Does the always on display drains to much baterry?

anon(10258037)

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys, since I got my G6 I never tried using the always on display function, because I read on some website (I cant remember the name) that AOD drains a lot of batery so I should keep it of since day one. Does anyone here tried to make a comparisson of batery using and not using the always on display function on the lg g6?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, since I got my G6 I never tried using the always on display function, because I read on some website (I cant remember the name) that AOD drains a lot of batery so I should keep it of since day one. Does anyone here tried to make a comparisson of batery using and not using the always on display function on the lg g6?

no it does not. I see a lot of people say that.. I get virtually the same battery life with it on or off.. Of course it lasts a little bit longer with it off, but it's not substantial enough for me to keep it off.. sometimes I do put my phone down face down though, that gesture will keep the AOD off

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I think I read it uses between 0.5%-1% an hour. Remember it switches off when in your pocket, so it can vary quite alot from user to user. Personally I have it turned off.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
As long as you don't have the option to increase brightness it shouldn't affect. Also you can schedule when to have it on and off which could also help you save battery if you are really worried.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As long as you don't have the option to increase brightness it shouldn't affect. Also you can schedule when to have it on and off which could also help you save battery if you are really worried.

This... I ran some tests and at the default setting, it doesn't really draw that much power... the idle drain with AOD effectively the same as that with the feature turned off. But... if you turn on the increased brightness, that gets thrown out the door. The increased brightness AOD adds about 2%/h to the idle drain. And if that doesn't sound like much over the course of a day, that's half a full charge.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Use it! It's a great function of the phone and the battery drain is miniscule at best.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Don't worry....its drain is minimal.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have AOD turned on (default settings) and haven't noticed much battery drain. I also configured the settings to turn off AOD during a specific time range at night when I'm sleeping.