in the house then come back I can glance at it quickly to see if there is a message. I do have it set to be off from 10pm to 4:30am (I am an early riser, and early to bed as well) and it is, of course, off while it is in your pocket. Because it is not really on 24 hours, I haven't noticed any drain on my battery.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I also love the aod. I don't have any time settings for it (meaning it's on all the time) and haven't noticed any issues with sot or screen burn.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
LCD shouldn't suffer any burn-in, that's an AMOLED feature. As far as battery life, I normally get between 4-5 hours SoT and have managed to reach almost 8 with it on 24/7. And this is with a Verizon G6, @Jeremiah Bonds has gotten quite a bit better but I'm not sure if he's got AOD running.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I like AOD, but would love a notification LED as well. I used Blackberry devices for several years and those LEDs were so bright that I could see them from across the room. I didn't need to look down at the device to determine whether the notification required immediate attention. With AOD, I'm forced to look down at the display - it's just far less obvious than an LED and I miss that.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Overall I like it, I didn't use my G6 enough with out AOD turned on to do a battery comparison, but so far seems fine. I do wish there was an option to have it only turn on, or pulse, when a notification comes in? That's one feature I miss from my Droid Turbo (Moto Display). I don't really rely on the AOD as a clock very often, if I'm at a desk I always have the computer clock or another clock available to glance at for the time. Instead I find myself always glancing at it to see if there's a new notification icon. Does anyone know of any good apps that do this - turn on the AOD only when there's a notification?

Also, has anyone done a battery comparison between the default AOD and the "brighter" version? Sometimes the default version can be a little hard to see depending on where auto-brightness has the screen set... I've been meaning to start messing around with Tasker and/or IFTTT, I assume I could probably set a rule to switch to the brighter version when my phone is on my qi charger, and normal version or off when not charging.

cthunder

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Overall I like it, I didn't use my G6 enough with out AOD turned on to do a battery comparison, but so far seems fine. I do wish there was an option to have it only turn on, or pulse, when a notification comes in? That's one feature I miss from my Droid Turbo (Moto Display). I don't really rely on the AOD as a clock very often, if I'm at a desk I always have the computer clock or another clock available to glance at for the time. Instead I find myself always glancing at it to see if there's a new notification icon. Does anyone know of any good apps that do this - turn on the AOD only when there's a notification?

Also, has anyone done a battery comparison between the default AOD and the "brighter" version? Sometimes the default version can be a little hard to see depending on where auto-brightness has the screen set... I've been meaning to start messing around with Tasker and/or IFTTT, I assume I could probably set a rule to switch to the brighter version when my phone is on my qi charger, and normal version or off when not charging.

While I have not tried it personally I would set it tto brightness and then set AOD to turn off when you go to bed until you wake up. Then see how your battery life is with the brightness on.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I love AOD but I find I can barely make out the time on it at night. Doesn't seem crisp and bright enough. Loved using my Samsung Edge displays for my alarm clock. My only gripe with this phone.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Also AOD turns off every time the proximity sensor is covered. So anytime your phone is in your pocket or face down the aod turns off.

Posted via the Android Central App

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I love the AOD. Coming from Motorola 'active' display (or whatever it is called), it's a great feature. With the Moto's you had to either move the phone or wave your hand over the display to see it. With AOD, that's not needed anymore. As for battery life, it hasn't made any difference having it on or off. Also, if the phone detects itself in a pocket, the screen is off too, BTW. And the back light bleed is minimal too with AOD. That's one of the issues I had with the V10 with it's second screen back light was horrible.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
LCD shouldn't suffer any burn-in, that's an AMOLED feature. As far as battery life, I normally get between 4-5 hours SoT and have managed to reach almost 8 with it on 24/7. And this is with a Verizon G6, @Jeremiah Bonds has gotten quite a bit better but I'm not sure if he's got AOD running.

Yeah, I keep my AOD on. I get 5ish regularly and days without intensive background work apps, I can get 7-8ish.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I love AOD but I find I can barely make out the time on it at night. Doesn't seem crisp and bright enough. Loved using my Samsung Edge displays for my alarm clock. My only gripe with this phone.
I use MacroDroid so that when I plug my G6 in at night it launches a clock display (My Alarm Clock app) to give me a big clock display. When I unplug it also exits the app.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Also AOD turns off every time the proximity sensor is covered. So anytime your phone is in your pocket or face down the aod turns off.

Posted via the Android Central App

This is good to know - thanks! I'm really looking forward to seeing this in action!

darkehawke

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I love the AOD. Coming from Motorola 'active' display (or whatever it is called), it's a great feature. With the Moto's you had to either move the phone or wave your hand over the display to see it. With AOD, that's not needed anymore. As for battery life, it hasn't made any difference having it on or off. Also, if the phone detects itself in a pocket, the screen is off too, BTW. And the back light bleed is minimal too with AOD. That's one of the issues I had with the V10 with it's second screen back light was horrible.

I actually prefer the Moto Active Display to the LG version. Would be nice if we could customise it a bit more to suit individual tastes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa